Eat sushi again!

Options
Recently I posted asking how you count sushi. I was surprised to see that many people recommend I stay away from sushi while in the weight loss phase due to its high calorie content. I am honestly more concerned about the carbs in the rice; as I don't get "crunchy", "tempera", or cream cheese sushi.

However, today I went out fully planning on getting sashimi, but in talking to the server, found out that any roll on their menu is available wrapped in cucumber (no rice)!

I was so happy! I got a roll with just some tuna and crab. It was wonderful w/o the rice! Very refreshing and light. For those of you that can't imagine that, our server also said you can request lite rice (about 1/2 the amount of rice).

While I won't do it all the time, and never with tempura, etc., I've found a great way to still enjoy sushi rolls!

Replies

• Miles_to_Go
    Miles_to_Go Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I still eat sushi, rolls, etc. occasionally, but it's good to hear there are lower-carb versions. This sounds tasty, I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for sharing.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    naruto rolls are what you refer to the ones wrapped in cucumber - great way to save carbs :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I probably would have just ordered the sashimi with a side of cucumber. :D
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up my simple sushi - it's the one treat I allow myself... and since I stick to my calorie goal still - I never had problems losing weight while eating sushi with rice. :)
  • mom2wessarah
    mom2wessarah Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I probably would have just ordered the sashimi with a side of cucumber. :D

Well Alluminati, there was only one sashimi meal on the menu and it was $26! :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I actually love Wegmans 'skinny rolls'. Just wrapped in rice paper so it's 170 calories a roll.

skinny_sushi.jpg

Cucumber sounds great though! I'd totally try it.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    OP,

I'm just curious, for the next 2, 3 meals after the sushi meal do you (still) have to eat normal/heavy as all the other days? Do you have exercises in your week?

Again, that's just my curiosity.

Last Sunday I enjoyed with my family at a steakhouse. I ate everything, side dishes, appetizers, butter cake dessert and a 33 oz steak and not a worry about calories or modification to the foods. I just ate light the next 2, 3 meals as I should since that meal already gave me a lot of energy. That's my approach to losing weight and maintaining my full enjoyment at the same time.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Is there a bit concern with sushi I'm not aware of? If so, please do share as I love eating sushi!
    About twice a month I'll have it for lunch or dinner.

Typically something like the ITSU https://www.itsu.com/menus/sushi/health-and-happiness_uk8.html

I try to pre-log as much as possible, so I usually plan for it and keep at my identified calorie deficit.

Should I be avoiding it more?
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Sushi is not high in calories...

Now, some of the fusion type rolls that include deep fried or mayo sauces...well sure.

But simple nigiri is great for you. I still have it regularly.
  • Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I eat sushi at least once a week. It fits into my macros, and I've never found it to be high in calories (unless you get the tempura fried ones, of course!).
  • Francl27
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »

Now, some of the fusion type rolls that include deep fried or mayo sauces...well sure.

That rice is killer though. I mean, a California roll is typically around 350 calories and doesn't fill me up AT ALL.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I actually love Wegmans 'skinny rolls'. Just wrapped in rice paper so it's 170 calories a roll.

skinny_sushi.jpg

Cucumber sounds great though! I'd totally try it.

*Drool* Damn these look so good. Wish there was a Wegmans was closer to me :(

I usually order basic rolls which aren't too high in calories but its great to know places would accommodate things like lighter rice or wrapped in cucumber.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »

That rice is killer though. I mean, a California roll is typically around 350 calories and doesn't fill me up AT ALL.
    Most I've seen though have avocado in it. Not that it's bad since it provides good fat for you, but avocado is a decent part of that calorie count.
    Personally I just set aside a decent calorie count for sushi each week. Luckily for me that's at least 1000.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mom2wessarah
    mom2wessarah Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    OP,

I'm just curious, for the next 2, 3 meals after the sushi meal do you (still) have to eat normal/heavy as all the other days? Do you have exercises in your week?

Last Sunday I enjoyed with my family at a steakhouse. I ate everything, side dishes, appetizers, butter cake dessert and a 33 oz steak and not a worry about calories or modification to the foods. I just ate light the next 2, 3 meals as I should since that meal already gave me a lot of energy. That's my approach to losing weight and maintaining my full enjoyment at the same time.

Endlessfall16 -- well, I log all my meals and calories, so once I figure out how many calories/carbs/fat I've eaten with the sushi, I just figure out what's left for the rest of the day to stay in my counts.

Personally, I feel like if I have a binge (or a big, traditional American meal as you describe), it knocks me off healthy/watching my CICO and I gain weight. That's me. I'm an certainly not one to preach any type of eating method (diet).

LazyButHealthy, I didn't think sushi was bad in calories either, but in a previous post, several people commented that it is. Besides the rice, I think they were referencing the fried kind or rolls with cream cheese and lots of mayo.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Love the rolls wrapped in cucumber! I actually prefer that to the rice.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    OP,

Endlessfall16 -- well, I log all my meals and calories, so once I figure out how many calories/carbs/fat I've eaten with the sushi, I just figure out what's left for the rest of the day to stay in my counts.

Personally, I feel like if I have a binge (or a big, traditional American meal as you describe), it knocks me off healthy/watching my CICO and I gain weight. That's me. I'm an certainly not one to preach any type of eating method (diet).

LazyButHealthy, I didn't think sushi was bad in calories either, but in a previous post, several people commented that it is. Besides the rice, I think they were referencing the fried kind or rolls with cream cheese and lots of mayo.

Sometimes, I think some folks just feel a need to demonize certain foods. It should certainly be possible to fit sushi into a healthy (deficit) way of eating now and then, and still get solid nutrition.

Personally, I love the edamame appetizer, and find it (1) pretty filling, (2) not excessively caloric if steamed & not buttered, and (3) slow to eat, which helps with satiation. Salt could be a problem, but I love that too much to ask them to leave it off. I can fit one of the lighter maki plus steamed edamame into a deficit day, and still come out OK by eating more lightly at other meals.
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Another sushi disclaimer people - don't forget to log your soy sauce and wasabi in too - they add up to be a lot of sodium and quite a few calories too! :)

May be obvious, but just found out my sister never logs those
  • Francl27
    Options
    jen_bush wrote: »
    Another sushi disclaimer people - don't forget to log your soy sauce and wasabi in too - they add up to be a lot of sodium and quite a few calories too! :)

Guilty, I don't use wasabi but I use soy sauce, but it's what, 10 calories a tbsp? I don't really use more than that.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options

Guilty, I don't use wasabi but I use soy sauce, but it's what, 10 calories a tbsp? I don't really use more than that.

Wasabi's not much more caloric than that, either. 2-20 cal/tsp depending on which database entry you believe, and few of us eat it by the cup-ful. Not that I'd skip logging it, though.

The sodium in the soy sauce is a whole different question, though, especially if sodium is of concern to someone.
  • Francl27
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Wasabi's not much more caloric than that, either. 2-20 cal/tsp depending on which database entry you believe, and few of us eat it by the cup-ful. Not that I'd skip logging it, though.

The sodium in the soy sauce is a whole different question, though, especially if sodium is of concern to someone.

True, I just never consider sodium as I don't track it.