Anyone else give up drinking?

Options
2»

Replies

• LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Hello. October 2016 will be 9 years dry for me. It wasn't easy in the beginning, but I have 0 regrets. :)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I stopped buying any alcohol to have at home last summer/early fall and it's been helpful for my weight loss. I still get a glass of wine or a mixed drink when I go out but that's fairly infrequent.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Gave up drinking about decade ago after drinking 1/2 bottle of wine a day or so. Affected my personality and health. Don't miss it a all. You have to ask yourself- do you drink for the effect, taste, social acceptance or all 3?
  • aprilkorn
    aprilkorn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am too. I was drinking two bottles 1.5 litres total myself at least 3 evening per week for the last six months or so. I knew I was consuming a lot of calories but was in denial. I have 12 days in now and feeling much better.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My pancreas made me give up alcohol against my will :'(
    And i definitely eat more calories now. Used to be satisfied with a bowl of steamed veggies for dinner if paired with a nice wine! Now I actually want food if I can't have drinks.
    Also drinking makes me want to exercise more. Love a buzzed run!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I should give it up. I got so wasted on Friday I fell and bruised my butt. What did I do last night? I drank 3 beers. UGGGGGGGGGG. I would love to give up alcohol 4 ever but, I love that buzz I get. LOL
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    nah. some of the fittest people i know indulge in an occasional drink.
  • doccnm
    doccnm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »
    Sort of? When I began losing weight, I calculated the calories in wine that I was drinking per week and it came in at 4,000!!!!! FOUR THOUSAND PER WEEK.

Seeing that it was pretty easy to cut back. I'm down to one 2-3 oz mixed drink every other day, and it has made a huuuuuuge difference in my weight loss. I'm not a really big "food" person, but I AM an alcohol person. It's going good, though. I am somewhat proud of me :)

I haven't stopped drinking totally but I rarely drink. In the past month I've had 2 glasses of wine. I've had periods where I drank daily and felt no side effects and other periods where I've had 2 glasses or wine or beer & felt terrible the next day (headache, nauseous). I'd rather get to the gym at 6 am then have a drink the night before. I noticed that my skin looks better, my stomach got flatter (no weight loss though) and I sleep much better. It is a good experiment to see how abstinence or minimal intake makes one feel.
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Whilst losing weight I gave up drinking alcohol completely. People kept saying I should have a treat every so often but for me I had to give it up as I couldn't trust myself to overindulge. The same with chocolate and junk food.i occasionally have it now but not often and only when I want to
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I gave up about three years ago and find that I have more fun socially than when I drank. I used to enjoy wine and I did try a glass three weeks ago but it tasted like vinegar, guess that's because I have not had any for so long. One sip was all I could handle.