HIIT time?

Options
Hi all! I've just started doing HIIT and I read on my workout guide that I should do it for 10-15min but Im wondering if this is including the "rest" time or is it only the actual running time?

Im supposed to run 30sec and stop 30sec. Thank you!

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    If you can do even 10 30-on, 30-off cycles at first (with the "on" being max effort), you'll be doing well. Don't forget to warm up and cool down before and after.
  • MarialejandraMarrero
    MarialejandraMarrero Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! Im sorry but Im still confused :( so I would workout for a total of 20min?
    Thanks for your help!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You can work out for 20 minutes if you CAN. If you are new to HIIT and actually doing a true HIIT protocol (this would include going as absolute hard as you can for the 30 secs on), 20 minutes is a lot.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Starting out, I'd say a typical HIIT workout would be of the form:

10 minutes warmup
    30 seconds max effort
    30 seconds recovery
    30 seconds max effort
    30 seconds recovery
    30 seconds max effort
    30 seconds recovery
    30 seconds max effort
    30 seconds recovery
    30 seconds max effort
    30 seconds recovery
    30 seconds max effort
    30 seconds recovery
    30 seconds max effort
    30 seconds recovery
    30 seconds max effort
    30 seconds recovery
    30 seconds max effort
    30 seconds recovery
    30 seconds max effort
    10 minutes cool-down

That's, um, about 30 minutes total. However, unless you're in pretty good shape already, good luck. 10 cycles of max effort with only 30 seconds of recovery would have most people puking.
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    No way do you need a ten minute warm up and cool down.

Five min warmup
    HIIT workout (intense activity interspersed with recovery... usually slower movement, but can be more like resting)
    Cool down only if you want to... I don't bother as your heart rate comes down quickly anyhow.
    Stretching as necessary (3-6 mins)

10 whole HIIT mins might be tough the first time... but good luck!
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't skimp on the warm-up. Good way to pull a muscle is to go straight to max effort with no real warm-up. So yeah, a ten minute light jog is recommended.

For starting I would suggest 8 intervals of 20 secs intense, 80 secs recovery.

Total time for the complete workout I outlined above would be 22 mins. Longer if you add a 5-10 min cool down.
  • JenRainbow1
    JenRainbow1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just follow Fitness Blender's HIT workouts. You have to make sure you don't a warm up and a cool down(including stretching), not all the videos have them. It is quite tough at first but keep at it.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm in pretty good shape in my opinion and I'm still doing only 10 minutes of HIIT 3x a week and working my way up. 20 minutes of HIIT. sheeesh I'd be dead on the floor. I wouldn't worry about hitting a time for now if you're a beginner just try to beat your time eventually and work your way up to more time. That's what I'm trying to do at least. Next week I'm going for 15 mins
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    sarochka85 wrote: »
    No way do you need a ten minute warm up and cool down.

If you're really putting maximum effort into the intense periods, skimping on the warm up is a good way to get injured.

But if you're not really putting the effort in, then 5 minutes should be fine.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I've just started doing HIIT and I read on my workout guide that I should do it for 10-15min but Im wondering if this is including the "rest" time or is it only the actual running time?

Im supposed to run 30sec and stop 30sec. Thank you!

Typically it counts all time, both the active recovery and the intense sprints.

30/30 is going to be fairly brutal, though, particularly as someone just starting. I'd recommend 30/20/10 instead, where it's 30 seconds low intensity (~30% effort), 20 seconds intermediate intensity (~60% max effort), 10 seconds max intensity (>90% max effort).

30/20/10 is my own preferred timing, and I take a 2 minute recovery period after every 5 reps.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Well if I consider it HIIT, I'm not doing it for a half an hour unless that's including warm up and cool down time. I think the term has become so twisted it's hard to figure out where to draw the line these days. I even saw where another poster ( @CollieFit IIRC) posted a link from ACSM that said they considered anything over 80% HR Max as HIIT. And to me... well that could just be quicker paced cardio.

I mix it up quite a bit, from true Tabata, to some longer intervals, to some max sustained at a certain output level. Of all of them, the Tabata is the most taxing on the overall scale, but I've gotten to where I can now get 8-10 intervals with my HR still under control better. But seeing a 100 BPM heart rate rise in three minutes still gets your attention.

From the messing around I do on the elliptical, things are much more under control up to about 125-130% VO2Max. Any output above that, and things get serious pretty quickly. Surprisingly, below that point, but above VO2Max, I've got where I can crank power for minutes without the same impact as just raising the intensity up higher for the more brief period.

As for warmups, yeah. Do them. To do a true Tabata on the elliptical I'm now exceeding the readout on the calories per minute to hit 170% VO2Max. There are quite a few exercises where hitting that power output would probably not be possible, as you just couldn't sprint that hard, or do certain things to that power output level. On the elliptical it takes getting cadence up to the 210-220 level, with the resistance cranked up to 12-13. I'm accelerating hard enough that I have to use the grips to hold myself down onto the machine to get the RPM up.