Sweet potatoes

Options
Any suggestions on a substitute for sweet potatoes for my evening meal? I usually have a lean meat or fish with veg and the sweet potatoes cut into wedges done in oven
........now using MFP I see they are not as healthy as I first thought .

Thank you in advance

Replies

• svkalra
    svkalra Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did asparagus one week as a side item and green beans another week. Both had good macros and tasted amazing. Just heat these items in a pan and let it come to a boil, then drain out the water, add some low sodium soysauce and very little extra virgin olive oil. Takes about 10 to 15 mins to make for the whole week. Also carrots are great as well.
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Just boil them ... But quinoa, brown rice, black rice, squash spaghetti ... I'm not sure what you mean by not that heathy sweet potato alone are a great carb
  • tammiewelsh1
    tammiewelsh1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Smileymaxine I should have said side by side sweet potato/ regular potatoe. Kcal wise.
  • tammiewelsh1
    Options
    svkalra wrote: »
    I did asparagus one week as a side item and green beans another week. Both had good macros and tasted amazing. Just heat these items in a pan and let it come to a boil, then drain out the water, add some low sodium soysauce and very little extra virgin olive oil. Takes about 10 to 15 mins to make for the whole week. Also carrots are great as well.

Thanks will give it a go
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    A calorie-dense food can still be really healthy -- I would consider both potatoes and sweet potatoes to be healthy.

But if you want lower calorie sides, try just about any green vegetable. I love to roast broccoli or brussels sprouts and you can eat a ton of those for pretty low calories.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Why the hate on the sweet potato? It's plenty healthy, and I don't find it very calorie dense.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Smileymaxine I should have said side by side sweet potato/ regular potatoe. Kcal wise.

calories have jack to do with how nutritious a food is...both potatoes and sweet potatoes are highly nutritious foods.

This.

If you want something lower cal for a starchy side, however, to go along with protein and veg, I'd recommend winter squash or other root veg like carrots, turnips, parsnips, beets.

I eat them, but I also still eat plenty of potatoes and sweet potatoes.
  • tammiewelsh1
    Options
    Why the hate on the sweet potato? It's plenty healthy, and I don't find it very calorie dense.

No hate lol. Just new to calorie counting and i was surprised that's all
  • tammiewelsh1
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

calories have jack to do with how nutritious a food is...both potatoes and sweet potatoes are highly nutritious foods.

This.

If you want something lower cal for a starchy side, however, to go along with protein and veg, I'd recommend winter squash or other root veg like carrots, turnips, parsnips, beets.

I eat them, but I also still eat plenty of potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Yeah I guess that's what I'm looking for a starchy side. Thank you
    I have followed weight watcgers or slimming world all of the times I have been on a weight loss journey .. so calorie counting has been a real aye opener :) thank you for taking the time out to help me
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Don't substitute, but reduce the amount that you eat, and supplement with a big leafy green salad. I started doing this and its really filled me up!

A sweet potato with a little butter and salt is delicious with dinner. Love the sweet/salty combo!
  • tammiewelsh1
    Options
    Don't substitute, but reduce the amount that you eat, and supplement with a big leafy green salad. I started doing this and its really filled me up!

A sweet potato with a little butter and salt is delicious with dinner. Love the sweet/salty combo!

Yeah I tried that tonight. I had 130g of sweet potato and 200g of broccoli
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I eat sweet potatoes as often as I remember to buy them. Never really thought they were too high calorie. Really good source of potassium as well, which can help compensate for sodium in your diet. I think that's the main reason I eat potatoes and sweet potatoes.. potassium. Lot of carbs, yes, but I try and watch the carbs in everything else so I can have them.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I like to buy small sweet potatoes so that I can easily fit them into my day. I hate sweet potato fries :s but love a baked sweet potato with something spicy as a topping. A small one (weighed) really isn't bad on calories at all.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Just remember 100g of sweet potato has 283% of vitamin A so don't take multivitamins or other vitamins containing vitamin A when eating sweet potato. I was having around 400% of vitamin A and it can be damaging after a while.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for lower calorie alternatives? I mainly stick to protein and a veggie side and leave the starches for my boyfriend. Or, you could eat a smaller portion? Try riced or mashed cauliflower if you're looking for a side that "appears" more starchy-potato like. Zoodles too!
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I would say cabbage. It is one of my other foods that has been sneaking up on me these past few weeks.
  • tammiewelsh1
    Options
    Just remember 100g of sweet potato has 283% of vitamin A so don't take multivitamins or other vitamins containing vitamin A when eating sweet potato. I was having around 400% of vitamin A and it can be damaging after a while.

Interesting!!!! I'm breastfeeding my 10 month old so I take a post natal .....will look to see how much vitamin A they have
  • tammiewelsh1
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    If you're looking for lower calorie alternatives? I mainly stick to protein and a veggie side and leave the starches for my boyfriend. Or, you could eat a smaller portion? Try riced or mashed cauliflower if you're looking for a side that "appears" more starchy-potato like. Zoodles too!

We tried cauliflower as rice with an Indian dish it was so yummy. Zoodles? I have had courgetti! It's 1 of my faves.
  • tammiewelsh1
    Options
    I like to buy small sweet potatoes so that I can easily fit them into my day. I hate sweet potato fries :s but love a baked sweet potato with something spicy as a topping. A small one (weighed) really isn't bad on calories at all.

I much prefer wedges to fries