Why Eating Healthy Isn't Expensive/Grocery Haul

Options

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Do you folks know and keep a budget on groceries? It's a sensitive topic in my family so I gave up even talking about it. I don't know how to respond to sayings like ... "well, we're not throwing away money. It's for the foods we eat. We're not wasting". Get this over that? "It's not the same".

Is it also "false economy" to save on foods, only to overeat then exercise hard to "waste" the calories? Someone pointed that out to me.

Dave Ramsey followers here with a plan to be totally debt free, including mortgage, in around 7 years :) The first thing I'm doing when that's all taken care of is raising that darn grocery budget lol!

DR follower too! Currently paying off the mortgage! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    This. Entire. Thread.

ghycwvd3pt29.jpg

It's blue, damn it . . .

Agreed. But trying my damndest I cannot convince my sister in law it's not white and gold. Anymore than I could convince someone of wealth and geographic luck that eating healthy is sometimes more expensive than not dollar for dollar, or that anyone could convince me that $45 a week is enough to feed healthy food to 2 adults in a grocery desert.

Seriously cannot even describe the depths to which a conversation about something so inherently personal and individual with so many variables it's not funny is a waste of time.

Yeah. Price per calorie, the fast food dollar menu or mac'n cheese is still probably the best value for your buck, pretty much everywhere you go. The only exceptions are probably oatmeal and beans, but I don't really know anyone who would want to eat oatmeal and beans every day... and the main thing really is that most people don't want to go through soaking and cooking beans when you can go to McDonald's and get fries and a burger for $2.

But in my case? My grocery bill decreased by over 50% when I started MFP.

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Assuming that OP has oil and butter and other staples like that already. And there's pork in there too (and protein bars, which often have nuts in them).

I mean, it's not that different from my diet. I get most of my fat from dairy and meat, which isn't exactly 'healthy' I guess. Bit of nuts and oil and avocado too but it's definitely not my staples. Avocados are expensive.. but I'd definitely have some cheese or yogurt in my grocery list.

But butter, nuts, and olive oil are pricey items, and if we're being honest about the cost tally for healthy food, they should be included! Last time I bought olive oil, it was $15.

I'm just saying I don't think there is enough 'on the table' to fulfill my caloric/nutritional needs for a few weeks.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    We all differ on what is considered healthy & fresh. From the OP's pics of frozen & packaged food with tons of GMO laden ingredients & preservatives... not to mention that anything frozen depletes vitamins & minerals by at least 40%... I don't eat anything but fresh & that isn't cheap anywhere.

Despite cost, I still do fresh & almost all organic, but... I live alone & pay 2-4 times what a family of 4 lives on, based on what others have revealed about their food bills. If we want to eat healthy (organic & fresh, in my book), it's a huge % of our monthly expenses, unless you make far more $ than I do.

Agree-what you consider healthy I don't consider necessary, or optimal (my family is healthy eating the types of foods we eat, which includes frozen stuff, GMO stuff etc), but to each their own ;)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    This. Entire. Thread.

ghycwvd3pt29.jpg

It's blue, damn it . . .

Agreed. But trying my damndest I cannot convince my sister in law it's not white and gold. Anymore than I could convince someone of wealth and geographic luck that eating healthy is sometimes more expensive than not dollar for dollar, or that anyone could convince me that $45 a week is enough to feed healthy food to 2 adults in a grocery desert.

Seriously cannot even describe the depths to which a conversation about something so inherently personal and individual with so many variables it's not funny is a waste of time.

This is one of the least time wasting threads on MFP. OP was giving comparisons and it has resulted in a discussion about saving money. Sort of like comparing dry cleaners in different cities for a stain on a blue dress. Wait. Different blue dress. Never mind. What were we taking about again?

Oh yea, waste of time threads on MFP. Would you sleep with the above poster? Kiss, bang, marry, or twaddle? Do clouds really always have a silver lining?

The argument about the money is the waste. The information OP posted was very cool.

1i61szcejlat.jpg

As if time spent in the forums for anyone who has already gotten themselves fit is a super productive activity? I'm here because it's slow in the office and I've already read 6 news sites and T-Nation, surfed for any used equipment I can't live without, pondered my kid's birthday party, and overthought my training calendar for the next month. Next up, coffee and an early exit to watch my kid practice.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    While I don't disagree with your overall premise, you have to take into account where people are. Some of your prices are what I could only dream of.
    Skinless, boneless chicken on sale is at least $4 a lb. Sometimes you are looking at $15 for 3 breasts.
    Tuna, on sale, is almost twice as much.
    99 cents for a dozen for eggs!
    Not to mention the berries, bananas, asparagus, even the cucumbers (99 cents for one is a sale).

