Gaining it back; NYT article

Options
I'm a newspaper carrier and today while I was bagging my route I noticed an article on the front page of the New York Times about the contestants of The Biggest Loser. I was running late so I didn't have time to read the article in full but I did scan it. Apparently a good many of the contestants on that show regain all the weight they lost and put more on. The article went on to say something about how metabolism stays low after weight loss so the body fights to put the weight back on. Something to that effect.

Now I also read another article that a contestant from the show published that outlined the ridiculous methods the show makes the contestants go through to lose so much weight so fast. Then when they are off the show and stop living on a bowl of grass a day and 21 hours of exercise, they regain the weight.

I was going to post a link to the article from the New York Times here but I'm not going to buy an online subscription just for an article that I didn't agree with. When I skimmed it, the first thought that went into my head was, "Well, if this is true, if my body's going to fight to pack on the weight, it's a losing battle and I shouldn't bother." This is how my mind work. Yes, it needs a bullet badly.

Then while throwing the route I remembered the other article and thought, well, if you lose the weight in such a fast, unhealthy way, of course you're going to regain it. No one is taught lifestyle changes on The Biggest Loser. No one continues eating a bowl of grass and exercising 21 hours a day when they go back to their normal lives. So the article is horsepucky.

I'd like to hear what others think about this.

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    There is another thread here on this arical this morning!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The Biggest Losers is not the best reference, to be honest, as they pretty much starve themselves to lose the weight and just don't learn anything.

I think that yes, your metabolism might be 10% slower or something when you've been obese and lost weight. It's not the end of the world.

But yeah, in my experience, the body fights back. I don't care how many people say it's not true... I'm way hungrier than I was when losing, and I'm eating the same diet, just with more calories. It's hard.

Biggest loser may not be the best reference, but this is pretty true across the board no matter how the weight is lost. Over 80% of the people that lose weight gain it all back within 5 years. A lot of people gain even more weight back. The statistics are out there. Very few people keep the weight off for over 5 years. Franci27 is right. I have been on maintenance for over 2 years and it is way harder keeping it off than it was losing it for me.
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I know from my own experience and losing the same 60 pounds over and over again that this is true. I do not know how to stop the cycle .. If I am not actively losing weight, I am gaining it. I have always been a little bit heavier than my friends and family, it is just how my body is. I build muscle fast. I am really focusing "this time" on my eating habits. Trying just to make better choices and realize that it is what it is. I am 43 and I can't eat like my 16 year old son. Does it suck .. yep. But, this is a better fight than some of the others out there.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Take a look at a book titled: "Thin for Life: 10 Keys to Success from People Who Have Lost Weight and Kept it Off." which looks at statistics from the National Weight Control Registry. It's a more realistic look on how accomplish your weight loss goal.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I would say that this study represents a really good baseline. As soon as I read it, I wandered what would happen if they used this group as the control and followed a matched group who lost weight much more slowly. How would their BMR and leptin (and other hormones) change?

This would be interesting to see, I wonder is there a study on this method? I always maintained that slow and steady is best....
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    P.S. Started reading the comment (articles on weight loss always get a lot of comments) and wondering how long it would take to find an MFP recommendation. Second comment I read is from someone who lost weight slowly and steadily on this site.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »
    P.S. Started reading the comment (articles on weight loss always get a lot of comments) and wondering how long it would take to find an MFP recommendation. Second comment I read is from someone who lost weight slowly and steadily on this site.

I also lost all my weight (51-52 lbs) slowly and steadily right here on MFP. Counting calories is what works over the long haul. It took me over a year to reach maintenance and at a healthy weight range for a year + now. MFP works.