Frozen Meals

Options
I tend to eat them at lunch because im always on the go and its more convenient for me. I know sodium in a lot of the meals are extremely high but I noticed that the Healthy Choice meals sodium amounts are not too bad. I am just curious to know your thoughts are on frozen meals. Good for you, bad, etc. Thanks :)

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Its not just the sodium, look at all the chemicals in them. I refer to these foods as Frankin-foods, as they barely resemble "real" food. My opinion is that they may be okay in a pinch (better than most fast food) but should not be consumed daily.
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I just never think they are enough food! I try to bulk them up with a salad or adding extra veggies.... but it still always leaves me yearning for a little more. However I always keep a few in the freezer for those morning when I wake up late and am running out the door!
  • mmensah
    mmensah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I dont really like frozen food because of the sodium ...I tend to make food the night before and take to work ...frozen foods have alot of sodium and with you cooking your own foods there are really not alot of perservatives
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from them as often as possible, there are better frozen meals out there then others. my thing is too if i do eat them i normally get smart ones by Weight Watchers
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I am in fact alone. I don't really care too much how "natural" my food is. I eat some kind of frozen lunch every single day, because it is what I can manage and it is a heck of a lot better than fast food. And I am losing weight and feeling fine so its gotta be ok...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I always keep some dinners on hand for really hectic days. I do like to cook, but sometimes I just don't have time. I wouldn't beat yourself up. If you have a lower sodium breakfast and dinner - one higher sodium meal is not going to kill you.

As another poster stated - I like to add veggies to mine.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    What if you cooked food ahead of time? For example... when I make enchiladas... I make a lot of individual servings and slip most of them in the freezer for later. I only make the mess once, so that's a plus too. I do the same with other things... like homemade soups with lots of yummy things added. And then keep yourself stocked with lots of fruits and veggies. You could still do those meals you're talking about once in a while.
  • deb1130
    deb1130 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just don't like them. I've tried a lot of them because the convenience sounds so good, but I'd actually rather have almost anything else.
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    There are times when they are indeed more handy. I used to be a big Lean Cuisine person until I realized how high the sodium was and that the food just wasn't all that tasty. Someone recently turned me on to the Healthy Choice Steamers and I'm a big fan. I think they're more or about as filling as some of the bigger meals. And I like that the food looks like it might have actually come from nature and not a lab.
  • murphysraven
    Options
    I agree with Eric that frozen meals aren't good to eat on a daily basis. The amount of processing that goes into them can't be good for you long term and they are expencive in my opinion.

It does take a little preplanning in the evenings but I have been able to get together tasty whole foods that are easy to grab and go in the mornings.

Some ideas-
    Non fat yogurt
    natural granola
    fruit
    hard boiled eggs
    whole wheat english muffin (either toasted at home or at work)
    a baggie of whole grain cereal
    a handful of nuts
    chicken with a little marinade, cook in the evening and chop it up and keep it in the fridge to add to salads, sandwiches or to just grab to eat
    leftovers from a healthy dinner

I try to pair some kind of protein with my fruit or carbs because it helps me feel fuller and I don't get as hungry later in the day.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If would be way better off if you made say two meals over the weekend and split them up into frozen lunchs then alternate between them so you don't have to eat the same thing every day and just add some fresh fruit. Just stick to a lean protein and veggie and none or very little of the starches such as rice, potatos, corn and peas.

Best of Luck!
  • shortee75
    shortee75 Posts: 164
    Options
    I don't have one every day, but I do have them maybe 2-3 times during my work week. It is just my husband and I at home so I don't tend to overcook to the point of having enough leftovers to bring for lunch the next day. My frozen meals are normally Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones, but I will have to check out the Healthy Choice.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    There are times when they are indeed more handy. I used to be a big Lean Cuisine person until I realized how high the sodium was and that the food just wasn't all that tasty. Someone recently turned me on to the Healthy Choice Steamers and I'm a big fan. I think they're more or about as filling as some of the bigger meals. And I like that the food looks like it might have actually come from nature and not a lab.

I too eat the healthy choice steamers. They keep me full enough because I have a snack between meals but I have also added a salad or piece of fruit to that meal. I only worry about the calories, and most are between 200-300. I probably eat these for lunch at work, 3 times a week.