Dessert for dinner??

Options
Hey y'all, I'm not really new to calorie counting but I am about to start it up accurately. I really want to improve my fitness for college dance line tryouts next year. This is going to sound odd, but do y'all think it would be bad to have dessert for dinner once a week? This would mean I would still get to indulge my main craving, chocolate cake, but I would still be in my calorie limit. I know foods are not "good" or "bad" but I feel like this might somehow make me feel like I am treating myself to a "bad" food once a week and it will be detrimental to my fitness. Thoughts?

Replies

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    If you've gotten all your micronutrients for the day then go for it!

Sometimes eating a slice of cake is way easier than cooking up dinner lol.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Well, the issue I would have with dessert for dinner is that most desserts while being a lot of calories aren't very filling or helping much to meet my nutritional needs so I would want to eat more food than if I had just eaten a regular dinner and a smaller dessert portion. I can eat something like a piece of pie for breakfast occasionally and be perfectly okay with my normal eating for the rest of the day though.
    I guess you'd just have to try it and see how it works out for you.
  • GoldenGirlLiv
    GoldenGirlLiv Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for answering y'all. Yeah I figure it wouldn't be that filling, but I am the type of person that would pick taste over quantity lol. I figure if its just once a week, it wouldn't hurt to try it. I think it might help with that terrible thing called "moderation". Ugh, that is a tough concept for me when it comes to chocolate lol. If I could, I would choose sugar for every meal of the day, all the time :)
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I would totally eat cake over dinner if I could get it to fit into my day. Eat it slow, drink water between each bite and enjoy each morsel.
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You could also save 100 calories every day or exercise to "win" those calories. A good run follow by a long walk can burn me 600+ calories! All options you can try to fit your cake in your week :)
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Desserts tend to not be filling, like the poster above mentioned. However, I take elements of dessert and add them to foods with a lot of protein and/or fiber that help keep me full. For example, I make what I call an Greek Yogurt Rolo Oreo McFlurry, and eat it for any meal. It's greek yogurt (I use plain and add vanilla, but you could just use vanilla-flavored greek yogurt), with 4 oreo cookies crushed and added to the yogurt, and rolo syrup. It's very sweet, but actually keeps me full because of the protein.

I also make oatmeal with things like cocoa powder and peanut butter added in (as well as egg whites for added protein). Keeps me full and tastes like dessert! There are tons of different oatmeal recipes online.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    I'm an adult and have pizza for breakfast if I damn well please, I don't care what those Bagel Bites parents say.

What are Bagel Bites parents?
    Why would pizza be bad for breakfast?
    Is it a dessert pizza?
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It will surely keep your cravings for it alive and roaring. If you crave sweets, eat some protein or fat. 1 oz. of 70% dark chocolate would be better than cake.
  • PamelaW41
    PamelaW41 Posts: 287 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm an adult and have pizza for breakfast if I damn well please, I don't care what those Bagel Bites parents say.

OMG I LOL. I say this all the time, I'm a grown woman and can do what I want.... LOL
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

This!

The main issue with making dessert a meal is the sugar crash that follows. If it's a later dinner, it's not a big deal though. But I'd only do that if I had met my protein goal for the day (or close enough). Or once in a while... whatever.
  • GoldenGirlLiv
    GoldenGirlLiv Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies y'all!! i think I will try that greek yogurt and oreos thing, it sounds good. I have decided that I am not going to plan a "dessert meal" specifically but I will let myself fit some desserts in my calories from time to time. I have found that it is pretty easy to fit a reasonable amount of anything into my calories on maintenance :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It will surely keep your cravings for it alive and roaring. If you crave sweets, eat some protein or fat. 1 oz. of 70% dark chocolate would be better than cake.

There's nothing wrong with having cake/sweets in moderation. I'd rather do that than find something to beat the craving and end up bingeing because I resisted for so long.

Anyway, to the OP: I would personally save up for it like others said. The only time I ate dessert for dinner was when I had cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory, and it was half a slice since it was so high in calories.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The best dessert meal I eat is a peanut buster parfait from DQ.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have been known to eat a huge bowl of cereal for dinner. I feel so decadent. I leave room for a bit of sweet if I want it daily.