Hungry in Philly! Help?

Options
I am attending a conference in Philadelphia and it doesn't seem to matter what I eat or when, I am hungry all the time! I am talking serious hunger pangs. I am walking a lot for the conference, and I am trying to drink lots of water, but I can't handle always being hungry! I am afraid I am going to undo the last six months in one week here. I have been trying to have a good breakfast and some snacks between meals, but i still feel famished. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Misunderstood! sry aha
  • missmeg1970
    missmeg1970 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try almonds... they are chewy so it takes a minute to eat them and you only need a couple at a time to help with the grumbly tummy

Good Luck xxx
  • sandrichelle
    Options
    Snack, snack, snack...prepare some healthy snacks for the day and bring them along. Make sure you eat every 2-3 hours so you don't let your body get hungry. Fruits, veggies, nuts...portion and weigh everything! You can do it!!
  • Mommyto2B2G
    Options
    I'm from Philadelphia.... its a great place to eat because believe it or not there are quite a few healthy places around there. I suggest looking up their vegetarian restaurants...my only caution is philly loves big portions so make sure its right. If your anywhere near sansom st there is a very popular place I LOVED called the Pita Pit! Let me find you a link...http://www.phillypitapit.com/. I also recommend checking out some of the greek restaurants down there. My suggestion would be to check out their healthy places to get a nice full meal in.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Try almonds... they are chewy so it takes a minute to eat them and you only need a couple at a time to help with the grumbly tummy

Good Luck xxx

I second the recommendation of almonds. They don't make me feel "full" but they definitely help tie me over between meals.
  • punkinrn
    punkinrn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i know exactly what you are talking about, seems like there is no "filling" low calorie snacks! what works for me is 100 calorie bags of popcorn with i cant believe its not butter spray! feels so bad and yummy! water with fresh lemon is a nice trick, sometimes it works and sometimes the bottom line is you're just hungry! for me my body had to get used to eating like 2000 calories to 1200. i have two little kids that keep me distracted so i dont have time to think about it, but when i do, i try to occupy myself. pick up a book and read. you usually have to use two hands to hold and turn pages, not like sitting in front of the tv in a trance having no idea how much you're eating! oh yeah, pretzels are a good snack with a diet coke, that really does fill me up til the next meal!
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    I agree with all these snack ideas. Just stay away from Pat's and Geno's--beware the cheesesteak!
  • sweetmanjd
    sweetmanjd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Maybe when you are feeling famished, after a meal and/or snack, try writing a little bit about what's going on in your day - a little journaling might shed some light on what's going on. I suspect it is more about boredom or stress than real hunger. Could be you are feeling the need to be in control of something, since you aren't in control of your schedule right now.
    Ask yourself to jot down everything you've eaten in the day, how it correlates to events, and check in with your body to see if it's actually hungry or needing something else.
    Other than that and healthy snacking, are you exercising?
    Maybe a little yoga and/or meditation is in order.
    At the very least, a 5 minute deep breathing exercise in a quiet place.
    Stick with your program girl. You're doing great!!!
  • swtlps73
    swtlps73 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes yes yes to all previous post. Eat small healthy snacks frequently and almonds are great to curb your appetite because they are high in protein. If you can pack somethings else high in protein for your appetite and then in fiber to give you that full feeling. And if you are doing quite a bit more walking than usual then your going to have to keep up with your metabolism speeding up and burning more calories... You can do it!!! Keep up the great work, stay focused and strut that stuff while your walking around that conference.... if you feel great about yourself you wont want to just throw all that hard work out the window! ;-)