Everyones "method" to their weight loss

Options
Hey everyone! So I know everyone kind of believes in their own method of what works for them so I am just interested to hear. Do y'all prefer "clean eating", counting calories in vs. out, etc.

I am in a balancing game of first learning how to maintain calories in vs out without going hungry and then learning how to eat cleaner foods instead of all processed junk.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want within my calories while trying to reach my protein goal and not to be hungry all day. Basically, it means that I let myself have 200-300 calories of non filling foods a day (bread, cookies, ice cream etc). The rest is whole foods, pretty much.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i ate clean for years and never lost a pound - in fact, i put many on. counting calories doesn't preclude clean eating, but you can't lose weight without lowering your calories, and the only way to know how much you're eating it to weigh and log.

you know, not all pre-packaged or processed foods are bad for you at all. i read a lot of labels to find the foods i prefer to eat. a couple ones that are readily available include plain greek yogurt (and some flavored ones), and oats - just regular quaker oats as they have one ingredient, which is oats, and are super good for you.

btw, my ex father in law lived to almost 100, and until the last year, he was in good health overall. he ate all sorts of stuff, much of it processed, and he lived longer and healthier than most, while his brother - who eats organic and healthy and has for decades - had a world of health problems. he's still alive in his 90s, though. i had a friend who lived on candy, stuff like hostess cakes and playing video games, and he was thin as a rail. obviously we don't want to follow his example, but eating pizza or a brownie once in a while isn't going to hurt you.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I eat what I want while exercising portion control. CICO.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I focus on calories. I also try to get at least .8g/lb of protein (not hard, I often get more) to protect muscle, and eat a healthful diet with lots of vegetables, but that's more about health and making sure I have lots of energy, not weight.

The biggest lifestyle changes for me are being mindful about what I eat (and mostly only eating at meals or a planned snack), being as active as possible in my daily life (walking anywhere I can, not having sedentary days), and getting interested in some active hobbies (biking, running, triathlon). When I'm active I tend to find it easier to want to eat well.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I totally believe the CICO and I tend to eat light breakfast, light to midsize lunch and then I really eat a huge dinner, I love to eat a half a head of cauliflower or cabbage with chicken or turkey sausage. And 100% getting enough water.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't stress it. I only focus on hitting my protein goal and calorie limit. That's it.

I don't worry about what the fats/carbs will be because I HATE overly obsessing over numbers. As long as I hit my calories and protein that's all I care about.

As far as "clean" vs "junk" foods. I always have a few servings of vegetables and fruits every day. Always. I do log the fruit but not the veggies. I just have no desire to obsess over weighing and logging spinach and broccoli.

If I'm really really hungry that day, I won't eat any "junk" at all. It'll be straight up wholesome, satiating foods that fill me up.

If my appetite is okay then I'll eat more "junk".

I just try to keep it simple
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    No matter what your choice is, it's still CICO that causes the weight loss (or gain).

Protein and fat make me feel more full, so I go for a 30/30/40 macro ratio.
    I bank calories during the week to spend on the weekends with friends/family/boyfriend/events/etc.
    Bringing my lunch to work every day is KEY for me.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I prefer just keeping up with my calories. Since I usually eat the same things, no need for a food scale anymore. My scale broke months ago, and I haven't replaced it since. I've just been estimating my intake the past few months. I'm more likely to increase my CO than limit my CI when maintaining or losing though, but that's just what works for me at this point in my life.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    CICO all the way. I eat what I want, when I want, so long as it's in my deficit. I'd say that I probably focus more on protein because it fills me up, but I'm not super strict about it. The majority of my calories usually fall in the night because I'm a night snacker. I also do strength training and some light cardio for exercise, which gives me more calories to play with
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    For me, it's about three things:
    1) VEGGIES/FIBER: I eat 30-40 g of veggies a day--mostly spinach, napa cabbage, shredded broccoli. I make big omelets with very little egg ir cheese and lots of veg; HUGE salads with little dressing, and soups & stir fries
    2) LOW CARB: my rule is "booze, bread OR brownie"--I can have one or two a day, but not all three (with brownie being the alliterative stand in for all sweets and desserts)
    3) REGULAR REASONABLE EXERCISE: I must have some sort of regular (but not obsessive or excessive! ) physical exercise. I shoot for between of 2 and 3 hours per week--walking, swimming, gardening, dancing . . . Sometimes it comes in 10 -15 minute increments, but it still counts!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    CI<CO
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Modified Mediterranean (no bread or wine) and organic as much as possible. Dairy and any red meat (almost no red meat) is grass fed and preferably local. I grow a garden pretty much year round. And I log.
  • jamesblood13
    jamesblood13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm yet to find my method. Currently I decide not to drink for a bit, eat well and exercise and it drops off. Then I decide one beer won't do any harm, nor will that takeout/pizza, and bam, i'm back to where I was again! haha
  • sammy_c_read
    sammy_c_read Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm yet to find my method. Currently I decide not to drink for a bit, eat well and exercise and it drops off. Then I decide one beer won't do any harm, nor will that takeout/pizza, and bam, i'm back to where I was again! haha

i totally feel you on that. Beer is my weakness
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    ...and I go to the gym 5 days a week.
  • absentmindedhousewife
    absentmindedhousewife Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just found I don't get enough to feel satiated unless I throw in a bunch of raw veg. Call it clean eating if you like. Last night's dinner was a homemade tamale, chili and a big *kitten* pile of shredded cabbage and a chopped tomato.

Then I followed that with a half glass of 2% and girl scout thin mints. Because cookies are awesome.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    low carb, high fat, mostly vegetarian
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    CICO for me - I dont eat out often, I eat a mix of processed food and "whole" foods, I dont drink alcohol often, I dont exercise due to medical issues, I love chocolate and indulge on occasion, I love chips so have them almost nightly in a controlled portion and have lost 65 pounds since October 2015. I know I can eat like this in the long term, and thats the most important thing to me, the piece of the puzzle that I didnt have on prior weight loss attempts.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ultimately for me it is coming down to CICO, with some exercise and cooking good food at supper time. Generally I try to keep carbs down, not because they're inherently bad, but because proteins and fats suppress my voracious appetite better. I usually do a protein shake with added fat (heavy cream) for breakfast and lunch, because it's quick to make and I can prepare them ahead without much fuss.

In the mornings I do 35mins on the elliptical at a high-ish resistance, on the Precor ones I go at resistance 12 and 10 in 2min intervals.

Breakfast - Usually a protein shake, I make my own ketochow at home and it keeps me full for 4-5hrs, 453cal, 11g carb, 34g fat, 37g protein, 6g fiber.

Lunch - Another shake typically, sometimes I go to the cafeteria at work and get a chicken breast and salad, either way its usually between 450-600cal.

Supper - Depends on what I feel like making. Last night I smoked some chicken breasts and had raw veggies and ranch on the side. Tonight I'm having the leftovers from that and prepping for tomorrow. Tomorrow it'll be sous vide steak with bearnaise sauce, roasted asparagus, and shrimp with whiskey lime sauce (saving about 1000cals for that delicious nightmare)

So far I'm down about 35lbs since February, and I just started adding the exercise a couple weeks ago.