What are your thoughts on this?

http://seannal.com/articles/nutrition/best-macros-for-cutting.php

Agree or disagree and why?

TYIA

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Blimey they don't use one word where ten will do..... Verbose or what? :)

Pretty reasonable recommendations.

Protein maybe on high side but not unreasonably so. But better for very overweight people to calculate from their goal weight not current weight though.

I don't like fat (or any other macro) as a percentage though - I prefer to base on bodyweight x0.4g as a minimum. Yesterday my calorie goal was 2600 and today it was 4700 so makes no sense to aim for a percentage of such a high number.

Carbs I regard as falling wherever they fall (within your calorie goal) but that's just phrasing it differently.
  • TheresaLisaJulieJean
    TheresaLisaJulieJean Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Protein maybe on high side but not unreasonably so. But better for very overweight people to calculate from their goal weight not current weight though.

What would u consider to be a more reasonable watt calculate protein? I am having trouble hitting this mark.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Too much protein for a heavier person and is unnecessary unless that's how you like to eat. Other than that, sounds good. I'm personally not a fan of static macros though, I like to look at them more like a range.
  • TheresaLisaJulieJean
    Options
    Too much protein for a heavier person and is unnecessary unless that's how you like to eat. Other than that, sounds good. I'm personally not a fan of static macros though, I like to look at them more like a range.

Same question...

what would u consider sufficient protein intake?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Same question...

what would u consider sufficient protein intake?

Anywhere between 0.6 and 2 g per lb of goal weight if you are looking for specific numbers, but for the real world, I'd say as much as you are comfortable with. 1g per goal weight would be enough, but if you want (and can) go higher, if you can't make it go lower. Personally, adherence is more important than getting lost in details. As For fat, for me personally, my minimum daily fat on normal days is set to 40 grams regardless of my calories but can freely creep higher.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

What would u consider to be a more reasonable watt calculate protein? I am having trouble hitting this mark.

Calculating from Lean Body Mass is what I prefer - I find the commonly recommended 1g/1lb of LBM works well for me both in terms of results but also dietary choices and adherence. The downside of shooting for a very high number is that it can unbalance your diet - especially if you are smaller and have a limited calorie allowance.
    Estimating your LBM is fine, it's really not necessary to be ultra precise.

Apart from cutting there's other factors that should influence your choices:
    Someone doing endurance cardio needs a bit more than someone with a light exercise routine, someone doing challenging strength training needs more than someone who isn't.
  • TheresaLisaJulieJean
    Options
    Thanks for the response and sorry I haven't responded sooner...great to know I'm on the right track. I got Iso 100 and today is my first day using it as I struggle to get enough protein.

As far as the calorie goal I am not sure yet if it is too high...my weight has been +\- 2lbs since I started strength training and allowing myself to have more calories (based on the guidelines of this article and others like it) maybe my body just needs a little time to adjust.

So I'm doing 20-25g carb plus one shake (25g protien) as a pre work out snack and you then a balanced breakfast afterwards. Hopefully this will help...only time will tell.