Opinions on weight loss with NO excercise?

Options

Replies

• Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think when exercise is mentioned most people automatically think this has to be gym exercise or some kind of sport or using equipment or some sort of yoga or aerobic class. Exercise is "an activity requiring physical effort, carried out to sustain or improve health and fitness". So can be walking to shop instead of driving. Housework, shopping, using the stairs etc.

When I think of exercise, I do think of the gym, lol. You're right, it doesn't have to be.
  • senennieves
    senennieves Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks just walking around the house and at work conducting my foot patrols as a security officer, i get 10 k steps easly plus my MFP plan., its not even hard.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I started without exercise and it was just fine. Most of my exercise frankly has been walking though! I just walked an hour a day. 'real' exercise only 3x a week but I don't think the calorie burn made a huge impact.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I lose weight consistantly without excersize. Sometimes I have been unable to walk, was bedridden and house bound because of a back injury and that took time to recover. I had physiotherapy excersizes which were designed to build muscle to offset the damage of the back injury. I still do those. I walk a bit and do housework, shopping meal preparation. I Try to take the stairs at least every other day. But weight loss for me has been about selective conscious eating and eating less. Other than the things mentioned I am a sedentary person, reading a lot, playing an instrument and sitting talking.

I know running would probably burn a lot of fat on anyone who does it, as its impossible for me, that is ok. I adjust to what IS and have been successful at weight loss anyway.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It is definitely possible to lose weight without exercise. But you miss out on the benefits that exercise brings, which are numerous. And exercise doesn't have to be crazy and high-impact to be beneficial. Just taking some brisk walks has serious benefits for your heart, muscles, bones, etc.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Losing weight without exercise was actually the majority of my weightloss: at first I found exercising increased my hunger 10-fold! Eventually I did work exercise in because 1: it increased my deficit and 2: I found out it made me feel good (emotionally and physically). So do what's right for you! ;)
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This all makes me feel a bit more at ease thank you, i havent got the time (or energy after a long day at work) to do much extra than what im already doing. But Since I gave up the swimming I have been losing still and not really any slower thinking about it. I used to swim 1 mile 3 times per week, you would think that would help wouldnt you!
  • GoMom2016
    GoMom2016 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Can be done :) I've lost 13lbs in 6 weeks through diet only (and chasing around two little kids ;)
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost a significant amount of weight, I lost 50 pounds with no exercise which took 6 months. I started exercising after that, just walking, and another 30 pounds came off pretty easily, in about 7 months.
  • dmc1987
    dmc1987 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have lost without exercising. When I exercise, I tend to feel that I can eat more. Exercise is important but in order to lose weight, it starts with what you eat.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Weight loss without exercise is perfectly fine. It is healthier than being overweight with no exercise. Exercise without losing weight (both cardio and strength exercise) is also better than overweight with no exercise.

If you want the best of everything, then lose weight, do cardio (even brisk walking counts), and do resistance training, but you aren't obligated to start everything at the same time. If all you can handle is the diet first, then do that first.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Want to lose weight without putting physical effort? that's just lazy -.-

No. There's all sorts of reasons why someone may not exercise. And exercise actually has very little to do with weight loss.
  • dailynetworks
    dailynetworks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So far my exercise has been walking. It has built up my stamina if nothing else. I have used it to "buy" a few calories when I pass my limit on intake calories, but I don't depend on it. You are not going to lose that many calories by exercise. And as you lose weight your exercise burns less calories because you are carrying less load. The walking gets my metabolism moving. Maybe you call that burning calories, but to me it is more about pumping blood and bringing in the oxygen. Walking also lifts your spirit and less down mood means less emotional eating. The most effective weight loss method for me is reading the labels and eating nutritious food that limits calorie intake.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    There have been some great answers here, and from them I just want to echo that for weight loss alone you simply need a caloric deficit, and that can be achieved without exercise. For fitness purposes, exercise is important, and for health you need a nutritious diet, which takes more than just calories into consideration.

If you find that you want to compete in some sort of bodybuilding or figure/physique event, it can get a bit more technical. Weight lifting and high intensity interval training are basically required to cut down to very low body fat percentages while retaining as much muscle as possible. For most, though, dietary changes are all that's truly needed for weight loss.
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options

How small minded... Some people cannot exercise and it has nothing to do with if they are lazy or not. If you have the ability to read you will see What I wrote previously- I am already pretty active.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

No. There's all sorts of reasons why someone may not exercise. And exercise actually has very little to do with weight loss.

Technically it doesn't but if you weigh a ton and out of shape and you lose the weight with no form of exercise then you just weigh less than a ton and still out of shape. It goes hand in hand most people lose weight to get fitter and healthier

To call people lazy because they're not doing this whole thing in a way that you think is the 'correct' way is really rude.

I have never had an interest in 'getting in shape', and that's never been a goal of mine. However, getting a high glucose number out of the prediabetes range was, and I accomplished that goal by losing 50lbs with a calorie reduction plan. Now 3 years into maintenance I have consistent good blood work panels (my glucose number has stabilized into the 80s), and I'm in great health by every health marker my doctor uses. Exercise hasn't been a factor in my improved health-eating less calories was.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    This all makes me feel a bit more at ease thank you, i havent got the time (or energy after a long day at work) to do much extra than what im already doing. But Since I gave up the swimming I have been losing still and not really any slower thinking about it. I used to swim 1 mile 3 times per week, you would think that would help wouldnt you!

If you're not losing weight slower now that you're not swimming three miles per week, something is wrong with your logging, either of calories in or calories out.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I lost my first thirty pounds when I was basically sedentary. I got big health gains from that weight loss too, including lower blood pressure, better glucose numbers, and lowered cholesterol.

What I got from exercise is about 200 calories wiggle room in my diet, greater stamina, strength, and mobility.

Weight loss got me in to a different dress size. Exercise (activities I enjoy) put the pink in my cheeks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

While this could have been worded more diplomatically, I agree that those who can move, should move, if for no other reason than to preserve muscle for old age and not need to go into a nursing home because one can no longer go to the bathroom unassisted.
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

If you're not losing weight slower now that you're not swimming three miles per week, something is wrong with your logging, either of calories in or calories out.

I think you misunderstood, i am still losing weight- average around 1-2lb per week, the same as I was when I was swimming. why is that a problem?