Frustrated

2»

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    It seems like the changes you are making are more casual, so it's not surprising that your results will be "casual" as well. You can't make a few minor changes and expect results overnight.

That being said - the changes you have made are AWESOME and the results you're getting are GREAT! Don't let slow loss discourage you, just check the grand scheme of things. 1lb a week is healthy for someone that has as little to lose as you do.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Progress%25252520with%25252520pics.jpg

It takes time but it works - I actually gained in my first week (probably just weighing myself at a different time of day,

Stick with it - You're doing great! (This worked out at 1lb every 5.5 days)
  • helloclaire
    helloclaire Posts: 191
    I also feel as if I hit a plateau.. I was losing a lot the first week and after that it's been slow. But it's a slow process and I am trying to accept that.
  • sbperry72
    sbperry72 Posts: 12
    My two cents is to be positive and supportive of yourself and set small, realistic goals. Be confident that you are doing something good for yourself and your health every day that you stick to your calories and get in some exercise.

Losing 2 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks is already a great accomplishment and a good start. In my experience and humble opinion, it takes a while for the calories you burn and don't eat one day to show up in a lower scale readout. Plus everybody's body is different and weight will not always come off evenly. You just have to stick to it and don't get thrown off track even if your weight stays the same or goes up a little bit one week to the next.

In my case, it took 8 weeks to show a two pound weight loss and then suddenly I showed a 4 pound weight loss over a single week. Note that I have also been eating 1200 net and working out EVERY day for at least 30 minutes and that I did not change anything from the time I was showing a 1/4 pound loss per week to the week when I showed a 4 pound loss. My body obviously just took a while to get the message that this was for real.

I had a similar experience 6 years ago (when I lost 60 pounds). It took just over one year and the weight loss was not even from week to week.

Since that 60 pound loss I've gained back 15, but since it has been 15 pounds over 6 years, I don't expect to be able to drop those 15 pounds immediately and I also look at the bright side that I'm back on track to get back to my goal weight. What is important is the trend down, not how long it takes you to get there.

There is a place you can enter waist measurements, etc. on MFP and you could also consider weighing yourself less often to see if that helps. But the bottom line is just to take comfort that what may seem like small steps forward will add up in the end.
  • lanie25
    lanie25 Posts: 42
    Two pounds in two weeks is a start! This will be a long, hard journey! It is up to you to make it fun and worthwhile.
    You'll need to walk more than 30 minutes every day to promote weight loss. Try an exercise video every day, walk more (try going up and down hills or steps!), join a gym, use strength bands, do exercises while watching tv (avoid snacking), walk 30 minutes TWICE a day.The weight should come off quicker for you then.
    It did for me.
  • WOW! Thanks everyone! It sounds like everyone feels that I'm doing things "right" and I guess that's what I wanted to know. I've been questioning myself. I'm trying to add some additional walking to my routine but at this point, I'm working 10 to 12 hour days and have young children. My walks arent really intense...walking with kids and a dog, but it's way more then I was doing before. The 1200 calories is a HUGE change. I was drinking pop, lemonade, eating sweets, pastas, bread...you name it. I feel like I'm getting enough to eat but I don't always reach my 1200 calories and I don't usually eat my exercise calories. I'm typically over 1000 calories in a day for sure but not always 1200. How about some ideas for snacks throughout the day to add a few more calories??? Today, at work, I'm going to go cut up a cucumber, which is next to nothing. These are the types of snacks I tend to have.
  • mikeyrp
    I like fruit factory Raisins (with apple, apricot or sultana) in those little 14g boxes - about 45 calories each and they do give you a little energy lift.
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    I like to keep my snacks under 150 calories. an apple is 80 or greek yogurt is 140. those are good!
  • :laugh: I agree....apples or yogurt are both great snacks. I like the yoplait Whipped yogurt. I have one of those every day. :laugh:
  • Boy have I been there! We have similar goals, I'm at 175 trying for 140. I have to double whammy my approach using both this fitness pal website posting my foods in the diary, and I'm using Medifast 5-1 plan, 5 Medifast meals and 1 lean/green meal. First week I lost 3 lbs. AND I had mimosas, a cupcake, and a SLIVER of Sara Lee French whipped cheesecake on the weekend, well it was a mini-cupcake using a fork to eat it (slowing down the process). I'm ecstatic with 3 lbs and expect to keep it up. I ALSO write down the time my meals are consumed, just to make certain I'm eating 2-3 hours apart, when possible. That's important.
  • mikeyrp
    Boy have I been there! We have similar goals, I'm at 175 trying for 140. I have to double whammy my approach using both this fitness pal website posting my foods in the diary, and I'm using Medifast 5-1 plan, 5 Medifast meals and 1 lean/green meal. First week I lost 3 lbs. AND I had mimosas, a cupcake, and a SLIVER of Sara Lee French whipped cheesecake on the weekend, well it was a mini-cupcake using a fork to eat it (slowing down the process). I'm ecstatic with 3 lbs and expect to keep it up. I ALSO write down the time my meals are consumed, just to make certain I'm eating 2-3 hours apart, when possible. That's important.

You know you can set up the categories for the diary? So I have breakfast, lunch, dinner, daytime snack a evening snack - but you could put in your desired meal times.
  • If you're serious about losing quickly, stick to berries for a few weeks as your snack. Slice strawberries and mash 'em up just enough to get the juices flowing and add Splenda.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    I started at 177 aiming for 140 and it took me 9 months to get there. It was VERY hard in the beginning because I felt like I was hungry all the time.

My advice (which you may already do) would be to get a kitchen scale if you don't have one already and WEIGH EVERYTHING. I use mine daily. If a serving of oats is 40g, I weigh out 40g and know that I am being as accurate as possible when it comes to my diary. It's very hard to estimate portion sizes when you're first starting out. While a little extra lettuce doesn't hurt, a little extra cheese or a handful of peanuts can totally mess up your calorie deficit for the day.
  • So, you're saying to stay away from cheese and peanuts? I don't eat either right now but I want to make sure I'm understanding. What else did you do? Sounds like we had the same goals and since you've reached yours, I can use all the help you want to give. What other types of meals did you find helpful?? And, also...berries are great snacks. Actually, I had a bowl of strawberries this morning. I just eat them plan, without the artificial sweetner. I'm a fruit fanatic!
This discussion has been closed.