Help me love black iced coffee

Options
Going to coffee shops is something my friends and I do all the time but those drinks are super high in calories. I want to try something with black iced coffee but I know unless I add something to it, I'll hate it. Does anyone know what types of syrups or something I could get added in my drink at Starbucks so I don't hate it?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I like iced coffee with Sweet n Low.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't know about at Starbucks, but the Torani line of sugar-free syrups (zero calorie) are really good. World Market carries them. Many flavors are available. Right now I am loving Salted Caramel.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Check out the "Under 200" section of their menu: starbucks.com/menu/nutrition/20-under-200.

I agree with @makingmark. Cannot do just straight iced coffee.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Add sugar and plenty of cream. That's how I had it in Italy and its delish. However, they make it with full out super strong espreso, so its not that weak watery stuff. I guess that's why the sugar and cream just send it through the roof delish.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I will get mine with sugarfree syrup sometimes -- adds sweetness and flavor.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I like mine black but if you ask them to add coconut milk at starbucks it's like 45 calories and gives it a little sweet/creaminess to it. I do that sometimes when i'm in the mood for something different.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Starbucks has several sugar free syrups. Caramel is my favorite.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Starbucks has sugar-free syrups - the kind they use in their skinny drinks. Vanilla or caramel would probably be tasty. You can also ask them to sweeten with Splenda or Sweet-n-Low while they mix. Or add it yourself.
    I find that I'm happy with 2 packets of real sugar - 30 calories. I drink hot coffee black, so I may just be more suited for less sugar.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee the way I like with sugar and cream. Don't force yourself to drink something you don't like, giving up things temporarily for weight loss doesn't work.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I stopped doing my "medium regular", ~250+ calorie Dunkin Donuts coffee over a year ago, and have been drinking at least one large black every day since. Yes, it took a little while to get used to it, but I now have it that way *all the time*, including on 95-degree hazy, hot, humid summer days in New England. The missus has suggested I get the coffee black and iced, but to me a steaming hot cuppa joe tastes so much better, and the flavor isn't masked by sweeteners or dairy. Good luck!!! :)
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Ask for the light roast to be iced for you. They will tell you it can't be done. Insist. It's delicious.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I get iced coffee with a splash of milk in it and find that not bad. You could also ask for sugar free syrup, they have them in a few flavours at most coffee shops. I think black iced coffee is so gross...(oddly enough I drink my hot coffee black though).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I get an iced Americano with a splash of cream and 3-4 sugar packets. It's under 100 cals. Ask for one with room and you can add your own cream and sugar at the condiment bar, but of course you're eyeballing the amounts (so are the baristas for that matter).

I but I drink these several times a week, hasn't hindered my progress. And there's no way I'm drinking my afternoon pick-me-up black, especially if it's Starbucks! LOL Too bitter! I drink my morning hot coffee black (love me some fresh ground Peet's the best!), but even if I home brew myself an iced coffee with the good stuff, I add my own half & half and sugar.

Drink what you like, make it fit into your goals. But no sense in forcing yourself to try to like something. :tongue:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Get iced tea instead.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Prefer mine hot.

I use artificial sweetener still though (equal). I got myself off creamer only slowly over years of accidentally running out of it all the time but not wanting to go without my coffee. I only went over to regular coffee from fancy coffees when I really needed it every day to be awake at work. I don't think it's easy to train yourself to like something you don't, circumstance has to push you.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about Starbuck, but I've had the iced coffee from Tim Hortons with milk instead of cream and it's 70 cals (for a medium). There's a sweetener in there, so it's pretty darn drinkable. I've also tried making cold brew coffee at home and then adding skim milk and sugar free flavoured syrup- very nice! I'm in a small town, but I'm sure if I was at a Starbucks I could swindle up some skim milk and ask them for a pump of sugar free vanilla :)

But as Adc7225 said, don't give up everything for weight loss. Making permanent lifestyle changes and losing weight the healthy way means you CAN enjoy coffee the way you want to, but just track it and portion control :)
  • JessaWannaEatEverything
    JessaWannaEatEverything Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    They also have "classic" syrup they usually like to add to iced coffee. I'm a big fan of plain old iced coffee, so I haaatteeeeee it when they add a pump of classic. It makes it much sweeter though!