Is it ok to be under my calorie goal?

Options
I've been using the MFP app for a few months now and notice that I am always under my calorie goal, even on days where I "pig out". I tried making myself reach the 1200 calorie goal a few times and it just made me feel sick and stuffed. I'm not starving myself or limiting myself to fewer calories on purpose. Is it ok for me to be under since I just can't seem to handle the 1200?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Are you burning crazy calories?
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    You must be burning alot of calories then?
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Generally, within 100 under or over is fine. However, chronic lack of appetite can be a signal of severely decreased metabolism. A couple of threads that may help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175241-a-personal-view-on-exercise-cals-and-underfeeding

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works

As for how to increase cals in a healthy way:

Planning is key. Focus on balanced macros (protein/fat/carbs) in each meal/snack. Start with making sure to eat at least 3 meals a day. Breakfast is important when you're trying to overcome a habit of irregular eating or underfeeding. Once you've adjusted to that, add in snacks. Then, gradually increase the amount of cals in each meal/snack. Just 50 cals more for each meal/snack adds up. If you know you'll be working out, increase cals throughout the day.

If you're not feeling hungry, a good way to increase cals without much volume is healthy fats from natural oils (olive/canola), nuts and nut butters (almonds, pistachios, walnuts), and avocados. Also, I would stay away from "low cal" or "low fat" options. Partly because you want to increase cals, and partly because those foods are usually processed and not nutrient dense, and the cals or fat they take out is replaced by sugar (real or substitute) and sodium - not a good trade off. A fruit smoothie, protein shake or chocolate milk are good cal boosters, because drinking cals can be easier than eating when you aren't feeling hungry.

Typically, it may be hard for a few days or a week, but your body will adjust to the increased intake and you'll find it isn't an issue for long. Eating more will truly help your metabolism, and your appetite will increase with it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I've been using the MFP app for a few months now and notice that I am always under my calorie goal, even on days where I "pig out". I tried making myself reach the 1200 calorie goal a few times and it just made me feel sick and stuffed. I'm not starving myself or limiting myself to fewer calories on purpose. Is it ok for me to be under since I just can't seem to handle the 1200?

For most people 1200 should be seen as a minimum. If you are quite small, short, you may be able to eat less and be fine.

To increase calories, add nuts, seeds, and dehydrated fruit as a snack, eat higher fat versions of the foods you are eating such as milk, yogurt, salad dressings, etc. Add olive oil to soups and sauces, add avocado to salads and sandwiches. Have a glass of juice in place of 1 glass of water. You don't have to eat more quantity of food to ingest more caloires, just make different food choices.
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you are exercising. If you are way below your calories, you probably need to eat higher calorie snacks/food like nuts or avacado. I try to keep my calories at 1500 regardless of how much I exercise. However, when I'm hungry, I eat! I don't think there is any need to "make" yourself eat...just choose higher calorie food if you need more! :)
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    if you are doing nothing and you cannot handle eating 1200 calories, then I think you may have an issue here! That's not a good sign =[ that should be the miminum amount you eat daily.

Now if you cannot NET 1200, then that is fine. I can never ever net my calories. I usually burn around 500-1000 a day, so some days I just cannot stomach 2200 calories NET. I usually am under weekly 400+ calories per day. Not a big deal
  • ldgarcia
    ldgarcia Posts: 6
    Options
    It seems to be a mixture of burning a lot of calories and just not being able to consume a full 1200. I workout several days a week rotating Zumba, Pilates and cardio. I usually end up around 800 calories and there have even been a few days where after a workout that I fell into the negative zone. I eat 3 healthy meals a day and snack midafternoon, usually fresh vegetables, fruit or cashews. This has always been a normal routine for me but I never noticed how far under I was until I got the MFP app. Even though I feel like I am healthy it appears that maybe something is wrong.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It seems to be a mixture of burning a lot of calories and just not being able to consume a full 1200. I workout several days a week rotating Zumba, Pilates and cardio. I usually end up around 800 calories and there have even been a few days where after a workout that I fell into the negative zone. I eat 3 healthy meals a day and snack midafternoon, usually fresh vegetables, fruit or cashews. This has always been a normal routine for me but I never noticed how far under I was until I got the MFP app. Even though I feel like I am healthy it appears that maybe something is wrong.

This is a recipe for disaster, you should eat more and/or exercise less. If you are eating 1100 and burning 800, that is like eating 300 (1100-800) and not exercising, and you should never be in negative caloric intake. This is not enough for a human to live on, doing this overtime will cause you to burn more lean muscle, instead of fat. You are also going to risk malnourishment, and there is no way on that intake you are getting enough protein or fat for your body to function optimally. If you keep this up your non-life sustaining bodily functions may start shutting down (loss of hair, weak brittle nails, to name a few)