Are we doomed?

emdeesea
emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
What does everyone think of this article? Sounds pretty depressing to me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?_r=1

Replies

• eyeshinebright
    eyeshinebright Posts: 51 Member
    vismal wrote: »
    No because journalists misinterpret studies all the time. Remember the study that had journalists claiming the "one minute workout" was the key to fitness success just a week or two ago? They manipulate what a study actually says to get an interesting, click-baity, article.

Exactly! My alma mater did that study and I was confused why all the headlines said one minute workout, when in fact it was really more of a 10 minute HIIT workout. You just can't read or watch anything in the media anymore haha.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    vismal wrote: »
    No because journalists misinterpret studies all the time. Remember the study that had journalists claiming the "one minute workout" was the key to fitness success just a week or two ago? They manipulate what a study actually says to get an interesting, click-baity, article.

Exactly! My alma mater did that study and I was confused why all the headlines said one minute workout, when in fact it was really more of a 10 minute HIIT workout. You just can't read or watch anything in the media anymore haha.

Ha! That's funny! I actually just saw a short news clip of this today! The news really does manipulate the information for more views!
  • DrewMontoya
    DrewMontoya Posts: 77 Member
    Here's the actual study, not some pop rag's interpretation of it.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.21538/epdf

Now, look at Table 1. Enter those average stats into your favorite TDEE/BMR calculator. 3. Compare your calculated numbers with the RMR values in Table 1. The 30 week numbers are surprisingly close, and in fairness, the 6 year numbers are quite different once you enter the 6 year stats into the calculator. However, the article makes it sound as if a 1900 kcal BMR means you'll be on an unhealthy restriction to keep the weight off.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    weight loss shows LOL after the people lose there weight, i bet the show dont show them how to maintaine and educate the people how to keep the weight off, i bet a small percent of people stay at the weight that they ended up at the end of the show, the rest are right back to the see food diet