High blood pressure

Options

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i lowered my bp from stage to nice and low through diet and exercise - and then put the weight back on, along with the bp. working on getting it back down again now, and so far, so good. lowering sodium didn't make much difference, but i'm not a heavy sodium user so it's usually below 2000.
  • hologramsabc123
    hologramsabc123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i lowered my bp from stage to nice and low through diet and exercise - and then put the weight back on, along with the bp. working on getting it back down again now, and so far, so good. lowering sodium didn't make much difference, but i'm not a heavy sodium user so it's usually below 2000.

That's incredible! Keep it up. We always fall off but we can get back on!!!!

• momof4girls48
    momof4girls48 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had high blood pressure with my first pregnancy and 2-3 cloves of garlic in soup or garlic bread or 2 garlic pills helped a lot. Exercise it great for it, also. If you say you do not have time go to YOUTUBE and look for POPSUGAR 10 minute workouts. I love these and so do my teen girls.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    Hey everyone

So I've recently been told I have stage 1 high blood pressure. (140/90). I've always been 130/80 up until this year. I work a lot of hours and gained about 20 lbs in the last year which is a lot. My goal is to lose about 50 and lower my sodium intake as well as work out a lot more.

I refuse to take meds. Has anyone been able to lower their blood pressure naturally? My only worry is losing weight/on a path to a healthy life won't make a difference. There is no history of heart disease in my family besides my uncle dying from a heart attack (he was an alcoholic and heavy smoker) and my father had high blood pressure but he has it under control (also an alcoholic).

I have some anxiety over this and just needed some support/people who can relate.

Thanks!

For what it's worth, until you can really commit to lifestyle changes, I wouldn't rule out medications, if it doesn't go down soon I'd suggest you reconsider. I work in an ICU and I have seen multiple youngish people (30s) that don't take their meds, don't change their lifestyle and end up with brain bleeds as their hypertension gets uncontrolled. Be careful with taking cold medications as well as they can raise your blood pressure significantly for a short time and we see that as a contributing factor pretty frequently.

Edit: and I just read your comment that you'd rather have a stroke or heart attack?! Are you being serious?! I see people with these every day and yikes, I've certainly never heard anyone say they want that to happen to them...

I have to agree with hekla90. I am a nurse and believe me, you would not rather have a stroke or heart attack. Imagine not being able to speak, understand your loved ones, walk, feed yourself or wipe your own butt ever again. Pull up your big girl panties while you still can and take the meds until/unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes, I lowered my blood pressure through weight loss alone no medications (except for hibiscus tea) from 150/100 to 110/75, but I've lost a lot of weight and quit smoking so your results may be different. I did not have to lower sodium as my blood pressure is not salt sensitive.
  • hologramsabc123
    Options
    The doc has not prescribed me meds yet. I am seeing him on Wednesday. Based on my results however I don't think he is going to jump to prescribing me meds right away considering my history. I am borderline right now. I don't think meds are always the answer to everything. I think learning to change your life first is better - and if things don't work out at the very worst take the meds.

And considering the percentage of people responding to this post having lowered their blood pressure naturally is higher ,compared to those who needed meds - well there is my answer.

Amusedmonk I am going to try hibiscus tea. Ive heard a lot about it. How do you know whether or not your blood pressure is not salt sensitive? Again - I haven't been given the official diagnosis yet - saw my doc over a month ago last and it read 130/90 at the time. Been monitoring it since and its gone from 130-140/85-90. So we will see what my doc says this week.

• amusedmonkey
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The doc has not prescribed me meds yet. I am seeing him on Wednesday. Based on my results however I don't think he is going to jump to prescribing me meds right away considering my history. I am borderline right now. I don't think meds are always the answer to everything. I think learning to change your life first is better - and if things don't work out at the very worst take the meds.

And considering the percentage of people responding to this post having lowered their blood pressure naturally is higher ,compared to those who needed meds - well there is my answer.

Amusedmonk I am going to try hibiscus tea. Ive heard a lot about it. How do you know whether or not your blood pressure is not salt sensitive? Again - I haven't been given the official diagnosis yet - saw my doc over a month ago last and it read 130/90 at the time. Been monitoring it since and its gone from 130-140/85-90. So we will see what my doc says this week.

