Suspecting the new digital scale of inaccuracy.

Options
JeromeBarry1
JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
I suspected something was wrong with my new digital food scale. It measured a Harvestland Boneless Chicken Breast at 95 g. I ate the whole thing. As I was chowing through my plate of food for dinner, I distinctly felt that it was piled higher and taking longer than usual. After it measured my pickle at 5 grams, which was not 40% the size of yesterday's pickle measured at 12 grams, I removed one of the batteries to reset the computer. After I reinserted the battery I asked the scale to weigh another Harvestland Boneless Chicken Breast. 247 g. Now I'm going to need a standard unit of some kind to check the accuracy of the scale now.

How often does your digital scale go stupid?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Never.

You do realize that those chicken breasts are not going to be the same, right? When I buy chicken, none of them are ever even close to the same weights.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Never.

You do realize that those chicken breasts are not going to be the same, right? When I buy chicken, none of them are ever even close to the same weights.
    Yep!
    I've also had cuts that visually look similar but end up being completely different weights too.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Never.
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    Different by more than 100%?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Different by more than 100%?

Yes. I've had chicken breasts different by 100g. It happens.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the brand, but I purchased one scale that was total crap. I checked the scale with my Fitbit and G3, the weight was off by a huge margin.

If you're really worried, weigh an electronic or a coin.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Never.

Or any other breasts. :o:Do:)
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Mines a manual scale so I'm certain when it is off.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I know when my scale seems iffy it's time to change the battery. For example, I was measuring out broccoli, I was adding and adding the florets to the bowl till it was starting to overflow for a grand total of 63g. When I changed the battery it end up being over 450g.
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    Well, it may have been an over-reaction on my part. This morning's weigh-in was in-line with my expectation, leading me to think that I didn't inadvertently over-consume at one meal. Certainly the breakfast components weight was reasonable this morning.
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Weigh something fairly standard, like a 1lb bag of beans. If it doesn't come really close to 454g you have a problem.
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Water weight of food, batteries, etc. A cup of water is 8oz by volume and weight. Tare your cup measuring device and fill with water.
  • 2015Jason
    2015Jason Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    True that, I used the cup of water method and found that my scale was of by a bunch. Had to get a new one.