Is it ok to eat those 2 oreos you've been craving if you jump on the elliptical and burn the 140 cal

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    ZLARZ wrote: »
    Just curious how many others do this??? I've already reached my calorie limit for the day but I've been drooling for some oreos all week... can eat em then burn em off?

slcfitcollective.com/slc-fit-blog/how-does-blood-sugar-affect-weight-loss

@ZLARZ Note how one stops the ability to burn fat and instead can only store fat when eating in a way that increases blood glucose over 100.

Please becareful offering such advice to people who seem to be experiencing symptoms of disordered thinking. It can be dangerous.

You are fully aware I gave no advice in that post. To give or accept dieting advice by the way of social media would be risky behavior at best. The writer of the article points out fat loss in the presents of elevated levels of the hormone Insulin is not going to work out well. That is not advice but a biological fact.

That's an interesting technicality you are falling back on that you "gave no advice" but posting inaccurate information that seems to reinforce some of the disordered thinking that the OP is exhibiting is still irresponsible.

Again, the writer of the article says that it is impossible to lose weight if insulin is present in the body.Such a grossly inaccurate statement should make any reader skeptical about the validity of other content.

I could write the most profound, well researched article about any subject in the world but if I make such a blatantly false error in it, I would expect to have no credibility.

100% this.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Wow. You're going to be this weird about food for the rest of your life? Why not simplify it, eat things you enjoy when you want them, and know that you can live like that forever? I don't see this ending well.
  • ZLARZ
    ZLARZ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Wow. You're going to be this weird about food for the rest of your life? Why not simplify it, eat things you enjoy when you want them, and know that you can live like that forever? I don't see this ending well.

Thanks for your help
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Sure why not. It beats just having the oreos and thinking it has zero consequences. I did that for a long time but, i wouldn't stop at two. Now i realize that i'm a grown up if i want more i need to earn it. Kinda like money but, i'm learning that lesson slower
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're going to let yourself play with more calories. I think you'll be pleased with the results. 3 lbs a week, just isn't sustainable, especially when you're so close to goal. For whatever it's worth, I set myself a 1 lb/week goal when i came here nearly a year ago with about 20 lbs to lose. When I got within 10, I reset it to 1/2 lb/week. I was permuch at my goal in mid-October, and decided I'd make my goal 140-145 pounds. So at 140 (beginning of November) I put myself on maintenance. It's worked out well - I haven't had to set a weight loss goal since. I'm 5-6, by the way, and turned 64 last week. Maintenance for me is 1510 calories.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Just curious how many others do this??? I've already reached my calorie limit for the day but I've been drooling for some oreos all week... can eat em then burn em off?

I would say you can if you really want but eating what you burn is a really bad habit to get into. Burning is meant to help weightloss not enable you to eat for than you should. Maybe as a 1 off yes but not as a regular thing. E.g. my friends birthday last week was cocktails i made sure to have a huge gym session that day and select the lowest calories cocktails i could but i would never do that regularly.
    I would say a better plan is to carefully think about what you want to eat that day either plan at breakfast or the night before and aim to budget in an extra 100 calories to give yourself a little treat in the evening by reducing other consumption in the day.

What if some of us do not enjoy "lowest calorie cocktails" and do not want to miss any events (friend's birthday, friend's kid's baptism, sister's engagement, on and on?
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    maybe so. most of us don't have all day to read everything-hence my quick reply.

I also suggest finding some kind of chocolate protein bar instead of oreas-they have more nutrients that the body can use for fuel..that would be my second option...switcheroo=play choices=chose a cookie or choose something better.

You may be too busy to read all the responses but on a site such as this where there are people who have disordered thoughts about food, that can be potentially dangerous as your advice may reinforce their "I want to eat bad food so I must punish myself with exercise" mentality. At a minimum, there are often key details that an OP didn't think to put in their original post that come out later, things like their stats and goals, medical conditions, etc.

From this thread I learned a new term "disordered thinking". So, if the OP used his words wisely and said he wanted everything...the oreos and wt loss also through exercise, he'd be OK?

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Sorry, but I have to agree with this. It's two cookies. 140 calories. That's making no difference to anything (unless it's regularly....). I think it's a bit extreme to think you have to start doing cardio to burn that off. It would be very stressful in the long run having that strict of a mindset.

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating those two Oreos. Last month I went on vacation for 4 days.
    I ate whatever I wanted I drink whatever I wanted. I didn't deny myself anything. One month later I'm down 8 pounds from where I was before I went on vacation.

As long as you don't do it everyday there's nothing wrong with treating yourself. We all are on a long journey and definitely don't want to go back to where we came from. It's like the old car commercial enjoy the journey because if you make the journey miserable you're going to want to get want to get out.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options

Yep ... I've done that. It works. :)

• Machka9
    Options
    Well, whenever I craved sweets I'd have a little but then burn it off. But then I recently saw some thing where a woman said it's not the same and that's no way to lose weight. I just assumed calorie intake/calorie deficit it's all the same when it comes to weight loss. I know junk food isn't good for you though before anyone states that lol

Again, I think it's better to build a lifestyle that allows for treats rather than having to work them off as though you've done something bad....

But working out is fun. :)

Have the delicious food ... then go have some fun working it off. :grin:
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    The more I eat sweets, the more often I want them. I've found it more productive to stay away from my own particular temptations so that the cravings will go away and I won't be miserable thinking about them all the time
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    @ZLARZ

Do what works for you. If that means maintaining discipline to the point of keeping daily goals really close and that keeps you on track, no reason not to do it. I personally look at goals more on the weekly level, but that's just me.

I tend to look at it in the inverse... go bike or work out hard and then no I can eat what I want for the day because I have 3000 or so calories in hand for the day. But no harm in doing it the other way around if it works for you and keeps you motivated and accountable.

If you really want to figure out your calorie burn you can simply reverse the math. Calculate your loss rate, the food you eat, and you'll end up with your TDEE.

As for the loss rate, I think it's healthier to stay to the 1% rule once you are down to reasonable weights, losing no more than 1% of your body weight per week. By looking at it that way, you change your deficit as you lose, and lose slower as you lighten up.
  • katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Will those two turn into three and so on until the packet is gone? That's the problem with some of us with weight to lose we don't know when to stop!
  • Machka9
    Options
    katie22mfp wrote: »
    Will those two turn into three and so on until the packet is gone? That's the problem with some of us with weight to lose we don't know when to stop!

I can't speak for the OP, but for some of us, we can have one or two cookies (whatever fits in our calorie limit) and that's it. Personally I'm more of a hoarder when it comes to food ... I prefer to know that there are still lots left in the cupboard for tomorrow and the next day and the next day ...
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Well, whenever I craved sweets I'd have a little but then burn it off. But then I recently saw some thing where a woman said it's not the same and that's no way to lose weight. I just assumed calorie intake/calorie deficit it's all the same when it comes to weight loss. I know junk food isn't good for you though before anyone states that lol

Again, I think it's better to build a lifestyle that allows for treats rather than having to work them off as though you've done something bad....

^ this
  • cschafer2016
    cschafer2016 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want and exercise. That's what I do and I've been losing pretty steadily. You're an adult, not a dog, so forget about "treats" and eat what you want.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I kinda do the opposite.. I prelog my day every morning including treats, so I know how much exercise i need to do to stay in the green.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @endlessfall16 - no reason to miss any events. But going to celebrations &c doesn't mean you have to eat and drink everything. If you don't like lowest-calorie cocktails and the higher-calorie ones won't fit in your calorie budget, drink water or fizzy water and eat more food. :) Alcohol isn't necessary for a good time.