Please help, how many calories do I need?

Options
I have been eating between 1200 and 1400 calories a day. I am 5' 2" and weigh 159. I am 32 years old. This week I have been feeling very tired and even dizzy. I don't think I am eating enough calories a day. I haven't been working out besides being on my feet most of the day taking care of my kids and the house.

Replies

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I feel like most people around that height typically eat around 1300-1700. Maybe do an experiment where you eat 50-100 more calories than eating now and see if you still feel dizzy.

Could you be allergic to something? Pregnant? Have you changed your macros (been eating lower carbs, protein, fats)

Have you used the TDEE method to see what amount you should be eating around?
  • teresahowe31
    teresahowe31 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No I am not pregnant. I have a two month old and got my tubes tied. I have even been eating closer to 1400 calories a day.
  • JButlerEagle
    JButlerEagle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? more calories are required for that as well.
  • teresahowe31
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? more calories are required for that as well.

No I am not.
  • Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you feel tired and dizzy, you need to eat more. What did MFP put you at for calories? If they suggested 1200-1400 and it's not working for you, slowly increase up 50 or 100 calories each week until you get to a point where you don't feel crappy!
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you're on your feet most of the day then you should certainly not be eating at sedentary levels - you are the same height as me and 1200 is my BMR - IE the amount I would need if I was literally just lying in a coma. Even if I am just sitting around being sedentary, I need 1500! I just ran your stats through a few calculators and they've given me anywhere between 1700-1900 a day depending on whether you class yourself as lightly/moderately active. Also make sure you're having enough carbs to give you energy and keep the head fog at bay :)
  • teresahowe31
    Options
    If you're on your feet most of the day then you should certainly not be eating at sedentary levels - you are the same height as me and 1200 is my BMR - IE the amount I would need if I was literally just lying in a coma. Even if I am just sitting around being sedentary, I need 1500! I just ran your stats through a few calculators and they've given me anywhere between 1700-1900 a day depending on whether you class yourself as lightly/moderately active. Also make sure you're having enough carbs to give you energy and keep the head fog at bay :)

Thank you! I will increase my calories and see if it helps. I haven't been losing too much weight ao I thought y calories were right were they should be. I ha e been losing about 2 pounds a week.
  • teresahowe31
    Options
    I haven't been losing too much weight so I thought my calories were right where they should be.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    2 lbs a week for someone losing 20-40 lbs is kind of steep (just a guess of how much you are trying to lose). You could eat more and still lose at 1 lb/wk:)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Thank you! I will increase my calories and see if it helps. I haven't been losing too much weight ao I thought y calories were right were they should be. I ha e been losing about 2 pounds a week.

2 pounds a week is actually really fast for someone at your weight. This is probably why you aren't feeling so great.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and have abt 25 more to lose and I chose .5 lbs/wk so I can eat more because it didn't take long at 1200 for me to start getting stir crazy and wanting to eat more