Transition from not enough cals

Options
2»

Replies

• mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My question is how do you determine the amount of food you are taking in? Do you weigh your foods? Do you count every last bite of food you eat? Weighing does not take but a couple extra seconds longer and is far more accurate than measuring. I agree that you need to get your TSH, T3 and T4 checked. Your meds may be off and that will make it much harder to lose weight as you will have no energy. How do you calculate your exercise? Do you use a HR monitor? A step counter? An app like Map my Walk? How frequently do you exercise and what kinds of exercise are you doing? All these things make a difference. Many people think they are doing far more than they are. You need to log everything! Do not eat back all of your exercise calories try no more than 25%. Just a few thoughts to consider.
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't really think people were nasty about it. Some were a tad brash with their wording.

All of the posts tried to give helpful information. A few (including mine) weren't supporting your idea of "starvation mode". Sorry- doesn't exist in the context you are thinking about it.

It's very common that people attribute their own shortcomings and setbacks on outside sources (i.e. Starvation mode made me put on weight while eating 1300 calories). It's human nature- and a heavily studied phenomenon in cognitive psychology.

You can't cherry pick what information you listen to in order to confirm your suspicions. Think critically about starvation mode. Holocaust victims... Anorexics, etc. Why are/were they not overweight if starvation mode were true?

Years ago, I was treated for anorexia. I ate 300-500 calories a day. I kept losing weight until I entered treatment. Why did I not gain? Surely if 1300 calories prompts starvation mode, 500 calories would also, correct? Do you see the problem with that logic?

You also got very helpful posts as it pertains to hypothyroidism. So take that information into consideration as it seems very helpful.

I've heard the same story over & over again. From the same people who published these same facts. But neglected so much. No one is willing to go to the depths of health & wellbeing. So many people are stating the obvious that you could grasp from any textbook or article you've read or a "fitness gurus" explanation. It dosent take a genius to understand "Calorie in Vs Calorie Out" Health is more than that.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Yup, guess so. Its hard to find reasons for overeating these days. The phrase 'Starvation Mode' makes it all so much easier to just go ahead and pig out without consciousness.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Oh- OP, I am not saying this to you specifically. You had a genuine question based on what your (misguided) doctor told you. And it's good to ask questions about anything you are unsure of.

This is more towards others who will just not listen to logic, reason and science.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The sad thing is that this starvation mode junk isn't going to go away. As long as there are people who can't take personal responsibility of their food intake and in turn gain weight from it, there will be plenty that will believe in starvation mode simply because they don't want to admit to themselves that they have to eat less.

It sounds harsh, but that's the reality of it!

This. People are forever looking for a reason other than "you eat more than you need to maintain" for their weight gain and inability to lose weight. After all, who wants to admit that they eat too much? I sure as heck didn't! I was one of those for a long, long time. I woke up and took responsibility.. Once I took responsibility, it was easier to lose the weight.
    Oh- OP, I am not saying this to you specifically. You had a genuine question based on what your (misguided) doctor told you. And it's good to ask questions about anything you are unsure of.

This is more towards others who will just not listen to logic, reason and science.
    And, this.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I think the perpetuation of "starvation mode" comes down to two things mostly. One it is a convent excuse. It allows you to say "I am doing everything right and to the letter" when in reality you have a couple days a week you don't log, or go "off program" more often than you want to admit. It gives a nice boogie man to blame for our own short comings. Not to say this is the OP at all, maybe they fall into the second section.

The second thing is I think that "starvation mode" does in fact exist for some. NOT as a physical metabolic reaction, but rather as a mental one. When you eat a VLCD, most people have real physical side effects from it. You are lethargic, weak, you don't sleep well, and your mood just sucks. When you feel this way I think subconsciously you start cutting back on the calories out part of CI/CO. Maybe you park a little closer to the store, you just don't move as much. You go into the gym and think you are killing it because you are soaked in sweat and exhausted, but you were already exhausted when you walk in so you just didn't go as hard as you thought.

Then you hear about starvation mode, so you up your calories by a couple hundred. Instantly you feel better, everything is clearer, you sleep better and have loads of energy. So now you purposely park farther away, you move more throughout the day. You walk into the gym and absolutely crush your workout. All of this leads to much higher calorie burns overall. So you end up netting less than on the VLCD. There is also the mental bonus of it being easier to stay "on program" you aren't as miserable so you spend less willpower just getting out of bed, and have more To spend on making better food choices. Because of all that you suddenly start to lose weight again.

So in your head to think "wow there really is something to starvation mode". All your conscious mind registers is "I ate 1200 calories and didn't lose a thing, then upped it to 1500 and stared dropping weight. Therefore starvation mode=true". When in reality the improvement to mood and how you feel just allowed you to burn more calories throughout the day. At least that is the theory that I subscribe to.

Actually, I really agree with that "mental" starvation mode. Never thought about it that way. I know when I haven't eaten enough, I feel awful and don't move beyond absolute necessity. I tend to forget to eat when I'm busy, so it occasionally does happen to me.