Squat Plans??? Thoughts

Options
arniedog74
arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
I am just finishing the 4 week Squat Plan. I am thinking of starting 28 Day Squat Challenge. Squats are easy for me to do at work. My only other exercise is walking. Should I take a break between plans? Or just push forward. I don't want to overdo it.

Replies

• MsBode
    MsBode Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I mainly walk and just started back doing exercises. I'm comfortable doing squats/sumo squats but have started doing single-leg chair squats, bridges with a yoga ball and some resistance bands for my arms. Talk about soreness from those single-leg chair squats! Squats are still my favorite though and I do those while working as well. I would press on if it were me. I personally can't break for long or I get out of my groove.
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Mrsbode wrote: »
    I mainly walk and just started back doing exercises. I'm comfortable doing squats/sumo squats but have started doing single-leg chair squats, bridges with a yoga ball and some resistance bands for my arms. Talk about soreness from those single-leg chair squats! Squats are still my favorite though and I do those while working as well. I would press on if it were me. I personally can't break for long or I get out of my groove.

Thank you so much Mrsbode! As much as I want to be lazy... That was the answer I needed! I'm the same. I will lose all motivation if I don't push myself. This may sound weird... But, I'm anxious to start the new Challenge with new Squats. Sumo and Tuck Squats really get me!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if they are bodyweight squats and your knees feel ok, just push forward !
  • arniedog74
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    if they are bodyweight squats and your knees feel ok, just push forward !

Forward I go! Thank you SonyaCele
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    arniedog74 wrote: »
    I am just finishing the 4 week Squat Plan. I am thinking of starting 28 Day Squat Challenge. Squats are easy for me to do at work. My only other exercise is walking. Should I take a break between plans? Or just push forward. I don't want to overdo it.

How much weight you squatting? If bodyweight only, you could run two plans at once and suffer no ill.
  • arniedog74
    Options

How much weight you squatting? If bodyweight only, you could run two plans at once and suffer no ill.

Only doing body weight. I am halfway through 2nd Plan. Not sure if it's helping.. But still pushing. Thanks
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    not sure if its helping what? at some point body weight squats will just become a mobility exercise, and then you have to add weight if you are trying to build strength.
  • arniedog74
    Options
    not sure if its helping what? at some point body weight squats will just become a mobility exercise, and then you have to add weight if you are trying to build strength.

I'm trying to lose weight and size. The weight is barely (not) changing. I do the Squats cuz it's something quick and easy on the sly at work. Plus, I walk all day long as I work at an animal rescue and I walk the dogs. Just can't tell much of a difference over the last 3 months.
  • SonyaCele
    Options

I'm trying to lose weight and size. The weight is barely (not) changing. I do the Squats cuz it's something quick and easy on the sly at work. Plus, I walk all day long as I work at an animal rescue and I walk the dogs. Just can't tell much of a difference over the last 3 months.

weight loss is all about what you eat. Squats wont help you lose weight but they are good for you.
  • arniedog74
    Options

weight loss is all about what you eat. Squats wont help you lose weight but they are good for you.

Thanks. I'm in hopes that the combo of eating less, walking more and the Squats, will get me headed in the right direction. So far... Not so much... Doing my best to keep pushing and hope I'll notice a change, eventually
  • arniedog74
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

You aren't helping your weight loss with a handful of bodyweight squats a day. Even a hundred probably would burn a quarter of the calories, at best I'd imagine. Just worry about your food and do exercise for cardio health / aesthetics.

I do walk 5 days a week... Trying to push for more...I started walking/running in evenings... Weather just hasn't been cooperating much, lately... I am logging food everyday... Just not positive the calories that MFP has assigned me is right for me. Or maybe I'm just looking for another excuse as to why I'm not succeeding.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    250 squats a day?? Not sure how helpful that is - why not do 10 a day and add as much weight as you can over time - you will get a lot faster and better results....
  • arniedog74
    Options
    I don't do 250/day. I follow Squat Challenge. Right now I'm on beginner and do from 20-50 depending on the day. I don't do weight, simply because I'm hiding in the bathroom at work, doing squats. Maybe I should just hope for it to help me tone/firm. And, log food for weight.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Basically, I use them between squat sets as mobility and keeping my heart rate up. I'll do a set of squats, and then do 100 or so bodyweight. Then my next set.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Totally off topic but I have to say thank you for helping the animals :) I miss working in the animal welfare industry!
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    I don't do 250/day. I follow Squat Challenge. Right now I'm on beginner and do from 20-50 depending on the day. I don't do weight, simply because I'm hiding in the bathroom at work, doing squats. Maybe I should just hope for it to help me tone/firm. And, log food for weight.

yes.

also, if you've been doing standard bodyweight squats for a while, you can try adding some variation to them to mix things up and make it more challenging. like jump squats, isometric squats (squat and hold at the bottom), single leg squats, sumo squats. Google squat variations , there are a zillion ways to shake things up. The idea of hundreds of standard squats over and over and over kinda sounds painful and boring and progress inhibiting.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Gave a look at this body weight programme. You will get a greater benefit than just focus on squats. If you have to break it up into doable segments it still gives you a good whole body work out.

Have a read of the whole site while you are there.

Cheers, h.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • dxlee7
    dxlee7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Keep moving forward. Take a rest day if you need to. Listen to your body, not your mind. If your body is too fatigued, then take a break. Just try to get in some activity ever day. Even a 30 minute walk is good for you. Good luck and keep it going.
  • arniedog74
    Options

Totally off topic but I have to say thank you for helping the animals :) I miss working in the animal welfare industry!

You are welcome. I love it. It can be very fulfilling and heartbreaking all at the same time. But, I love caring for them. And, walking them daily is an added bonus for me!