Because throughout my quest to lower my blood pressure I went with the most common thing people do, considerably lowered my sodium. There was zero change after 2 months. The doctor told me some people are not sensitive to salt and that it's likely the case for me. Went back to my regular sodium intake, no change, so it was confirmed.

My doctor is the kind that would first ask if I have what it takes to change a few things before prescribing meds if the numbers are not too serious and if improvement can be achieved quickly. So he did not put me on any medication for blood pressure or pre diabetes since I was morbidly obese and losing weight would have likely improved both (and it did). He told me to drink 2-3 cups of hibiscus tea a day, and since we have a hibiscus tree, it was easy (and tasty), so I did just that.

I can't tell you if the hibiscus had any effect on my blood pressure, as my weight was dropping quickly and wasn't constant for an accurate comparison.

I also considerably increased my activity level, mainly the cardio type. I walk more than I did before and I took up running. The change in my blood pressure after 6 weeks of running exceeded my doctor's and my expectations.

Again, your results may vary considerably because I was in the super obese category (300+ pounds) and my issues were most likely caused by my obesity.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was on high blood pressure meds for a decade before significant weight loss brought it down enough to stop needing meds. Exercise reduced my heart rate but did nit significantly change my blood pressure.

I suggest testing your blood pressure yourself weekly to start understanding your highs and lows. Blood pressure swings all day.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I never had high blood pressure until my late 30's. I lost weight and was taken off of my medication. I do not eat a low sodium diet either.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I was just put on meds last week from a sudden and dramatic spike from low/normal to extremely high blood pressure in the past six months. It is very hereditary, but I also have ridiculously high anxiety.

I'm a "normal" BMI and I LOVE salt and alcohol, hardly drink liquids and I'm inconsistent with my workouts. I decided to stop drinking, cut down my salt, make a conscious effort to drink at least a few cups of water during the day/evening, increase my workouts to something sustainable, and get involved in some kind of meditation or yoga to manage my stress.

I'd love to not be on meds, but I'm taking them now along with making the above life changes that I hope will get me off of them and keep me off of them. I just don't want to take the risk of having a stroke or heart attack in the meantime.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    I was just put on meds last week from a sudden and dramatic spike from low/normal to extremely high blood pressure in the past six months. It is very hereditary, but I also have ridiculously high anxiety.

I'm a "normal" BMI and I LOVE salt and alcohol, hardly drink liquids and I'm inconsistent with my workouts. I decided to stop drinking, cut down my salt, make a conscious effort to drink at least a few cups of water during the day/evening, increase my workouts to something sustainable, and get involved in some kind of meditation or yoga to manage my stress.

I'd love to not be on meds, but I'm taking them now along with making the above life changes that I hope will get me off of them and keep me off of them. I just don't want to take the risk of having a stroke or heart attack in the meantime.

I've read somewhere that movement throughout the day is more important for blood pressure than doing your exercise session and you're done. Basically, breaking a 30 minute workout into 10 minute sessions spread across the day keeps the beneficial effect around, as it's temporary and needs to be constantly reinforced. Just walking a couple of minutes every hour is good enough. So don't worry if you can't significantly increase your workouts unless you are doing it for a certain fitness goal.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    @amusedmonkey, absolutely! Walking a bit more and being active as a lifestyle instead of going hard with my running and lifting and then crashing and burning. I've been doing that for 15 years and it hasn't worked yet!

Instead I want to just incorporate more movement and activity so that it's sustainable to me.
  • hologramsabc123
    Options

Because throughout my quest to lower my blood pressure I went with the most common thing people do, considerably lowered my sodium. There was zero change after 2 months. The doctor told me some people are not sensitive to salt and that it's likely the case for me. Went back to my regular sodium intake, no change, so it was confirmed.

My doctor is the kind that would first ask if I have what it takes to change a few things before prescribing meds if the numbers are not too serious and if improvement can be achieved quickly. So he did not put me on any medication for blood pressure or pre diabetes since I was morbidly obese and losing weight would have likely improved both (and it did). He told me to drink 2-3 cups of hibiscus tea a day, and since we have a hibiscus tree, it was easy (and tasty), so I did just that.

I can't tell you if the hibiscus had any effect on my blood pressure, as my weight was dropping quickly and wasn't constant for an accurate comparison.

