Mexican restaurants

Options

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I get a steak fajita without the tortillaS or condiments because I'd rather save some Calories for a beer or sangria with my meal and because it's not really my favorite food any way.
    But if you have a favorite, you could always eat half (like a meal that is about 1000-1600 calories could be split for sure)

If it's a chain restaurant you can look up the calories online ahead of time to
    Decide. If it's not a chain, use a chain site (like chillis). It won't be exactly precise but similar enough to estimate the calories.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Avoid re-fried beans.
    A place I heard of mixes them with LARD to make them taste good.
    * Restaurants do not give a **** about your health.

Don't be afraid of fats! Eating fat does not make you fat.

But I do agree that restaurants do not give 2 ****s about your health

As long as they aren't feeding you spoiled food or rat poison, it's not their responsibility. They are supposed to make good tasting food and make money.

The best way to keep things reasonable at a restaurant of any type is to watch your portion size. Don't eat it all, take half home, etc.
  • skirtgirl95
    skirtgirl95 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! You all are awesome!
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I get steak fajitas, skip the beans, rice and tortillas but keep the cheese, sour cream and guacamole.

This is what I do also
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Second the carne asada, or some enchiladas!! Nom, Nom

And I would never skip the rice and beans........

Just watch your portions!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Second the carne asada, or some enchiladas!! Nom, Nom

And I would never skip the rice and beans........

Just watch your portions!

Let's be fair... One cup of beans and one cup of rice would pretty much be enough calories for a whole meal for most people with a 1600 calories diet. And I don't think it's such a crazy unreasonable portion either... But I suppose they could have one tablespoon of each and still have the calories for something else... but at some point 'watching your portions' is just ridiculous and you're just better off skipping it altogether, lol.

I only eat out at lunch nowadays, that way I can have 1400 calories if I want to and skip dinner.. because I have no interest of spending money eating out if I'm going to eat something I could make at home easily for 1) less money, 2) less calories.

So bottom line... make room for it and enjoy what you want.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you're getting your numbers...

From several sites I checked:
    Sides
    If you are ordering a “meal” you will probably have the option of several sides. Typical side items may include:
    1 cup Mexican Rice 160-210 calories
    ½ cup refried beans 140 calories

• Francl27
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I don't know where you're getting your numbers...

From several sites I checked:
    Sides
    If you are ordering a “meal” you will probably have the option of several sides. Typical side items may include:
    1 cup Mexican Rice 160-210 calories
    ½ cup refried beans 140 calories

That's extremely optimistic, lol. Even then, it's still 300 calories of sides. Even if your chicken fajitas are only 350 calories, that makes your meal 650 calories. I can fit that easily, mind you, but I'm sure most of the '1200 calories' MFPers can't.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    My family goes to Pepe's on a regular basis. I always order grilled chicken crispy tacos (190 calories each) and skip the sides. I also allow myself maybe 5 of the chips+salsa. It's way too easy to go nuts on the chips.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    People really have been scared blind of LARD. It's kind of funny given how many of those people would happily snack on bacon and/or use bacon grease in cooking. As several people have pointed out above, lard is traditional for use in refrieds, tortillas, and plenty of other yummy Mexican foods. (get ready to have your mind blown--it's also often used in super-flaky pie crusts and biscuits).

OP, I would also consider albondigas soup, ceviche, and of course, portioning is king. I would rather have a single yummy taco in a good tortilla and a big salad, myself. I also will get a lunch portion (even if it's dinnertime) and split it in half, taking the other half home.

Lard is the bomb. Having said that, most restaurants that make homemade tortillas do not skimp on the lard at all, which makes tortillas a bad choice. I worked in a mexican restaurant for years and if we ran out of the homemade we could pull the sysco out of the back... diners always complained that they were stale, dry or hard. We'd laugh our *kitten* off in the back kitchen- they weren't stale, they just didn't have 2 tablespoons of lard in the dough + what we put on the press!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Fajitas, unfried stuffed poblano, chiken mole, carne asada. Skip the rice and beans and go light on the cheese.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    MaGrl523 wrote: »
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    Avoid re-fried beans.
    A place I heard of mixes them with LARD to make them taste good.
    * Restaurants do not give a **** about your health.

That's how they are traditionally made...

I usually get some sort of fajita without tortillas, rice, beans or any cheese,sauce or cream, a side of roasted vegetables and mix it all together with salsa.

So basically get grilled chicken with peppers and onions. :| Live a little and cut back on your other meals for the day. I do agree with cutting out the tortilla but get the guac and cheese.

I live a lot! Guacamole and cheese just aren't so important in my life.
  • LynnOBrien2015
    LynnOBrien2015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I get the ceviche or shrimp cocktail so yummy
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    All of these suggestions are bogus. What is the point of recommending a chicken fajita for example if it is the size of a mountain?
  • Francl27
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    All of these suggestions are bogus. What is the point of recommending a chicken fajita for example if it is the size of a mountain?

Well you don't have to eat the whole thing.

The main issue though is the amount of oil it's cooked in.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Point missed I think.....
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I like to get fish tacos with the chipotle mayo on the side. The tacos are double wrapped in tortillas and I only eat 2 instead of all 4. I skip the rice and beans and ask for sliced avocado instead. I usually have 5 or 6 tortilla chips with salsa. Usually I'm under 600 calories. Yum!
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Order tacos "al carbon" on corn tortillas. (Grilled meat, chicken or shrimp)
    Add salsa, and veggies. Done. :wink:
  • eldamiano
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Point missed I think.....

Pretty sure it wasn't. You don't have to eat all the food that's placed in front of you.

Point missed again. To be clear, portion size is obviously more important than the content....
  • Francl27
    Options
    Totally confused about what your point was supposed to be.