Damn.

I was thinking the same thing! It's $5.99 for strawberries here...
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    While I don't disagree with your overall premise, you have to take into account where people are. Some of your prices are what I could only dream of.
    Skinless, boneless chicken on sale is at least $4 a lb. Sometimes you are looking at $15 for 3 breasts.
    Not to mention the berries, bananas, asparagus, even the cucumbers (99 cents for one is a sale).

Damn.

Yep, I was going to say I pay $5-$10 per bag of frozen veggies, depending on the size. I also pay $26 for 4 kg of frozen chicken when it's on sale. Fresh chicken is double. So that's $2.95/lb at the best I can find. Cheapest tuna is $0.97/can. $3 for the cheapest dozen of eggs. Fruit is crazy right now. I paid $6.68 for strawberries (large container) two days ago.

Now that being said, the junk food is more expensive too... lol.
  • sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    navaris wrote: »
    Food costs are highly variable depending on where you live. In the Canadian north, for example, the cost of fresh foods is incredibly high. In the very far North, a bag of grapes can go for as much as $30. In my own town, a head of lettuce is $3 in season and eggs are $5. I bought a pack of chicken breasts today for $12 (2 lbs) and that's a good deal. Milk is $5 a gallon.

Foods high in sugar or salt tend to last longer on the shelves, which mean they can be sold for much cheaper and can last longer for people that might only have a chance to shop once or twice a month. Fresh foods are often imported, especially when they're out of season, and that costs more money than producing processed foods domestically.

If I only bought foods that were in season and local, I'd starve in the winter time.

Eating whole foods is always preferable and always healthier, but there's a reason that obesity is linked to poverty and that's because unhealthy foods are cheaper and more accessible to people that are struggling financially.

Even in the far north I don't think eating healthy is more expensive than eating junk food, yes you don't get fresh veggies. Generally there is lots of local sources of meat (wild game). I live somewhere that has a road but chose not to spend $15 on grapes - but I get frozen fruits & veggies and some 'fresh'. But I've been in fly-in communities. Cans of Coke cost can cost $8 (for one 355ml can) but people still buy it!

Everything is more expensive, it's just how you spend your money. The nutritionists came into the local school calculated that kids could buy a banana (roughly $2 for 1 banana) for cheaper than a chocolate bar ($2.60). But really, if you are a kid with money, what are you going to buy?
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited May 2016
    Options

Damn.

I was thinking the same thing! It's $5.99 for strawberries here...

I don't buy certain things because they're cost prohibitive, but I find other options that are reasonably priced and go with those. Or wait for the expensive items to go on sale and then stock up (lots of veggies and fruits can be flash froze for example). I'd never pay over $2 for strawberries, so I get them frozen at the dollar store or from the Upick farm . The other times we just don't eat strawberries and do something else :)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    This is a helpful thread and has gotten me thinking about certain things.

I live in a pricey coastal city, so no my prices don't match the OP's. But also my fast food is probably slightly more expensive as well. It is definitely cheaper to cook at home than eat out. I spend a staggering amount on fast food. I could care less about how "unhealthy" it is, but the pricey part of it has recently made me debate cutting back.

Problem is when we DO cook at home it's not substantially cheaper because it ends up being these onesy-twosy meals that are still pricey. I also have a picky spouse. He doesn't really enjoy how much fast food we eat, but at least if McDonald's hamburger is crappy it isn't a comment on my cooking. Yes I know he could cook too, but that's how we end up eating out, when both of us are too tired to make whatever we'd planned, or most times too tired to even try to plan.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't see how anybody can proclaim that eating out cost less than preparing food at home. It seems like every fast food place gets about $8 for a meal and a drink these days. My packed lunch has to be less than that. There is nothing wrong with frozen veggies and some say they retain more of the nutrients because they are frozen so fast after picking. I personally like the fresh better. Here are some cheap things that work for me. Get a costco or sam's club rotisserie chicken $4 and use for dinner that day and than pick it apart for sandwiches and salads. Oatmeal at costco $6 will last me about two months. I do end up putting about $15 of fruit and nuts on it a week. Dinner I do some roasted veggies and a frozen piece of lean meat or fish. Costco helps and I alternate between costco, the produce stand and the farmers market for the produce.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I don't see how anybody can proclaim that eating out cost less than preparing food at home. It seems like every fast food place gets about $8 for a meal and a drink these days. My packed lunch has to be less than that. There is nothing wrong with frozen veggies and some say they retain more of the nutrients because they are frozen so fast after picking. I personally like the fresh better. Here are some cheap things that work for me. Get a costco or sam's club rotisserie chicken $4 and use for dinner that day and than pick it apart for sandwiches and salads. Oatmeal at costco $6 will last me about two months. I do end up putting about $15 of fruit and nuts on it a week. Dinner I do some roasted veggies and a frozen piece of lean meat or fish. Costco helps and I alternate between costco, the produce stand and the farmers market for the produce.

