Running shoes

Options
javpet
javpet Posts: 5 Member
I'm about to buy new running shoes which one would you recommend and why? Now I'm hesitating between the the Nike Flex 2015, and the Nike flyknit Lunar 2, but I'm not solely looking for Nike shoes. Thanks for your replies!

Replies

• SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    No-one can say for sure. Go by fit and feel. I have a £20 pair of aldi shoes and a £120 pair of Brooks. Both are great for me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I like the Asic Gel 360. YRMV
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The best thing I ever did was go and have a gait analysis done. What is brilliant for me (Brooks for over-pronation) might not work or be comfortable for you. I used to be in agony the day after trying to run, now I ache, but I can at least walk!
  • FatMomRun
    FatMomRun Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    The best thing I ever did was go and have a gait analysis done. What is brilliant for me (Brooks for over-pronation) might not work or be comfortable for you. I used to be in agony the day after trying to run, now I ache, but I can at least walk!

This, no one can tell you what shoe is best for you. I personally can't run in Nike at all, they kill my feet. I keep buying into the marketing hype but I kick myself after the first mile for even putting them on my feet. Thank goodness, Run On has a 30 day return policy. I've ended up taking ever pair of Nikes back that I have purchased.

I personally like Brooks Ghosts, On CloudSufer and Saucony Triumph ISO. My favorites being my ONs. I rotate my shoes every run.
  • javpet
    javpet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great helpy answers! I'll start with a analysis of my feet.
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I love Brooks. My husband is on the national guard running team. And that's the only shoes he wears. He runs all different kinds of
    races from 5k to marathons. They last. They have all different kinds of shoes. Running walking trail ect. Go to their website and there r questions u answer and it will show u the best shoe for u. Hope this helps. Oh and my daughters and I also wear them. We r a family of brooks :)
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It bears repeating. Go to a running store and get fitted. I was having a terrible time with calf pain because of (expensive, pretty, but incorrect) running shoes. I supinate and need a shoe that helps my gait--you can look online and in store all day long, but works for me won't necessarily work for you. Take the 20 minutes and get fitted at a running store!
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I agree with caitlinrn83. Go to a running store and get fitted. Best thing I ever did.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It depends on which ones are most suitable for you and your gait. I went to a running store and got a gait test and was given Asics.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do would be to use an online analyzer to help figure out your needs, or go to a running shop and let a professional help you. Two of my best pairs of running shoes (spiked Nikes for the sprints on Track, and Brooks for my long distance runs) were recommended by someone at a running shop.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Most runners I know, including myself, would avoid Nike, unless all you are worried about is the brand. The brand isnt important really amongst those who appear to do the best - Asics, Mizuno, Brooks, Adidas, amongst others...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if possible i would get fitted and if not possible i would use runner's world's shoe finder

me, i like my brooks glycerin and my saucony-anything
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Most runners I know, including myself, would avoid Nike, unless all you are worried about is the brand.

Why????
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    +1 on Saucony. I think about what I don't like in my current shoe and then go to a running store. There I tell what I don't like and then let them bring out about five pair and pick one. Right now I am playing with a pair that has a slightly larger toe box.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Most runners I know, including myself, would avoid Nike, unless all you are worried about is the brand.

Why????

Because generally they are more focussed on trying to look pretty or using gimmicks such as ultra light material which isnt really much lighter than other materials just to up the price; this rather than accommodating the practicality of running - running style, support, cushioning, etc.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Definitely get fitted.

I've tried plenty of different shoes, but always seem to end up with Saucony (currently using their ISO Hurricanes). Can't get on with New Balance at all.
  • bscmcse
    bscmcse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Got my 1st pair of shoes from a running store 2 weeks ago. They are really cross trainers, but hey, I'm not a runner... yet. They measured each foot 4 different ways, evaluated my gait, brought out 3 options. I felt that all of them were too tight. Then the salesman explained that these shoes were made to be snug and move with your foot. After walking around some more I realized that the 1st pair (New Balance) fit snug and did move with my foot. I would have never picked them myself, but now they fit great and make a big difference when walking. The store was Fleet Feet (I believe it is a franchise). Very helpful and good new shoes.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Most runners I know, including myself, would avoid Nike, unless all you are worried about is the brand. The brand isnt important really amongst those who appear to do the best - Asics, Mizuno, Brooks, Adidas, amongst others...

An exception is the Nike Free Run Distance. If, and only if you like a zero-drop, neutral shoe with moderate cushion, it's a pretty good buy. Besides, there isn't a whole lot of selection of this type of shoe. Size an extra 1/2 size up, though. It runs shorter than most.
  • austin0321
    austin0321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

An exception is the Nike Free Run Distance. If, and only if you like a zero-drop, neutral shoe with moderate cushion, it's a pretty good buy. Besides, there isn't a whole lot of selection of this type of shoe. Size an extra 1/2 size up, though. It runs shorter than most.

Also you typically depending on longer distances (13.1,26.2,Ultra) will want to go a 1/2 size up in any shoe do to the potential for slight swelling and to make sure you're not jamming your toe's into the front of the shoe when pushing off.