Olive oil/coconut oil replacement?

Options
jenerek_md
jenerek_md Posts: 41 Member
So in keeping my cals down, I am looking for an alternative to oil. I've been eating a lot of stir fry but use oil every time. Does anyone have a good alternative??

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I used to use chicken stock instead of oil. Now I just use canola oil pan spray if I don't want to use oil or butter
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I've just drastically decreased the amount of oil I use when cooking. That would be worth a try also.

~Lyssa
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Just reduce the amount and steam your veggies instead. If you are used to a quarter cup, try a tablespoon. If you habitually use a tablespoon try a teaspoon instead.

There's a gadget called an Actifry that cooks with very little oil.

I suggest you not cut oil completely. It helps with a fair number of bodily functions.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You might like this gadget. Use it often so the oil doesn't age.

http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-Aluminum-Olive-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    I've just drastically decreased the amount of oil I use when cooking. That would be worth a try also.

~Lyssa

Yep, I cut it by half if not more.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, less oil.
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Once I read somewhere that apple juice (100% apple, non sweetened) is a good replacement for oil in baking. But I'm not sure if this works with cooking in general.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    RachNRoll wrote: »
    Once I read somewhere that apple juice (100% apple, non sweetened) is a good replacement for oil in baking. But I'm not sure if this works with cooking in general.

applesauce or any fruit puree (bananas, pumpkin). Not sure if apple juice would work or not. Plain yogurt works for brownie mixes.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/healthy-substitutes-for-oil.html
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Don't need oil if up using non stick or a proper seasoned cast iron or carbon steel wok.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'd use less if I was concerned with that, like mentioned above you can also use chicken stock or water even, or non at all if you are using non stick.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I have this exact same one and I love it. Also, good note about using often to prevent the oil from going bad. I don't cook much anymore so I just fill it a third of the way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just use less oil.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Pan spray, then add veggies w water in them; tomatoes, onions etc. if it gets dry add water or vinegar or low sodium soy sauce
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I have this exact same one and I love it. Also, good note about using often to prevent the oil from going bad. I don't cook much anymore so I just fill it a third of the way.

I have that one too and I think it sucks. It doesn't "mist" it shoots it out in a stream. I stopped using it because of that.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

I have that one too and I think it sucks. It doesn't "mist" it shoots it out in a stream. I stopped using it because of that.

mine does the same thing I stopped using it to, now I just measure with a tablespoon
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Bacon fat
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Bacon fat

If you like bacon fat, and who doesn't? Try Duck fat oh yum.
  • jenerek_md
    jenerek_md Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Pan spray, then add veggies w water in them; tomatoes, onions etc. if it gets dry add water or vinegar or low sodium soy sauce
    How do you accurately report spray?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options

The tiny nozzle can get clogged easily. Sometimes I take out the nozzle, put the tube in a small cup of water and pump until it flushes out. Kind of a pain, but it's only happened once or twice.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    jenerek_md wrote: »
    So in keeping my cals down, I am looking for an alternative to oil. I've been eating a lot of stir fry but use oil every time. Does anyone have a good alternative??

I just use the fry light spray it works just as well for frying, doesnt taste of as much as oil but at 1 calorie per spray it's fab.