Injured=no exercise! Help!

Options
Bedg
Bedg Posts: 32 Member
I have always considered myself lucky in that I love to exercise no matter what my size. Well, I was playing outside with the kids and was running. I heard a pop and felt something give in my glute/hamstring region and PAIN! calling the PT today. I'm worried I may stress eat. I know the injury (it's from years ago) will take weeks to heal. So sad :(

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I'm glad you're going to contact your PT, but in the meantime just take it easy and remember that exercise isn't needed for weight loss - although you might get less calories if you're less active. Stress eating isn't going to make it any better for your health or weight loss, it's just a quick fix for your mood.

If/when the pain isn't too bad, search YouTube for some chair exercises that you can do whilst you're healing.
  • Bedg
    Options
    Thank you for the support and words of wisdom!
    Ouch! I'm glad you're going to contact your PT, but in the meantime just take it easy and remember that exercise isn't needed for weight loss - although you might get less calories if you're less active. Stress eating isn't going to make it any better for your health or weight loss, it's just a quick fix for your mood.

If/when the pain isn't too bad, search YouTube for some chair exercises that you can do whilst you're healing.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    So sorry this happened. You have experience on how to handle this. If you think you will stress eat, you will do so. If you make a PLAN to eat healthy, you will. Find out what you can fo to kept other areas of body moving & in shape. Good luck!
  • Bedg
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    So sorry this happened. You have experience on how to handle this. If you think you will stress eat, you will do so. If you make a PLAN to eat healthy, you will. Find out what you can fo to kept other areas of body moving & in shape. Good luck!

You are so right! I'm sticking to calorie counting and upper body work and so far my head is still in the game.
  • robertpcooke
    robertpcooke Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just torn a muscle in shoulder a week ago, stuck very discipled to diet this week no gym time but still recorded lowest fat mass for years today. If you can't exercise they way you want you can still eat right stick at it and don't spoil the hard work
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    If you think it'll work with your injury you could try swimming front crawl with a pull buoy between your legs. It's one of the few ways to get a cardio workout whilst you have a leg/foot injury.

Whilst you recover maybe find some new and inspiring low calorie recipes to try out... Treat yourself to a new cookbook or subscribe to a new YouTube channel then maybe that'll help you avoid high calorie/junk food?
  • Bedg
    Options
    Just torn a muscle in shoulder a week ago, stuck very discipled to diet this week no gym time but still recorded lowest fat mass for years today. If you can't exercise they way you want you can still eat right stick at it and don't spoil the hard work

Thank you! Great work!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I used a stationary bike only for 6+ months because of an injury. Do what you CAN do while you're healing.
  • GradyFletcher
    GradyFletcher Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yea i just started back to thongs 2weekd ago and BOOM first time in years i threw my back out so bad i had to call out of work... Can barely walk. But just staying focused on the food part of things.. Fingers crossed. So I totally feel you're pain on that. Its so.. Disheartening. We'll grt through though
  • GradyFletcher
    GradyFletcher Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't know how to edit... Just got back to things not thongs HAH
  • kasparkid
    kasparkid Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to exercise for 8 days after hurting my lower back. Hoping to be back in the gym in a couple of days. Staying away from stress eating is probably most important. Plan your meals at the beginning of the day (rather than tracking later), and do whatever exercise you can to keep your spirits up, if nothing else.
  • mfmetsker
    mfmetsker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yea i just started back to thongs 2weekd ago and BOOM first time in years i threw my back out so bad i had to call out of work... Can barely walk. But just staying focused on the food part of things.. Fingers crossed. So I totally feel you're pain on that. Its so.. Disheartening. We'll grt through though

This cracked me up. I have nearly thrown my back out seeing myself in a thong as well(in a bad way).
  • Bedg
    Options

Thank you! Hang in there!
  • Bedg
    Options
    mfmetsker wrote: »

This cracked me up. I have nearly thrown my back out seeing myself in a thong as well(in a bad way).

Very funny! I was thinking... "huh, very comfortable sharing I guess..." lol
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you think you'll stress eat, and that it's unavoidable, invest in foods that are super low-calorie. I like to go for plain popcorn, and put salt and garlic and seasonings on it that give it some flavor. Good for those times where I just want to eat and eat and eat, but only have about 250 calories to spare. :smile: