Not losing anything!

Options
So I have been back on track with diet and exercise for about 5 weeks. The 1st couple of weeks I was going to the gym 3 days a week and mfp gave me 1700 calories a day. I wasn't always eating them all, but did sometimes. Nothing was happening, so I dropped my calories to 1490 (to lose 2 pounds a week), and have upped my workouts to 6 days a week... still haven't lost a single damn pound. What is going on?! I have always been able to lose weight pretty easy when I work for it, and this time I can't even lose a pound when I am working super hard!

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open, so I can't see how you're tracking your food intake. Do you weigh all of your food on a digital food scale? Measure liquids with measuring cups/spoons? Log everything?

Bottom line: you're eating more than you think you are, and/or overestimating what you burn.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,837 Member
    Options
    Was the 3-times-a-week gym routine new 5 weeks ago? You can hold onto water weight for muscle repair when you increase workouts. If you started a new routine 5 weeks ago, then more or less doubled it 2-3 weeks ago, this could be a factor, especially if you throw time of month, extra sodium consumption, or any other water weight factors in there around the same time. It seems like you should've been through one complete monthly cycle by now, though, so I would think you'd start seeing some loss soon.

I agree with @booksandchocolate12's point about weighing food, logging, and the potential for overestimating exercise, too.

But if you double-check all that, and are on point, I'd give it another couple of patient weeks before panicking about it. Some people do lose in a more step-wise fashion, plateau then whoosh . . . and it's never linear.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with @booksandchocolate12 and @AnnPT77. Their recommendations are spot on. Look at your logging. How are you determining your calorie burn? A digital food scale is a must. Are you using a tracker or HRM? Your guesstimates may be off.
  • julyMommytimes2
    julyMommytimes2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I measure using measuring cups and spoons. I'm currently on my second cycle since starting. It's a fresh routine when it comes to weight training, but Cardo I have always been off and on with. I log using mfp, Samsung health and just started using a fitbit flex
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale. Weigh all solids, use cups for liquids.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,837 Member
    Options
    I measure using measuring cups and spoons. I'm currently on my second cycle since starting. It's a fresh routine when it comes to weight training, but Cardo I have always been off and on with. I log using mfp, Samsung health and just started using a fitbit flex

Then a bit +1 to get a food scale if you possibly can afford it.

Cups/spoons are less accurate, require more washing up, and a food scale is quicker/easier once you learn the tips/tricks**. They only cost $20 or so.

Your fitbit should help you improve the exercise estimating vs. MFP (haven't used Samsung Health, so I can't compare that).

The new weight routine - especially if you're feeling some sore muscles - is somewhat likely to have added a bit of water weight that will temporarily mask fat loss.

** Some of the scale tips/tricks:
    • For things like yogurt (peanut butter, pre-shredded cheese, etc.), put the whole jar/container/bag on the scale, zero (tare) it, take out some, and read the negative value on the scale to get the amount to log. If you want to match the serving size on the container, just make sure to take that much out.
    • For things like salad ingredients (or soup/casserole/etc ingredients you're assembling in a pan or baking dish), put the dish or pan on the scale, zero it, add an ingredient to the dish, note the amount, zero again, add the next ingredient, zero, etc., until everything's in the dish or pan.
    • Personally, I like to keep a few recycled plastic yogurt-tub lids on hand to toss on the scale if I want to weigh a small amount of something messy, so I don't have to keep washing little bowls or whatever, or wipe the scale platform. Put a lid on the scale, zero, put the item on the lid, record the weight. The lid is just a quick rinse under the faucet to clean.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options