TMI. Constipation

Options
I have been using MFP for 8 weeks. I am currently down 17 pounds. I enter every bite and exercise with cardio and strength training 5 days a week and pickle ball 3 times a week. I feel great, with the exception of constipation. I eat around 15 fiber and take a supplement to reach the 25 advised. I drink a gallon of water a day. Does anyone else have this issue? I don't feel terribly bloated, but I am only averaging going every 7-10 days.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How's your fat intake? I've been around MFP for quite awhile, and this is a common problem for people when they first start - they tend to go low-fat or fat free everything, and even with water and fiber, things don't move the way they should.

Avocados, raw nuts, fish, olive & coconut oils, good fat sources that might help.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If you've reduced your eating significantly, you'll need to go less. If you've recently upped your fiber intake a lot, then that could be the culprit.

So long as you do eventually go, and everything looks normal you should be fine. Do make sure to look. I know it sounds gross, but your 'business' tells a metric crap ton (couldn't resist the pun) about your health.

Oh. If its black. Go to the doctor immediately.
  • Hollisg429
    Hollisg429 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been averaging around 30 grams of fat. I even ate prunes yesterday. Guess I will give it time, maybe this is a new norm
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My daily fat goal is 67g, and I am frequently over that numbered - hasn't stopped me from dropping 25lbs and reaching my goals. Seriously - don't be afraid to eat more fat. :smile:
  • vegasleo79
    vegasleo79 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    30g of fat is too low. I usually eat about 65-80. Just makes sure most are good sources like mentioned above - avocados, nuts, olive/coconut oils, etc... My fiber intake is around 20-25 most days, some days only 10-15.
  • paganvegan
    paganvegan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Haha. I must eat more fat
  • Hollisg429
    Options
    Going to try more fat, I am willing to try anything. Just when I say it isn't bothering me, it starts to feel uncomfortable. Probably in my head
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Had same problem, added oatmeal to my diet, two tablespoons of dry oats actually as i don't like cooked oatmeal. I just add it to my morning smoothie and it helped with regularity. And honestly it didn't change the taste of the drink, added bonus for me.
  • lisakhouck
    lisakhouck Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem in the beginning and for me I think it was because I changed my eating habits so drastically (no longer eating fast food twice a day, every day). I've also made sure to keep my fiber and fat intake at a good healthy amount as well as a lot of water (which I know you said you're already doing).
  • Healthme15
    Healthme15 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The best you should do now is to provide your body more water. As it could help you in the digestion process. If it will not work, then take this Digestic by Mimonis which is very effective in treating my constipation that is why I am confident suggesting it to you.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am also having this issue...I will try to eat more fats as well and increase my water. best of luck to us both. I am also having more yogurt this week to add in probiotics as well
  • jamesblood13
    jamesblood13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Try peppermint tea that is meant to help. Try lemon in your water as well and make sure you're not cutting out any macros - everything has to be in sync. But then again, everyone is different, and this might just be how your body works. Eventually it'll find a comfortable equilibrium, and if it doesn't you can change things slightly in your diet until it does.
  • Hollisg429
    Options
    It has been a few days since I posted and yet to get relief. I upped my fat intake, good fats and also a bit more water. I am thinking a daily supplement may be needed. . Mimonis is one that was mentioned, is this a daily supplement? I have been on probiotics for over a year, suggestion by my general physician. Any other suggestions are welcome, as it appears this is something many deal with. Thank you all for being kind and taking time to try and help
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Hollisg429 wrote: »
    It has been a few days since I posted and yet to get relief. I upped my fat intake, good fats and also a bit more water. I am thinking a daily supplement may be needed. . Mimonis is one that was mentioned, is this a daily supplement? I have been on probiotics for over a year, suggestion by my general physician. Any other suggestions are welcome, as it appears this is something many deal with. Thank you all for being kind and taking time to try and help

Prune juice, smooth move tea, milk of magnesia (as a last resort).
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I have been averaging around 30 grams of fat. I even ate prunes yesterday. Guess I will give it time, maybe this is a new norm

I'd think 7-10 days is too long, honestly I'd talk to your doctor. I know not all offices have this, but I can send medical questions via email and get feedback. I feel like 30g may not be enough to keep you moving, in my opinion. I eat around 50g a day and go very regularly so a bit more fat could be an idea to try.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP for 8 weeks. I am currently down 17 pounds. I enter every bite and exercise with cardio and strength training 5 days a week and pickle ball 3 times a week. I feel great, with the exception of constipation. I eat around 15 fiber and take a supplement to reach the 25 advised. I drink a gallon of water a day. Does anyone else have this issue? I don't feel terribly bloated, but I am only averaging going every 7-10 days.

This is going to sound weird and maybe it's in my head but I have had issues with this for months. Within the lask week, I started drinking a cup of cold water with a splash of lime juice and a tbs of apple cider vinegar before bed. It's absolutely disgusting but every morning now.... well, it works to say the least! It's supposedly good for your GI track. Who knows. I just know it works for me. PS, if you do this, put a little honey on your tongue before you chug the water because it will help mask the vinegar. bleh
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I would call your doctor. Let them know what is going on. They may ask you to come in, they may just tell you over the phone what you should do. Honestly, this has gone on too long to just keep coming back to an internet message board for medical advice.