When you get REALLY hungry?

megbee617
megbee617 Posts: 100 Member
What do you do when you get hungry (like, food is all you can think of kinda hungry), but you don't want to go over your calorie limit? Aside from drink water?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Eat within the calorie limit?
  • inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    Eat foods which are good for you and nutritious?
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Eat low cal things and make up for it the next few days or eat a little and ignore it. A few extra won't screw you up that bad, if at all. If your hungry, eat.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Snack on raw veggies, eat 1/2 cup Greek yogurt with 1 tbs Jiff peanut butter powder and some swerve sweetner and a little sea salt...it will taste like peanut butter cheesecake! So yummy and very filling!
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    My hubby swears by drinking crushed ice with no sugar tang or lemonade and eats/drinks that all the time and it fills him up!
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    If I'm REALLY hungry, then it must be time for real food. If I'm just wanting to eat, not actually needing to eat, I chew chewing gum. Gives me mouth some flavour and something to do :p
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Tree nuts or some fruit. Tree nuts aren't low calorie but I just love a handful of almonds or walnuts
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,818 Member
    During my first month or so I got really hungry at times while I was figuring out what worked and what didn't.

For example pears and cashews did not work. Pears are fairly high in calories and I'd be starving 30 min later. Cashews are really high in calories and if I at the 13 or so of them I could afford within my calorie limit, they did nothing at all to ease hunger.

Since I sorted out those things and got into a pattern, I've rarely been really hungry.

Exercise also helps ... when I exercise, I can eat a bit more. :)

Now, if there are moments when I feel a bit of a gnawing hunger and it's still 45 minutes until my next snack, I might make lemon-ginger tea or rooibos-chai tea ... something that tastes really nice, and is quite soothing, but has no calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    I usually just wait until my next meal -- it's rarely that far away by the time I'm hungry. If REALLY hungry, I'd consider whether my calorie goal was appropriate or whether I'd not been giving myself credit for lots of additional activity beyond my normal, as I don't tend to get really hungry between meals once I'd gotten into the habit of eating on a particular schedule. If I just really want to eat, something low cal and easy like raw vegetables or maybe a dill pickle.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    I have these types of snacks built in to my day. Usually it's beef jerky
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Drink water to get rid of hunger?
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Just some random thoughts and possible ideas.

Gravitate toward more voluminous foods (i.e.. greens over starches). Compare 200 grams of broccoli or green leaf lettuce to that of 200 grams of cooked rice as an example for both volume and calories.

Maybe try eating more frequently (still have to account for overall calories) so that you don't go so long without eating. Psychologically, knowing you will be eating sooner rather than later might help. On the "flip side", some find intermittent fasting to work better as some find going long stretches without food actually blunts hunger and are more satiated with fewer larger meals.

Limit "highly tasty" food items and go with milder tasting items. So think about how much plain unflavored oatmeal you could eat compared to oatmeal flavored with brown sugar and other accouterments that make it tastier.

Stay hydrated...thirst can be masked as hunger and while you think you are hungry, your body is actually thirsty.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Chew gum, distract self, drink zero cal beverages, distract self...do heavy cardio for a few minutes. This actually makes me not want food for 30-60 minutes. I am in the home stretch of a calorie bank at a low start weight, so I can't afford to snack. YMMV.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Eat.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Drink some water and wait 20 minutes. See how you feel then.
    Get busy with something and get away from food.
    If I really am hungry I might just decide to have a maintenance day. Yesterday was a day like that for me. I had had my calories, protein, fats, water, vegetables, fruits, etc and was still super hungry. I wasn't emotional or bored. I chose to just eat a bit more, log it and move on with my life. It happens occasionally.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    LEAN PROTEIN. Even if it puts me over my calorie limit by 80 - 100 calories, I will go for a lean protein (home-made turkey jerky, low-sodium canned beans, or baked tofu "nuggets" are what I keep on hand for this)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    megbee617 wrote: »
    What do you do when you get hungry (like, food is all you can think of kinda hungry), but you don't want to go over your calorie limit? Aside from drink water?

It depends. If you're saying it's the end of the day and you have no calories left but you're hungry, then you have to decide if you're really physically hungry or just thinking about food. The latter requires distraction. If it's hunger, eat something with protein and fiber and log it. Yes you will go a little over your daily limit but it's better than going on an all
    Out binge. Trust that you can make up for it the next day (s).

If it's not the end of the day and you have calories left but don't want to eat in between meals,it's ok to change your plan. If you're really hungry and it's hours until dinner you can go ahead and eat a snack and find a way to cut out calories from dinner later.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Look at my macros and see if I short on something then pick a snack that fills that gap...
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    I have my day pre logged and all my food aside from dinner on me at all times. So when I find myself ravenous I eat, even if it's not a "meal time"
    One day I was so hungry, I was about to cry because OMG it's only 10am and I have to fast until lunch! Then I snapped out of it and ate the dang food because it doesn't matter when I eat it, only that I stay under my goal.

This is why pre logging is the key for me.