i need a little advice

Options
Back in 2011 after the birth of my daughter I weighed in at 120 at 5'4.
Something tragic happened shortly after and I picked up a nasty habbit of eating to fill a void. Today I weigh 197.7 pounds. And I just don't feel good about my self. I've started exercising and I cut some really bad eating habits out.
I need some advice on what I can do to lose weight.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your calories?
  • Enriky
    Enriky Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    in any good diet to reduce fat or reduce weight combined with exercise program you will see the result after 6 week. Cut calories. I recommend take your measures every week and your weight every day. (weight, neck, forearm, wrist, belly, hips). use this link to check your calores and see your progress
    http://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    The best thing I found is to buy a food scale, weigh everything and log everything. Good days, bad days, everything! This creates some self-awareness of what you are doing and why. You can then begin to make other small changes based on what you learn.

Good luck!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Here are some rules I abide by...

Maintain a reasonable calorie deficit.
    Don't label foods as "bad" or "good" - eat what you want as long as it fits your calories.
    Weigh your food (don't use cups, spoons or "eyeball").
    Make sure you are logging correct entries (avoid generic or "homemade").
    Drink water.
    Exercise.
    Have patience. You didn't gain it all in a week so don't expect to lose it rapidly. Slow weight loss is best.

Hope this helps and best to you on your journey!
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you have to eat less calories than you burn. It sounds like you need to start thinking of food as fuel for your body rather than something to fill an emotional void. I know for myself, having goals (both short term and long term) and being busy helps with some of my bored eating. It is a matter of figuring out what works for you. Remember this may take a bit to figure out as you have developed these current habits over time and it will take some time to break habits and create new ones. Be patient (and kind) with yourself, but remain focused on what you want most.
  • breannarobertson23
    breannarobertson23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you guise the advice is helping me see what's out there!
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    The best thing I found is to buy a food scale, weigh everything and log everything. Good days, bad days, everything! This creates some self-awareness of what you are doing and why. You can then begin to make other small changes based on what you learn.

Good luck!

Nailed it.
    I also found that on my "cheat days" I don't do as badly when I'm logging everything on the MFP app than when I wasn't.
  • breannarobertson23
    breannarobertson23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What do y'all suggest I started out for calorie intake?
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    In your 'goals' section you can tell MFP that you want to lose weight and how quickly you want to lose it. I'd start at .5-1 lb per week especially at first so that you don't have to cut your calories so drastically:) Once you enter that information MFP will give you a calorie allotment each day to eat. When you enter exercise you can eat back some of those calories as well:) I always log mine and only eat then if I get extra hungry some days:) You can friend me if you want and look at my food diary, but it's super boring because I'm a creature of habit and eat the same things almost all the time..lol
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    MFP will tell you your calorie intake. I set mine to lose 1lb/week based on my weight and height and mine is 1280/day. Yours will be different.
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    All good advice here, but it's also important to address the issue that got you to where you are--the nasty habit of eating to fill a void. I've struggled with emotional eating myself and it's tough--you can do everything right 90% of the time but it's easy to get derailed by going overboard on that other 10%. My first steps were to find substitutes for and/or limit portion sizes of my go-to comfort foods and find non-food ways to treat/comfort myself.