Opinions on weight loss with NO excercise?

I am interested to know if anyone has done this successfully? I know its not advised and it is not something I am going to do, I am just wondering :)

Replies

• xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Thats brilliant well done! I walk quite a bit anyway with my 2 big dogs, iv always done that though. I hate the gym, i did start swimming a lot at one point but gave it up because its too much effort washing and drying my hair every time haha!
  • GaryH1989
    GaryH1989 Posts: 2 Member
    It's more what you eat then what you do that contributes to weight loss, I lost the first 60lbs with dieting alone. Sounds like you're already on track though :)
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    I'm walking at least 6-7km a day, but no other exercise at the moment as I've just been too stressed out to eat enough, so trying not to go under my calories, hence no exercise most days - been losing weight just fine. :)
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    All you need is a calorie deficit. You can get it purely from eating less.
  • xjessicaxrx
    Haha thanks people!
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    I've done it before, the first time I dieted. This time around I make a point in exercising.

Its certainly possible to loose without exercising, but I'm a smaller size now with exercise than I was at the same weight dieting without exercise.
  • xjessicaxrx
    What type of exercise?
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    I think for both the best chances of long term maintenance of your weight loss and optimal health, it is best to make activities that you enjoy a routine part of your lifestyle.

You can definitely lose weight without exercising.
  • gember85
    gember85 Posts: 114 Member
    Walking that much a day is good and counts as exercise anyway x
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    You know wrong that it is not advised :)
    There are many people who lose weight healthily without exercise and many who can't exercise even if they wanted and still lose in a healthy and sustainable way (I'm from the second group). Exercise is for health, muscle tone, shape etc. Weight loss is about eating less than you burn and by burn I don't mean only intentionally burn but metabolism etc.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    The first time I was on MFP, I lost 60lbs just counting calories. No exercise. It definitely works! Personally I feel more motivated when doing both.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I think when exercise is mentioned most people automatically think this has to be gym exercise or some kind of sport or using equipment or some sort of yoga or aerobic class. Exercise is "an activity requiring physical effort, carried out to sustain or improve health and fitness". So can be walking to shop instead of driving. Housework, shopping, using the stairs etc.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    I am interested to know if anyone has done this successfully? I know its not advised and it is not something I am going to do, I am just wondering :)

Yep, lost around 50lbs with no exercise at all. I'm now several years into maintenance and I still don't exercise regularly, besides some seasonal walking. I'm in excellent health with consistent great blood work markers.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    The first six months of my diet I did no exercise just stayed within my daily calorie goal and lost 42 pounds during that time period. I just started exercise about three weeks ago.
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    I lost most of my weight with diet only :smile:
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    I have lost 57 lbs with no exercise.