Only running works!!!!

I have tried all types of exercises from Zumba, Pilates, p90x, insanity, biking etc. You name it and the quickest and almost only way I lose weight and drop inches is by running. I put just as much effort in all the exercises. Is this normal?

Replies

• rempejeff
    rempejeff Posts: 46 Member
    Your not eating right.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Running has a different calorie expenditure then the other exercise routines you mentioned.

Also, when you switch programs it is completely normal to hold onto water weight for a few weeks for muscle repair.

Another thing to consider, is your appetite when you switch routines. I know that lifting always leaves me feeling like I'm starving so I usually have a protein bar handy for when I leave the gym, but with running I don't feel the same intense hunger and can usually go a couple hours without feeling the need to reach for a snack.
  • spkout2005
    spkout2005 Posts: 24 Member
    Wow lol
  • Serendipity0913
    Serendipity0913 Posts: 385 Member
    I'm completely with you on this @sammyre12!! I also have done everything. The only thing I've been able to do that I can see results is running! I've wanted to be a runner and recently I started the C25K program and for the first time ever I'm seeing results. The only thing I've ever done that even comes close to it is Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. Oddly enough I was a runner in my 20's and never had a weight problem then.
  • Graphene1961
    Graphene1961 Posts: 2 Member
    1. Try eating healthy low glycemic index carbohydrates like delicious blue berries, raspberries, strawberries, cherries. Mix them up in a spinach salad or eat them as a snack. If salad avoid oil based dressings. You can sprinkle a few good nuts like raw almonds for a treat. Stay away from high glycemic index carbohydrates. Eat good proteins eggs (whites only), white fish (baked or broiled) with a little bit olive oil (cod, halibut ) stay away from trashy Talpia. Roast an organic turkey breast roast another lean good source of protein. stay away from red meats and "the other white meat" as the National Pork Board calls it.
    2. Exercise with consistency everyday for one hour.
    3. Limit alcohol - but don't eliminate if you have a problem with going without, only in moderation and as a reward when you have a good week or a particularly good work out ( like a 60 mile bike ride = one or at most two drinks).

Stick with this for 5 to six weeks and you will see the results (i.e. your weight and fitness level improve decisively). I have done this before and lost 30 lbs in six weeks. But you must stick with the exercise and diet.

Stay away from processed foods and high glycemic foods/ additives especially colored sugar/corn syrup beverages and the diet POPS. Try refreshing Seltzer water (soda water) and avoid at all these "Sports" drinks like Gatorade and there ilk they will really mess up your diet and your over all health. Drink water with fruits (types presented above) this will give you energy with a slow even burn not a insulin spiking response and crash that G-ades give you.

I am starting this diet again as of today, May Day. Give it a try and let me know how it works.

If you are interested to know how the diet progresses for me during this month of may let me know.

• chsberthelot
    chsberthelot Posts: 76 Member
    It's all about diet mostly but different types of exercises work better on diff people. It's all about finding what works best for you
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    I have run beofre and it has helped with weightloss.

This time I am walking and 30 lbs are gone.
    So for me walking can work too

The big key is watching what I eat.
  • giomarine13
    giomarine13 Posts: 10 Member
    I've lost more wait by long distance and vigorous swimming combined with running
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2016
    Clearly you aren't putting the same effort in terms of calorie burns when doing the other activities.
    These would be really hard to get a reasonable calorie estimate for: Zumba, Pilates, p90x, insanity.

But if you can't match your running burns when cycling you weren't cycling far enough/fast enough!

But we all have a favourite exercise that we enjoy and will push ourselves with so it's good you have found yours.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Clearly you aren't putting the same effort in terms of calorie burns when doing the other activities.
    These would be really hard to get a reasonable calorie estimate for: Zumba, Pilates, p90x, insanity.

But if you can't match your running burns when cycling you weren't cycling far enough/fast enough!

But we all have a favourite exercise that we enjoy and are will push ourselves with so it's good you have found yours.

This.
    I'm lucky enough that I enjoy all forms of exercise! Well...almost all. (Every elliptical on earth can go die in a fire)
  • 2015Jason
    2015Jason Posts: 34 Member
    +1. I hate running. A lot of people hate it, but do it anyway. If you like it, consider yourself lucky and go for it!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    sammyre12 wrote: »
    I have tried all types of exercises from Zumba, Pilates, p90x, insanity, biking etc. You name it and the quickest and almost only way I lose weight and drop inches is by running. I put just as much effort in all the exercises. Is this normal?

It sounds like you didn't appropriately adjust your calorie intake to match the calorie burn from the non-running exercise.

You aren't expending as many calories with the other exercises so you can't eat as many calories.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    + 1 on the running. I don't like feeling hungry and running allows me to snack & drink wine while losing. I think running is a very efficient way to burn calories. Yes I possibly do this by deficit alone but if running works and I enjoy it, why not. I also put on about twenty pounds when I slacked off my running so I am working back up to my 30 miles a week....and losing again.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    + 1 on the running. I don't like feeling hungry and running allows me to snack & drink wine while losing. I think running is a very efficient way to burn calories. Yes I possibly do this by deficit alone but if running works and I enjoy it, why not. I also put on about twenty pounds when I slacked off my running so I am working back up to my 30 miles a week....and losing again.

Nobody said not to run, keep doing it because it is great for cardio health. And since you enjoy it, even better.

The bolded part explains why running is not a weight loss technique. You have to understand portion control and calorie expenditure so when you aren't running you don't put on 20 lbs.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Loosing weight and dropping inches is not attributed to exercise, you will loose weight in a calorie deficit regardless of what exercise you choose.

^^^