I hear you. But you can get a burger and fries for $2 at Mc Donald's. Not enough food for me, but heck. And ramen is what, $1 for 2 now? And a box of mac'n cheese is maybe $1.

Mostly though... all that stuff is easy to make. It's probably not a popular opinion but I think that most of the 'eating healthy is too expensive' crowd are people who don't take the time or are too lazy to cook. Which I don't really get either as I can get a pretty good, filling meal, for less than $2 with 1/4 of a rotisserie chicken and a bag of frozen veggies too. And it doesn't exactly take a long time to make either.

So yeah. *shrug*
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    This food looks great and very healthy, but I'd be curious to know how many calories per day (roughly, on average) this works out for you. You've bought a HUGE variety of low-calorie vegetables and fruits, eggs, and about 8 lbs of fresh meat and a little bit of canned fish. But I don't really see ANY fat sources (beyond the ice cream). I personally don't think this grocery load would be sufficient for me to get enough calories and provide the necessary healthy fat in my diet.

I eat around 2000 calories a day.

Before this shopping trip I had three bags of unopened frozen fish in the freezer, all from Aldi. I don't remember their individual prices but much, much less than Kroger. One bag each of salmon, swai and flounder.

My fat comes mainly from oil. As someone else mentioned, I already had it. I use canola oil ($2.49ish, Kroger), coconut oil (~$6, Target), butter ($2.99/lb, Trader Joe's) and olive oil ($5.99, Trader Joe's). I eat a lot of fat, I just didn't need to buy any on this particular trip. I don't eat/drink much dairy as it bothers my asthma. I do love cheese very much but rarely eat it.

When Kroger has tuna steaks on sale I buy tons and make my own shredded tuna. It's much tastier and cheaper than cans.
  • unawind
    unawind Posts: 46 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The one thing I will admit can be a barrier to entry isn't the food but the cooking oils, seasonings (including pricier items like vinegars, sauces, SPICES jeez louise the price of spices and herbs) and cookware (if you're really just starting out). But those amortize quickly and start paying for themselves. Case in point: I used to spend about $5 a day on coffee or tea. I then bought my own electric kettle (~$20, keep it at my desk at work), a box of tea (Tetley's) once per month and a pint of milk once per week. I made up the difference and more within a month.
  • unawind
    unawind Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    navaris wrote: »
    Food costs are highly variable depending on where you live. In the Canadian north, for example, the cost of fresh foods is incredibly high. In the very far North, a bag of grapes can go for as much as $30. In my own town, a head of lettuce is $3 in season and eggs are $5. I bought a pack of chicken breasts today for $12 (2 lbs) and that's a good deal. Milk is $5 a gallon.

Foods high in sugar or salt tend to last longer on the shelves, which mean they can be sold for much cheaper and can last longer for people that might only have a chance to shop once or twice a month. Fresh foods are often imported, especially when they're out of season, and that costs more money than producing processed foods domestically.

If I only bought foods that were in season and local, I'd starve in the winter time.

Eating whole foods is always preferable and always healthier, but there's a reason that obesity is linked to poverty and that's because unhealthy foods are cheaper and more accessible to people that are struggling financially.

+10000.

When I worked in Alaska and traveled to the North Slope, I understood immediately why chronic disease is a problem among the Alaska Native population. A case of water costs $24, fruits and veg? Ridiculously expensive and rotten. Gallon of milk? $10 each. Sodas were cheap, of course, as well processed foods. It was a well-known fact that anyone traveling up there should bring a cooler of fresh fruit and vegetables up for our colleagues, because otherwise they'd never get it. You know how, in Game of Thrones, Sansa LOVES lemon cakes? Because in Winterfell, they don't get citrus fruits. It's like that IRL.
  • ReaderGirl3
    Options
    unawind wrote: »
    The one thing I will admit can be a barrier to entry isn't the food but the cooking oils, seasonings (including pricier items like vinegars, sauces, SPICES jeez louise the price of spices and herbs) and cookware (if you're really just starting out). But those amortize quickly and start paying for themselves. Case in point: I used to spend about $5 a day on coffee or tea. I then bought my own electric kettle (~$20, keep it at my desk at work), a box of tea (Tetley's) once per month and a pint of milk once per week. I made up the difference and more within a month.

I get spices for $1 at Dollar General, Dollar Tree and Aldi.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    This. Entire. Thread.

ghycwvd3pt29.jpg

It's blue, damn it . . .

It's white!