Getting bumbed about so many carbs!!

Options
Hi everyone!! I have been on a (trying) low carb diet! Now I am getting pretty depressed here!! Everything I go to eat is loaded full of carbs :( I am eating healthy as in high protein meats (boneless skinless chicken Brest, eye of round steak, porkloin ect) I also am including my good carbs (broccoli, kale ect) I eat good fats (cheese ect) but I feel that just eating those are getting boring for me! I don't want to just eat veggies and meat every day! I want to be able to have some whole wheat pasta, wild rice, whole wheat rice, wraps! But when I look on the back it is always loaded with so many carbs!! I should mention that I do cardio 5 days a week and strength training (crunches, push-ups ect) does anyone have any advice here?? What I can and can not eat???

Replies

• MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why your carb contious?
    Why not instead of counting macros you count calories?
    That way you can eat everything you want.
  • taniastecroix
    taniastecroix Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree, I don't really want to eat them every day! But it is nice to have them once and a while and it seems like this low carb diet is pretty restricting! I want to loose weight but I'm scared that I will not loose it by consuming those kinds of carbs!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,007 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason for limiting carbs? If not then just eat what you like. I don't restrict any food, just calories. I eat the same things that I have always had, just not as much as I used to eat and I have lost 43 pounds pretty easily. If you just count calories then you don't really have to worry about what you can and cannot eat.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I agree, I don't really want to eat them every day! But it is nice to have them once and a while and it seems like this low carb diet is pretty restricting! I want to loose weight but I'm scared that I will not loose it by consuming those kinds of carbs!

You will lose weight if you're in a calorie deficit. Some people find it easier to maintain a calorie deficit when they lower the carbohydrates in their diet because they feel less hungry. But other people (such as myself) don't limit carbohydrates and lose weight just fine. Not everyone wants a diet that restricts certain macronutrients -- it isn't necessary for weight loss.

If you don't want to limit carbohydrates, then don't. Just pay attention to your calories. If you're in a deficit, you will lose weight.

This is spot on!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I just reduced products made from flour as they make me sleepy. I don't have a problem with rice, potatoes, legumes, veggies, fruit, so other than counting their calories, I don't worry about them.

I do make sure I get plenty of protein, fat, and fiber, as this fills me up better than carbs.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    You don't have to low carb to lose weight. You just need to stay within calorie range. My carbs are usually in the 50%+ range. I also eat everything you said you wanted plus alcohol. I do monitor macros or not I probably would be at maybe 85-90% carbs. Do something that works for you now and for a very long time.
  • taniastecroix
    taniastecroix Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I was so worried that it was the carbs that was the problem to weight gain! I don't mind eating healthy but let's face it! Everyone loves a plate of sphagetti every now and then and I just dident know if it would ruin all my hard work in cardio and strength training! I'm still pretty new at this and am very apriciated in the feed back from everyone! It defiantly is a learning experience and I want to do it the right way :) I'm not on any medical special diet, just want to loose weight , from what I'm understanding is just worry about my calorie allowance and I should be good from there??
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating carbs and they don't stop you losing weight. I eat around 160-190 carbs a day and have lost 7lb in 3 weeks. Just choose "good" carbs like sweet potato, wholewheat pasta & rice, lentils, cous cous. It's sugar I try to keep low rather than carbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I personally would not consider a meal of some pasta (whole wheat if you prefer) with a sauce made of lots of vegetables and some lean meat less healthy than meat and cheese. (Don't get me wrong, cheese and meat are delicious and definitely part of my diet. I might well add a moderate amount of cheese to the pasta, as I do to my morning omelet).

Pretty good site for nutrition advice: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/

In any case, as others have said, you can lose weight (and eat very healthfully) without doing low carb and without cutting out all carbs but non starchy veg. I also did.
  • brcoffin
    brcoffin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you have to find a "diet" that works for you long term. Making huge changes in the way you eat suddenly can be difficult. Just don't give up, keep trying track what you eat.
  • marty_smith
    marty_smith Posts: 102 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I used to believe the same as you in regards to eating no carbs for diets. I would always fail in the end aswell. Since mid February i have lost over 2 stone (28 pounds) and thats eating at a calorie deficit. I find cous cous with sauteed red onion and chopped up grilled peppers out of a jar a really good low calorie but filling dinner. I have a takeaway pretty much every Saturday night aswell usually consisting of a big fat dominoes!

The key is accurately weighing all your food, whether it be one digestive buiscit or 100g of pasta, 175ml of tomato sauce, 50g of sauteed red onions and so on. Its boring but it works and you can eat whatever you want so long as you plan your meals so you don't go over your calories. Not leave enough calories for dinner? Have canned soup.. Usually no more then 200 calories for a whole can and its usually enough for me to forget about food until breakfast.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating carbs and they don't stop you losing weight. I eat around 160-190 carbs a day and have lost 7lb in 3 weeks. Just choose "good" carbs like sweet potato, wholewheat pasta & rice, lentils, cous cous. It's sugar I try to keep low rather than carbs.

Some people find this helps them feel fuller, but it's possible to lose weight even when including "bad" carbohydrates in the diet. While I was losing weight, I ate white potatoes, pasta, rice, and bread. As long as I was in a deficit, I lost weight.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Tootsie Pops are good carbs, right?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

carbs don't really have anything to do with weight loss or not...carbs don't make you fat...consuming energy (calories) in excess of what you need is what makes you fat. A low carb diet is simply a modality for creating an energy deficit...there's nothing magical about it.

To boot, there are a wide variety of carbohydrates that are very good for you. Whole grain oats are really good for you...beans and lentils are really good for you...potatoes are a nutritional powerhouse...and the list goes on.

• LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I personally eat a lower carb diet than most because I like the changes I see in my body composition when I eat high protein/lower carb, but even then I'm doing a 33% split across macros. I carb cycle as a way of getting a few days in where I can have a big bowl of spaghetti or a baked potato. However, if you're doing low carb and absolutely hating it, I wouldn't keep going. Calories In/Calories Out is the most important thing and feeling like you're "missing out" is sometimes (at least for me) what causes those terrible binge days where I can undo an entire week's worth of work. Maybe focus on some of the "good" carbs that you like to eat- brown rice, wild rice, sweet potatoes, corn, peas, soybeans/edamame, whole wheat pasta, quinoa, and substituting those for some of the less nutrient dense members of the carbohydrate family. That way you can have your [Pasta] and eat it too!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Many lose weight here and eat lots of carbs. Heck, sometimes I'm at 70% carb.

Excess calories cause weight gain, not carbs.