Dealing with Body Image

Options
I am at a healthy weight currently (bmi of 24) but am trying to lose a little weight (healthily :) ) for confidence and to help with my dancing (I do ballet). I struggle a lot with body image though and was wondering what things other people will tell themselves when they are feeling upset about their size while on the journey to a healthier place. So far I have tried reminding myself that while I am not at my goal weight I am making progress and try to focus on that. What things help you?

Replies

• faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I can't completely relate to you since I'm still technically overweight. I've lost almost 100 pounds, and I'm still struggling with body image issues. While I'm happy to be smaller, I have about 21 pounds to get to my goal weight. I know that I'm the smallest I've ever been as an adult, but my brain still thinks that I'm heavy. When I'm feeling down, I remind myself of the things my body is capable of. I can run now, bend, jump, etc.... All things that were hard before. I run one 5K a month to remind myself that my body is healthy and strong. I'll never look like the unrealistic ideal I have in my head. That is okay. I treat my body well with good nutrition and exercise, and it allows me to live my life healthily!

Maybe you could try working on a difficult move in ballet. The progress you make as you continue your journey will remind you that your body is amazing!