Favorite running shoe

Options
2»

Replies

• rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love my New Balance 860v6. I bought them at a local running shop and the salesperson selected them to help with my tendency to overpronate. They're the lightest stability shoe I've tried so far.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I love my Mizuno wave Enigmas. I think they'll be my standard shoe until any major changes to the shoe style are made.

But as so many other above posters have said; go to a running store and get fitted. Height, weight, running style, distances, level of pronation and general shoe preference all make a difference to what shoe will be right for you.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    go get fitted at a reputable running store. everyone is different. I love my mizunos and can't stand nike.

definitely go get fitted at a real running store. just walk in and do it. it's amazing!
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Altra Instinct
  • Gaz_Palmer
    Gaz_Palmer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Anyone got favourites that work well with orthotics?
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have tried New Balance, Saucony, Nike and Brooks.

I like the Brooks and New Balance the best so far.
  • kylegeldmaker
    kylegeldmaker Posts: 21 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    All the runners I know wear brooks. I bought a pair of adrenaline 16, they are easily the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn they also come in 4e sizes.

All the Nikes I've had were poor quality in comparison to brooks. They also don't fit well and durability isn't up to other performance brands. Looking at shoes as a performance tool has opened my eyes. Go to a store and wear all the shoes. Lace them up, walk around.

Edit: also, Skechers new memory foam line are comfy and really light weight. They are also available in 4e.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Brooks? Nike? New Balance? Whatever... It makes little difference if all you do is get opinions from reviews or forums. Go to a local running store (a specialty store, not a big box store) and have them analyze your gait and feet. They will find the right type of shoe for you and then give you the various brands that make the shoe you need. Then YOU have to decide what YOU like.

FWIW, All the runners I know (and I know a bunch) wear whatever they like. No one brand rules. I personally have 3 different brands in my closet right now. I do have a favorite but that doesn't really help you.
  • campbell3913
    campbell3913 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but my husband is, at 67 he can still pound out 13 + miles running mountain trails. He goes to a running store or a sporting good store like REI that hires and trains people that actually know what they're doing. They should ask what type of surface you run on, distance, your current weight and they should check how you wear out your shoes. Some are neutral, some are for people that pronate or supinate. He wears orthotics so has to buy up a size. The running stores are usually more expense so he takes advantage of their expertise, buys 1 pair and then shops around for the same make and model cheaper if he really likes them.
  • giomarine13
    giomarine13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    New balance have never steered me wrong
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Agree with other folks about going to a running specialty store and getting fitted. One caveat is that they may try to up-sell you on inserts or other stuff you may not really need.

I race in Saucony, but train in Hokas. I have some Pearl Izumi trail shoes I really like, and a pair of minimal New Balance trail shoes I might bust out for a short trail run or race. It all depends on the shape of your foot, your weight, and what works for you.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

All the Nikes I've had were poor quality in comparison to brooks. They also don't fit well and durability isn't up to other performance brands.

They fall apart!!!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I always wore Asics Cumulus but last time changed to Brooks Ghosts. I did like the Brooks but they don't have as much padding so I feel they wore out quicker so have gone back to the Asics.