Not eating enough fat...help needed.

Options
wortn
wortn Posts: 17 Member
Hello All!
I'm trying the keto diet, and it seems to be working. I haven't weighed myself, but feel lighter and my face looks smaller. But I have problem with incorporating enough fat in my daily intake. As I'm allergic to almost all vegetables and nuts, I can only use butter, ghee and dairy. I love half and half in my coffee but it also highly influences my consumption. What do you eat high in fat and low in carbs? Avocado and peanut butter are out of question for me.
Thank you ☺

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Cook with oil if you can. 1 tbsp of coconut oil has 14 g fat and 0 carbs.
  • wortn
    Options
    I cook with ghee, which is fat. But still it's not enough to get to my 70% of fat daily.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Can you eat eggs? If so, adding extra yolks can up your fats. Choose the fattiest cuts of meat possible. Do heavy cream instead of half and half. Snack on bacon. Maybe try to find a recipe for fat bombs that don't call for vegetable oils or nut butter.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    String cheese! I am a string cheese fiend and happily eat at least one stick daily to meet my fat and protein goals.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    The yogurt I eat is 11% milk fat. It has 12g carbs per serving, though, so I only eat it once per day. It tastes so good it doesn't need any flavouring or berries or anything.
  • wortn
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    The yogurt I eat is 11% milk fat. It has 12g carbs per serving, though, so I only eat it once per day. It tastes so good it doesn't need any flavouring or berries or anything.

I eat full fat everything to include yogurt. But this is my dilemma...it's high un carbs too and takes 50% of my daily carb intake.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Wow butter is soy based and safe for people with nut allergies.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    wortn wrote: »
    I cook with ghee, which is fat. But still it's not enough to get to my 70% of fat daily.

70% or 70 grams?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Avocado, full fat salad dressing, bulletproof coffee, cream (instead of half-half), salmon, cheese, sausages, bacon, quiche, pork rinds, fat bombs, eggs...
  • luciachristenson
    luciachristenson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sun butter? It's made from sunflower seeds and is nut and soy free but it has the same amount of fat as regular peanut butter (16 grams per serving)
  • wortn
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

70% or 70 grams?

70% of daily intake. I'm on the 1200 calories per day.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Can you eat coconut? Coconut butter, unsweetened creamed coconut, unsweetened coconut chips... just a thought. :)
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Oh, also... extremely dark chocolate... like 80% and above. :)
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Could you not just double the ghee when cooking? 2tbsp rather than 1, that would surely take you a lot closer to your target.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fat by definition is about double the calories by weight compared to meat and carbs.

How about fatty fish like salmon?

I suggest a vinaigrette with a little oil and spices for your veggies.

Control the calories by careful weighing and measuring.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Try to get your fats from foods if you can. Fatty meats are probably your best bet. Avoid or limit lean meats like skinless checken breasts. Instead choose dark meat with the skin on. When eating beef, go for fatty cuts. For example, ground beef should not be lean; less than 80% lean is good. If I get stuck with lean beef I add bacon drippings to my meat. Yummy. If I get a lean steak, I butter it. Yum yum!

Eat eggs (yolks especially), and full fat dairy like hard cheese, 14+% sour cream, yogurt that is at least 9% fat, heavy whipping cream (33-50% fat) and butter. Half and half is only 10% fat. switch to heavy whippin cream or even add butter (it tastes like cream but you'll need to blend or whip it in). Pick fatty meats, including fish. Choose full fat salad dressings and put a bit extra on your salads and add some seeds on top. Add butter and melted cheese to your veggies. Olive oil can be drizzled on roasted veggies. Olives are a tasty treat too.... And bacon! ;)

If all else fails, you can make fat bombs. My favorite is 1 c melted coconut oil, 1/2c peanut butter, 10-20 drops liquid stevia, a bit of salt and vanilla. I mix it well and put it into icecube trays and freeze it. They are a tasty quick snack.
  • wortn
    Options
    Can you eat coconut? Coconut butter, unsweetened creamed coconut, unsweetened coconut chips... just a thought. :)

I'm going to try 1 tsp. and see if I have a reaction.
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    70 percent seems a little high maybe scale it back 5-10 percent usually people on keto have around 60 percent fat and put the extra into your protein to maintain some muscle mass while trying to lose weight. Just a thought!