What to eat before working out?

So, I have been tracking my calories for about 3 weeks now and have lost almost 10 pounds so I decided to jump into working out again finally during the workout I was feeling good it felt nice to finally get back to it but when I finished I felt lightheaded and still 30 minutes after working out I feel sort of lightheaded and just not feeling good. I think it has to do with what I ate before the workout. For breakfast I had a fruit smoothie and then worked out about 30 minutes after that. What do I need to eat pre-workout so I don't feel this way?

Replies

• DCM14
    DCM14 Posts: 8 Member
    Everyone's a little different, some people eat, some eat a little and some dont eat anything at all. I would try all three to see how you feel and what works best with you. I usually eat a lite meal mostly carbs and protein before a workout. Eggs and ground turkey some bread slices. Good luck with your work outs!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    a smoothie might be too much sugar that gets rapidly burned by the time you have your workout, and then you are kinda crashing mid workout. Try something slower to digest like protein. maybe some egg whites or bacon. or even a protein shake. I like a protein shake and i sip it while i'm working out.

your lightheadedness might also be just because you started working out and your body isn't used to it. Maybe start out slower or pace yourself better until you get your body used to it.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    I usually just have fruit and/or nuts or toast with nut butter. Sometimes I'll have coffee before on the weekends.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Everyone is different and like the other posters said it could be because you are just starting again. I don't like to eat before my work outs but if I do I usually chose something with some protein and/or complex carbs. The fruit smoothie (while healthy!) may have been too much sugar before a hard work out. Make sure you are well hydrated too. If my nutrition & hydration isn't great my work outs always suffer. Try timing your food differently and see what works best for you.