Does maintaining weight get easier after a year?

Options
Hi, new here, just joined today :) with everything in the news I got pretty depressed. But then I found this article and wanted to get it straight from the horses mouth. Do you guys find that maintaining is easier after a year? Or is it always super hard like they say in the NYT article?

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2016/04/14/Study-suggests-method-to-maintain-stable-weight-loss/3191460643328/

Replies

• annareeves12609
    annareeves12609 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there I have found at times I need to step up my exercise to continue to loose weight.
  • tmwonline
    tmwonline Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thanks! so you maintain but sometimes creep up and then just need to step up the exercise?
  • Floreadsalot
    Floreadsalot Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Imo i think it gets harder. I got complacent and begin falling back into post wls bad eating habits and no exercise, busy life, more fast food, etc. Im 3yrs in and just saw a weight gain. Its a combination i think of eating the right foods and working out.
  • tmwonline
    tmwonline Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply!
  • Stanley1903
    Stanley1903 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm not there yet, but it's gotten harder to stay committed to losing. I would imagine it gets harder with time. However, having MFP makes it a habit for me. It's easier. I hope this will make maintenance easier. I plan to continue for the foreseeable future.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I did a slow weight loss of a year, then continued counting for a good ~6 months to make sure my maintenance was good.
    6+ year on - maintaining is a subtle portion control and the very occasional few weeks logging.

My exercise has always been what I know I can continue long term, and I have always eaten no less than 50% of my exercise calories back.

It is not difficult but it does take a certain amount of self awareness.

Cheers, h.
  • mimigingerbread
    mimigingerbread Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article link. Nice to read after the NYT one which seemed depressing! I'm at 7 months so far maintaining my 50 lb loss so hoping after a year it will be better.
  • Mentiri
    Mentiri Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds over 3 years, losing 60 pounds in the last year with MFP. I've been in maintenance for 6 months, and my biggest problem has been not losing more weight! Once I found a sustainable activity level and began accurately tracking my calorie intake weight loss was ridiculously easy. As a vegetarian, I tend to eat less calorie dense foods, so I get to eat a volume of food that ensures I'm never hungry. I'm still logging daily, but I find that is also just a manageable part of my routine. I keep waiting for the hard part to begin, but so far it's smooth sailing!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This article is better than the other one, but I don't buy the conclusions. It's the brain/habits/attitudes and not the body/hormones that needs to be trained/changed. Maintenance gets harder AND easier as time goes by - we learn new habits, but we get bored; a new routine can feel uplifting and motivating, but we can keep up stressful regimens only for so long; we get used to our "new" bodies, and we become complacent. We have to be vigilant, but we also need to make our "new lifestyle" fun. It's all about balance.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    hate to tell you but it never gets easy but it is worth it, 4 years and still have to log
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't get easier. Someone posted the same article last week, btw. And I already answered that apparently my hormones didn't get the memo.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    tmwonline wrote: »
    Hi, new here, just joined today :) with everything in the news I got pretty depressed. But then I found this article and wanted to get it straight from the horses mouth. Do you guys find that maintaining is easier after a year? Or is it always super hard like they say in the NYT article?

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2016/04/14/Study-suggests-method-to-maintain-stable-weight-loss/3191460643328/

Nope, it's still a pain in the butt 3 years into it :p For me it's mostly a mental struggle/challenge though, and not a physical one.