Strength Training at home?

Options
Hi, does anyone do strength training at home? I can't really afford to pay for the gym, but I would like to start doing strength training along with cardio and I'd love any advice if anyone has it?

I have over 100lbs to lose, but as I don't have a car I walk and I do around 10-12k steps each day. I'm relatively flexible, etc but I've only ever done weights at a gym many years ago so I don't really know where to start at home?

Thanks in advance, all suggestions/ideas are welcome! :)

Replies

• flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises are great. You can start there as you are dropping weight. Bodybuilding.com has some great body weight plans. You can get an awesome workout just using your own body and strength.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Nerd fitness is an awesome site for workout resources.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Check out fitnessblender.com, the town I live in has no gym, I've been using them and their programs for 8 months and have really changed and started to shape my body. I can't recommend them enough!
  • tigernikki
    tigernikki Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Check out fitnessblender.com, the town I live in has no gym, I've been using them and their programs for 8 months and have really changed and started to shape my body. I can't recommend them enough!

I second that. I've been using fitnessblender for about 3 years now, on and off. I love strength training because of them.

• I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    As some one who has used the gym for a while now I was much less motivated when I did it at home.. Personally the bench and dumbbells I bought were a waste of money .. So it really depends on how motivated you feel about working out at home
  • korrika
    korrika Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of videos on youtube that can be followed using only your own body weight or hand weights. I'm doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred right now using 5lb and 10lb weights. I also have a 25lb kettle bell that I do swings with. I just completed 10 weeks with a personal trainer, dropped 3% body fat and Jillian is still kicking my butt!
  • ScotsLass78
    ScotsLass78 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks so much for your responses!
    I'm quite motivated to work out at home as it fits in better with my lifestyle.
    I'll definitely check out these websites! :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I used this programme for 3 years. Went from weak as a kitten ( not the new word replacement 'kitten' >:) ) not able to complete a single push up, to adding challenges to each move. Although I now lift using AllPro, I still use Nerdfitness as my travel workout. I love its simplicity.

Cheers, h.
    Edit: this is also a great little routine for a beginner at home. If you have to take notes and take it a bit slower to begin with that is fine.
    With all programmes do what you can at your speed and work towards being able to complete it as shown/written. I always have to.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness is a great resource!!!! Also, I just joined Planet Fitness for $10 per month - I'm not sure if that is an option for you, but I'm really liking it!
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I strength train at home using Cathe Friedrich dvds. She's tough, but I find her instruction and personality better than Jillian Michaels. She also has step, plyometric, hiit, and other cardio dvds.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm not sure what your starting weight is but have you looked at the Beachbody products by Tony Horton. He has cardio strength training yoga and stretching incorporated into the DVD programs.

I started with his 10 minute trainer which is a great intro course moved up to the P90 the old version then did P90x and now I'm doing the revised version of P90.

He has a simple philosophy in the DVDs do your best and forget the rest they have a lot of modification moves. So you don't have any excuse just to give you a little background bone-on-bone arthritis in my left knee, double hip replacement. I swear by the program's love them good luck in your journey. I did some of the workouts before I had the surgery others after.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    http://pin.it/y5i0FyP
    I thought you'd like this Board on Pinterest...

You can gear up to a body weight push-up by pushing yourself off the wall. Increase your angle as you get stronger.

Soup cans.

Get yourself resistance bands.

https://www.fitstream.com/fitness-equipment/resistance-bands/
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I invested in a set of adjustable weights and use fitness blender videos on YouTube! They are great. I wish I had bought a slightly more expensive/nicer set in retrospect but I didn't realize at the time how much I would use them.

• annamaple
    annamaple Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nike Training Club!
  • ScotsLass78
    Options
    Thanks again everyone...these tips/websites/DVD's are great and I'm really looking forward to making a start on my strength training! :smile:
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    also check out darebee.com for bodyweight and cardio
  • ScotsLass78
    Options
    Thanks, I will do! :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yes me me me! :smiley: and I've had great results, I follow Fitness Blender/Hasfit and Jessica Smith workouts. Now I know proper form I have my own 20 minute lifting routine which I do 3 times a week. :smile: I feel greattttt :smiley:
  • laney4818
    laney4818 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I used this programme for 3 years. Went from weak as a kitten ( not the new word replacement 'kitten' >:) ) not able to complete a single push up, to adding challenges to each move. Although I now lift using AllPro, I still use Nerdfitness as my travel workout. I love its simplicity.

Cheers, h.
    Edit: this is also a great little routine for a beginner at home. If you have to take notes and take it a bit slower to begin with that is fine.
    With all programmes do what you can at your speed and work towards being able to complete it as shown/written. I always have to.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Just tried this workout. I really liked it! Thanks for sharing!