Runners, when I run too much my hair falls out - why? And what do I do?

Options
2»

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I've lost hair in patches a few times. It had nothing to do with what I was eating, my weight or calorie intake.

Stress did it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind with hair and nails it takes a few weeks to show up. So think back to any changes you made a few weeks to a month ago.
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm getting thin spots on my scalp (see in photo how I have a hair band, the front is thin and I try to hide it...) About 8 months ago I became Vegetarian because I don't digest meat too well, but three weeks ago I abandoned it because I also had insomnia and health issues and thought maybe protien was an issue (added a few supplements, some meat occasionally, and now sleep okay and feel better.) Three months ago I started making a concious effort to have protein in every meal, but I don't log how much per day or anything. My day is usually like

Morning: boiled egg, coffee, banana or something
    Workout
    After: double protein shake, 1 helping of Biochem whey vanilla, 1 helping of natural whey protein Biochem
    Supplements: L-Glutamine, BCAA, Magnesium
    Lunch: 4oz thin strip steak on top of a big salad with avocado, either a yogurt dressing or balsamic vinegar dressing
    Dinner: I cook for the family, could be a crowd pleaser like tacos or potato soup or something
    Walk
    Snacks -- (sometimes I have a Coke, luna bar, egg, fruit or giant bowl of ice cream)

I do have to avoid FODMAPs - mostly - I sneak in some wheat and onions - I have IBS. I had my thryoid tested extensively about a year and a half ago but my doctor didn't find anything. I have a CBC pulled at least every six months because of decreased kidney function. I have a lot of difficulties with severe fatigue but it has gotten better this year with the exercise and weight loss. My weight loss has been very gradual. I think in the last six months I've lost five pounds or so.

I've used Henna on my hair for two years.

I do have some dermatitis spots on the back of my head, I think from sweat and not getting my hair washed out quickly enough after workouts. There are no dermatitis itchy spots on the front of my head though or on the sides. The hair loss predates the itchy dermatitis spots.

Can't afford to go in to a clinic right now...last time I quit exercising and stuff, gained back a ton of weight and the hair grew back, but I'm happier not so heavy and I like being active :)
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    If it's in spots, it's probably Alopecia Areata, an autoimmune disease (your immune system attacking your hair). I've had it since I was 8. With this, it can definitely come and go - I've been bald, had full head of hair, had just bald spots, all at various points of my life. 80% of patients with adult onset Areata regrow within a year or two and many never have a occurrence, but many do. It can be triggered by a lot of things... stress, diet, illness, etc. General thinning over the whole head is more likely to be Androgenic Alopecia - female pattern baldness, caused by hormones. This is rarer than male pattern baldness, but essentially the same thing.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    I have lost some hair, more this year than any other, but mine, I think is related too surgery (surgeries). I have had 5 surgeries in 6 years and the anesthesia is taking its toll.

I do not wear the rubber bands. Beautician says that is bad. I use the scrunchies with the fabric over the elastic. I have had thin/fine hair since the day I was born and it does break easily.
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Honestly wouldn't be able to find a scrunchy to fit at this point unless they make them for wee children, but I'll take the advice and try to find something other than a rubber band, thanks!

@MarziPanda95 that makes a lot of sense because of the stress of working out a lot, working on eating better etc. :) Thanks for the info!!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    This is a dermatology question.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    (Formerly) not eating meat + not focusing on protein + hair loss + fatigue = sounds like low iron to me. Do you have heavy periods as well?

I'm anemic and have to supplement aggressively to get my iron levels up to low normal but I really think you should get tested.

BTW, hair loss usually starts a few months after the event that precipitated it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'd run to a doctor.
  • heyyoutoo
    heyyoutoo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have hair loss that sounds similar. Google Telogen Effluvium, that's what my dermatologist diagnosed. He said to take Biotin and it has helped me. He also recommended men's Rogaine (I'm a woman, but the men's product is stronger he said. I didn't take this advice).

Interesting method of diagnosing: he yanked about a one inch square piece if my hair, and if more than ten or so hairs came out, and if they had the little bulb at the root end, it was TE. (He also ordered a large number of blood tests to rule out other causes.)

When you research TE you will see a number of possible causes and suggested supplements than can help. Dermo also said, of all the Effluviums, this is the one you want because it can be reversed. Mine filled back in quite well, I hope you can reverse your hair loss too. Good luck to you. Seeing a Dermo would be a good thing to do.