Gained weight on birth control

Options
MelZweightlossjourney
MelZweightlossjourney Posts: 56 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi ladies, so I know it's a common thing to gain weight while on birth control. Did you experience this? I know I did, big time.. Prior to taking the pill I had lost almost 60 pounds and I was really proud of myself then I started taking birth control to help with my endometriosis, it wasn't even 6 months before I gained nearly 30 pounds. I've been off of the pill for over a year now and I still can't seem to shed the extra weight. Does anyone have any helpful tips they can give me? Would be much appreciated. (:

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Eat less and/or move more. Birth control messes with your hormones which can increase your appetite. Increased appetites often lead to increased calorie consumption which, of course, leads to weight gain. The pill itself won't put 30 pounds onto your body and keep it there. If you eat at a caloric deficit, you will lose weight.
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I have been on birth control for about 8 years now and it has had no impact on my weight at all. The birth control does not cause you to gain weight, but it can make you more hungry and you in turn eat more.

I am still on my BC and have been able to lose 43 lbs. I just make sure I eat the calories that MFP recommends and make sure I get my Fitbit steps in.

Lucky! It made me gain so much weight, I was even counting my calories and exercising regularly
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I've been on birth control since last December to help restart / regulate my cycles.

At most, I would say I went up a few pounds due to water retention. The rest of my gains have been largely due to my poor handling of some really crappy situations we've had. However, there has been no issue losing at a steady rate logging my food accurately.
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Eat less and/or move more. Birth control messes with your hormones which can increase your appetite. Increased appetites often lead to increased calorie consumption which, of course, leads to weight gain. The pill itself won't put 30 pounds onto your body and keep it there. If you eat at a caloric deficit, you will lose weight.

Well I'm off of the pill now for different reasons other than the fact that I gained 30 pounds. I'm always pretty conscious of what I eat, that's why I log on myfitnesspal. I've just been having a hard time losing the extra weight, even after a year of being off of it I still feel like the hormones are affecting me.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for about 6 months. I didn't gain while on it. I began my weigh loss in mid-January and have lost over 20 pounds while still on birth control. The depo shot is scientifically proven to cause weight gain, the rest just really mess with your appetite. Of course, everyone is different, but that's all they've been able to prove for all other forms of contraception besides the depo.

I do experience the increased hunger after I take my pill. That's why I take it at night. First off, most of my snacks are at night anyway, just the way I plan my day. And second off, when it increases my appetite at night, I can just drink some water, roll over and go to sleep and forget about it
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for years. I have gained weight during that time - because I chose to eat too much. I am now losing weight, and I'm still on the pill.
  • she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    Options
    While I haven't gained weight on it I have noticed i have an insatiable appetite most weeks which makes it a major struggle to control myself. Sorry yours has caused you such a frustrating problem.
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    While I haven't gained weight on it I have noticed i have an insatiable appetite most weeks which makes it a major struggle to control myself. Sorry yours has caused you such a frustrating problem.

Well really I stopped taking it because I had a period literally every week and it caused me to be in more pain than I was before with my endometriosis. I did like the fact that it cleared up my skin though and you know, prevented me from getting pregnant lol
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I've been on the pill for years. I have gained weight during that time - because I chose to eat too much. I am now losing weight, and I'm still on the pill.

That's really awesome!
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Try qlaira - the only pill I have used, my friends have used and nobody's gained weight on. It is more expensive, but at least in my experience - excellent for no weight gain side effects
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    I've been on the pill for about 6 months. I didn't gain while on it. I began my weigh loss in mid-January and have lost over 20 pounds while still on birth control. The depo shot is scientifically proven to cause weight gain, the rest just really mess with your appetite. Of course, everyone is different, but that's all they've been able to prove for all other forms of contraception besides the depo.

I do experience the increased hunger after I take my pill. That's why I take it at night. First off, most of my snacks are at night anyway, just the way I plan my day. And second off, when it increases my appetite at night, I can just drink some water, roll over and go to sleep and forget about it

Wow, 20 pounds since January? Awesome job! I should have done that when I was on it, I used to take my pill at around 2 in the afternoon, I also had a job where I wasn't very active
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, so I know it's a common thing to gain weight while on birth control. Did you experience this? I know I did, big time.. Prior to taking the pill I had lost almost 60 pounds and I was really proud of myself then I started taking birth control to help with my endometriosis, it wasn't even 6 months before I gained nearly 30 pounds. I've been off of the pill for over a year now and I still can't seem to shed the extra weight. Does anyone have any helpful tips they can give me? Would be much appreciated. (:

It's actually an urban myth that the pill causes weightloss. It may alter your hormones and make you feel more inclined to eat fatty food etc. But it wont increase your weight without your help.
    To ditch the weight it's calories in vs out im afraid to get calorie counting and exercising and it will go eventually.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    This. The pill itself doesn't cause weight gain, it's the hormones that can cause increased appetite. Eat less, move more. If you get a craving, distract yourself.
    Have been on the pill for 19+ years. I used to think the same thing, that the pill caused weight gain until I realized it was my overeating or flue retention that did.

• LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I was at my GP yesterday coincidentally for a renewal of my pill prescription and we were talking about side effects. She said that there is actually no peer accredited evidence to prove that any of the pills are responsible for weight gain.

She said that the vast majority of cases have experienced mood swings and that leads to eating more than they recall or record. Others have increased appetite that they don't realise and don't account for it with additional activity or food control.

You need to talk to your doctor to review your prescription, your diet and lifestyle.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My sister had mood issues with one pill, switched to a different one and is fine. I'm on a generic version of Alesse, and have never experienced any bad side effects at all. But if I had an uncomfortably increased appetite, I'd definitely talk to my doctor and try something new.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I have been on birth control for about 8 years now and it has had no impact on my weight at all. The birth control does not cause you to gain weight, but it can make you more hungry and you in turn eat more.

I am still on my BC and have been able to lose 43 lbs. I just make sure I eat the calories that MFP recommends and make sure I get my Fitbit steps in.

This for me too, bc had no affect on my weight.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

Well I'm off of the pill now for different reasons other than the fact that I gained 30 pounds. I'm always pretty conscious of what I eat, that's why I log on myfitnesspal. I've just been having a hard time losing the extra weight, even after a year of being off of it I still feel like the hormones are affecting me.

If you've been off for a year, there's no way it's still affecting you. If you think you have a medical issue, like a thyroid issue, you should see your doctor and get tested. Most likely you are eating more than you think. Maybe it seems "easy" to blame on a pill you took a long time ago, I think it's even easier to accept responsibility that you can change and control your own behavior even if it is often difficult. Because that puts you in the driver's seat. Get a food scale, weigh everything you put in your mouth. Log accurately. Every time you aren't losing what you think you should be, get more serious about your logging. Make sure you are choosing accurate entries, weighing your cereal, meat, rice, veggies, EVERYTHING.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can blame the pill. I was fat when I started the pill, and now I'm 25 pounds lighter.