Fitting Exercise into the Budget and keeping it going!! (P90

Options
My wife Michelle and myself might have to make a change in the upcoming months. We belong to a gym the cost us about 75-80 bucks a month, but with student loan payments, child care...well you know how it goes we might need that money for something else...like food and gas ( important things). I have seen so much success with P90X I think it might be the route we take.
Both us us have come to far to and I know we can always run etc.. but sometimes things can keep you from that as well.

I am excited to get going and I think I will have to get an HRM so I can track what I burn during those workouts.
I hope P90X is the answer because we need one.

Any thoughts on an inexpensive way to set this up?
Any help would be great!!??

Replies

• Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I know some people really don't like Planet Fitness, but it's a lot cheaper than any other gym, and honestly, P90X isn't that cheap either (plus there's really nothing special about it. Any good workout routine done consistently will yield results).
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    P90X is definitely cheaper than a gym membership and will get you to where you want to go faster!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    p90x was a huge catalyst for change for me.. the only equipment i've used is resistance bands, and if you go that route please buy some quality ones, cheaper ones will snap and dont offer good resistance, but the quality ones work about as good as weights. best thing is i was able to fit it in my schedule . if you go with it you will need weights, a pull up bar/station or you can just use resistance bands, if you use the bands for the pull ups you'll need a door strap for the bands too. and def get a quality hrm. good luck!
  • Aireyma
    Aireyma Posts: 55
    Options
    this is totally un-p90x but we went and bought an elliptical machine since we cant afford the gym membership. we found it cheaper and easier to spend the 300 at once...rather than the gym membership. if you're not sold on the p90x... it's something worth looking to! you can watch whatever you want on the TV!!!!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    There are tons of exercise videos on Amazon.com. There right ranges for all budgets. I have bought most of mine there.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    check out craigslist or local ads for cheap or free exercise stuff.
  • dee_sea_tea
    dee_sea_tea Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You DO NOT need a HRM to do the program. My husband and I did it last year and as long as you eat sensibly (we followed their meal plan) and do the workouts (6-7 days a week 1-2 hours a day) you will see great results.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said - you can buy P90X and some good bands and be good with that. I am in week 5 and LOVE IT. I have a pull up bar ($30 at Target) but loop the band around it for pull up simulation. I need to lose weight before I think I can lift myself up like that!
  • Angila
    Angila Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Find a friend that already has P90x and burn it thats what my boyfriend did.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    this is totally un-p90x but we went and bought an elliptical machine since we cant afford the gym membership. we found it cheaper and easier to spend the 300 at once...rather than the gym membership. if you're not sold on the p90x... it's something worth looking to! you can watch whatever you want on the TV!!!!

An elliptical machine is great for cardio, but getting and being physically fit involves strength training as well.
    I personally love P90X (completed 1 round and now am doing Insanity)...definitely worth the $$ and it is a COMPLETE workout...strength, cardio, and flexibility.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I will agree with the "pro-P90X" replies here...P90X literally has changed my life...I am on round 2 and I see myself doing this program off and on for life!

I will add that you should spend the extra money and get a THICK yoga mat so you can also do Plyometrics with it and get a Yoga block. Also, you can do P90X without an HRM, but I recommend getting one...There are no P90X workouts loaded in MFP's database, you will be making a guestimate. Guess work leads to overeating or undereating exercise calories..

Also, do the right thing and buy P90X from BeachBody.com or a BeachBody Coach...burning disks is as bad as sticking the DVDs under your shirt and walking out of a store...IMO. Plus you can get full DVD replacement for a mere $9.
  • blm625
    blm625 Posts: 33
    Options
    There is a really good thread on here at:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/264419-take-it-from-an-ex-marine-your-bodys-the-best-tool-for-your

you don't need to spend money or go to a gym to be in great shape!!

Also you can allways google work out idea's and plans there stuff on here for free.
    If you have a Netflix account you can get work outs online.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I go to planet fitness as well -- if you know what you are doing you can get a great workout there and it's cheap -- do the black card and you and your wife can go together for 20bucks a month.

Get a book on working out and you are set!

Also, I do a lot of groupon deals -- just did one for 10 sessions of kickboxing for like 30bucks and I am doing a unlimited month of crossfit for 45bucks.
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    That's the exact reason why my husband and I decided to try P90X too. It is SO much less expensive than a gym membership!! Not only that, but we both love it, and it's something that we can do together in our own home. I know how hard it is having kids and expenses, but also wanting to take care of yourself at the same time!

You will not regret your decision!
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Supreme 90, $20 bucks at Collage fitness videos. Ten dvd's.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I used to do Amazon until I found Collage. You can view a sample of every workout they offer which is just about everything. I didn't see any Beachbody ones though.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the contrarian here. But My wife and I lost the majority of our weight without a gym membership, and without any special equipment beyond what you can find on the internet for free.

The outdoors provides plenty of space, and your own body provides plenty of weight.

The only thing I think you really need? Food scale.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the contrarian here. But My wife and I lost the majority of our weight without a gym membership, and without any special equipment beyond what you can find on the internet for free.

The outdoors provides plenty of space, and your own body provides plenty of weight.

Agreed. If you want a gym membership, I recommend Planet Fitness as it is loads cheaper, than the others. Ebay has P90X for cheap prices, but if you are torrent savvy, you know what to do in order to save money on that. Whatever you do, just keep moving. Jealous of all the hills you have to go up and down on in KY.

E
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Agreed. If you want a gym membership, I recommend Planet Fitness as it is loads cheaper, than the others. Ebay has P90X for cheap prices, but if you are torrent savvy, you know what to do in order to save money on that. Whatever you do, just keep moving. Jealous of all the hills you have to go up and down on in KY.

E
  • JellyPrz619
    JellyPrz619 Posts: 172
    Options
    Well if my hubby shared the new "healthy lifestyle" im trying to achieve this is how i think we would do it..

he has p90x he bought back in the day, hes never done it but you will need to invest in a pull up bar and weights (i think)

i just bought insanity off craigslist ( for less than half of what it is worth) and its tons of cardio which is what i was looking for.

I always wanted to try running, but my toddler cant keep up lol so i would want to leave her with my hubby.. but for some reason he didnt think that was a great idea...
    right now shes 3 yrs and just started riding a bike... so once shes good at that, im hoping i can start jogging while shes next to me on her bike ;)

If your kid(s) are a little older, maybe you can all go to a park.. they can play in the playground while you guys play basketball/rub laps or something hehe