You can't eat that!

Options
So many people actually believe that one must starve themselves while trying to lose weight. Yesterday I made a coffee crumb cake that was on the counter cooling. My sister in law comes by and smells the cinnamon glory wafting through the house.
She asks what's that delicious smell? I said I made a coffee crumb cake and I can't wait to taste it. "Oh did you give up already? Because you can't eat that!
Why can't I? Because you're on a diet right? I'm fine don't worry I say, not feeling like explaining it's accounted for because it's not like she'll believe me. Smh, I purposely took a giant bite and watched her head explode like those jet commercials :D:p
Is there a way you explain to ppl I don't have to starve and can eat what I want within my calories? Or do you just ignore it?

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    That's why I don't tell people I'm doing this. When they notice I've lost they always ask, "how much?" and I reply, "a few pounds."
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I just ignore it. It doesn't matter to me what other people do or believe.

If people get pushy with me, I'll push back, but that doesn't happen that often.
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You already said it - "I don't have to starve and can eat what I want within my calories". If people can't wrap their heads around that simple statement, it's their issue! :)
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I haven't directly said I'm dieting to anyone. They all have noticed my weight loss, or have seen my new gym equipment set up in my dining room.
    And for goodness sakes don't I dare pass on a meal from the food pushers. The "are you on a diet" questions start flying.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Food pushers make me so glad that most of my family can't cook. The only ones who would notice are my co workers and most just brush it off as being tired of smelling the food we make
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I would of done the same. Usually I take a little extra and say uummmmm yummy yummy. And take another bite and laugh
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I never tell anyone what I'm doing as far as trying to lose weight. No one thinks I need to lose. It's not up to them. I may not be terribly over weight, but I am uncomfortable with myself. So, I just do what I want and keep my mouth shut. They notice that I don't eat all the junk that is brought into work. But, they have no idea I'm actually trying to lose weight. I also don't say anything, because I always have the struggle of giving up. If they don't know I'm trying, they can't give me crap when I quit.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Lol their eyes almost bulging out when they see me with ice cream everyday ...
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have stopped caring what others think about my food choices. I used to binge and hide what I ate from people all the time, now I just eat what I choose to eat. For the most part people are actually more concerned about having food I will eat available and when I tell them I will manage they seem surprised.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    [snip]

"Oh did you give up already?"

[snip]

That right there is worthy of a busted lip. (just because I'm a pacifist, it doesn't mean I don't feel rage.)
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    My opinion that's why diets don't work. Diets have a negative connotation and you're constantly sacrificing something you enjoy. I've been on diets before and had a miserable time and that's why I failed.

What I've begun is a lifestyle change we are on educating myself on how much and what to eat.
    More than anything I've become accountable to myself because I don't want to go back.

Make a long story short I went on vacation ate too much drink too much one month later I'm down 10 and a half pounds from before I went on vacation. Enjoy the crumb cake cuz I've been enjoyed it myself on this journey everything in moderation.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend knows not to question me. He knows that I carefully consider what I eat.

My friends, however, don't have a clue. When they ask me why I'm not getting a 3am food truck sandwich with them, I just say "No thanks, I'm good"... because otherwise I'd sound judgemental.
  • miss_ek
    miss_ek Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing with my weight loss journey and simply I make it clear. you can eat WHATEVER you want its HOW Much you eat.