Protein

Options
andysport1
andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
So someone has posted if I have too much protein whilst calorie reduced my body will change the protein to glucose, I thought your body just got rid of excess. which is correct ? Next question how do you know if your consuming too much ?
I train hard whilst trying to reduce weight, so I figure I need protein to both protect and maintain my muscle.

Replies

• withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You are wrong, but I'm not sure it's covered into glucose either. Still, it stays with you, sorry. Normal people need .8g/kg (kilogram, don't listen to those morons who say pounds), extremely hard working atheletes need 1.4-2.0g/kg. I can't give more advice than that too much protein over a long period of time is hard on your kidneys, so don't go crazy
  • andysport1
    Options
    You are wrong, but I'm not sure it's covered into glucose either. Still, it stays with you, sorry. Normal people need .8g/kg (kilogram, don't listen to those morons who say pounds), extremely hard working atheletes need 1.4-2.0g/kg. I can't give more advice than that too much protein over a long period of time is hard on your kidneys, so don't go crazy
    I weigh 93kg I've been aiming at 70-100g + 20g for every hour of exercise (bike or run)
    How do you know if your having too much ?

• drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options

There is very little linking high protein intake with reduced kidney function or kidney problems. Yes, your kidneys work harder to expel nitrogen, but individuals with healthy, functioning kidneys have no problem on high protein diets, according to studies done.

Where it becomes a problem is when an individual has kidneys that are already impaired.

There's nothing wrong with eating 1g per 1lbs body weight. It's not going to harm you.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/330184-protein-free-foods/
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    All I can say is it's really hard to eat too much protein. IF you are working out regularly, you will be fine. You need protein for your muscles to recover and grow. I would agree that eating 1g per pound of body weight is more than fine. Log it and you will know if you are getting more or less than that. I have a trainer and am suppose to get more than that but I can barely eat that much in a day.
    Good luck. Better to get a little more than you need than not enough.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

1.4 - 2.0g/kg equates to roughly 0.7-0.8 grams per Lb of body weight...which is why people who work in pounds use that.

0.8g/kg is the RDA minimum for a generally sedentary individual.

Damn morons...
  • andysport1
    Options
    @flippy1234 & @cwolfman13 & @drwilseyjr so what do you guys think am I about right aiming at 70-100 on a rest day and closer to 100 +20g per hour on a training day, Sundays would be 220-240g I weigh 93kg
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I don't do per hour of exercise. It's per day. I try and hit the same on rest and workout days. Don't forget that on rest days, you are still burning fat and building muscle from the workout day. I would just stick with 1 gram per pound of body weight.