I also considerably increased my activity level, mainly the cardio type. I walk more than I did before and I took up running. The change in my blood pressure after 6 weeks of running exceeded my doctor's and my expectations.

Again, your results may vary considerably because I was in the super obese category (300+ pounds) and my issues were most likely caused by my obesity.

WOW! INTERESTING! Okay well I guess its just a matter of monitoring with my doc to see whats up. Your doctor sounds awesome. I am considered obese according to the BMI charts but at my thinnest I was too thin for my body/bone structure but at the proper weight according to BMI. I didnt have as much energy that size either. Its interesting. You are doing amazing, congrats!!!
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I was on high blood pressure meds for a decade before significant weight loss brought it down enough to stop needing meds. Exercise reduced my heart rate but did nit significantly change my blood pressure.

I suggest testing your blood pressure yourself weekly to start understanding your highs and lows. Blood pressure swings all day.

Another WOW! I actually have been testing my blood pressure every morning when I wake up. Havent tried testing it throughout the day. I might do that!
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I never had high blood pressure until my late 30's. I lost weight and was taken off of my medication. I do not eat a low sodium diet either.

Yeah same! I am in my mid thirties and here it is! I have an issue with Pizza. I don't eat fast food, junk food ...but pizza...I will have once a week maybe a whole medium to myself.

Yeah if the spike was scary I can understand why the docs were concerned and gave you meds however when I am at my worst with my anxiety (like I am now) thats when my blood pressure rises. The docs actually tested it out and wanted to see how my body would react on anti anxiety meds and they brought the blood pressure back to normal.

Good luck with everything I am sure itll work out! Ill add you as a friend. I too suffer with anxiety so we could support each other!
  • one1fast68
    one1fast68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have lowered mine through diet and exercise. I watch my sodium closely every day. I've heard that you can lower BP 5 points within 2 weeks by just adding 15min of brisk walking 4x to 5x per week.
  • putupurdukes
    putupurdukes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am not going to read through all the responses SO excuse me if I repeat - or if someone has spoken to OTHER side affects that I'm not thinking of. I've lost 70 lbs through diet, exercise and newer healthier habits involving stress management and more sleep. I'm sure that there are many that have lowered their blood pressure when it's a result of weight gain or diet; however, keep in mind genetics. 130/80 isn't exactly low to begin with. I wasn't thrilled to begin BP meds but instead of 145/90 avg, I take the beginning dose and in 3 1/2 years have never had to increase it. My blood pressure is now consistently 110/68-70. I think it's not just the meds but of course the lost pounds AND working out at least 5 times a week. I still consider that I might be able to come off the drug especially when I lose the additional 30-40 needed - but in the meantime, at least I know that I'm not likely to have a stroke. Don't compare taking the pills with being a failure. If you don't bring it down in a few months with the lifestyle change....talk with your physician. Good luck!
  • hologramsabc123
    Options
    one1fast68 wrote: »
    I have lowered mine through diet and exercise. I watch my sodium closely every day. I've heard that you can lower BP 5 points within 2 weeks by just adding 15min of brisk walking 4x to 5x per week.

Good for you!!!!!
    I am not going to read through all the responses SO excuse me if I repeat - or if someone has spoken to OTHER side affects that I'm not thinking of. I've lost 70 lbs through diet, exercise and newer healthier habits involving stress management and more sleep. I'm sure that there are many that have lowered their blood pressure when it's a result of weight gain or diet; however, keep in mind genetics. 130/80 isn't exactly low to begin with. I wasn't thrilled to begin BP meds but instead of 145/90 avg, I take the beginning dose and in 3 1/2 years have never had to increase it. My blood pressure is now consistently 110/68-70. I think it's not just the meds but of course the lost pounds AND working out at least 5 times a week. I still consider that I might be able to come off the drug especially when I lose the additional 30-40 needed - but in the meantime, at least I know that I'm not likely to have a stroke. Don't compare taking the pills with being a failure. If you don't bring it down in a few months with the lifestyle change....talk with your physician. Good luck!

Those are incredible numbers! Well Ive always been 130/80 - go for regular check ups and never had any doc tell me I was at a risk! They should have!!!

I don't see myself as a failure taking meds at all. Its the side effects that scare me most based on past experiences. I will take them if the docs insist however.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I take bp medication. At my doctor visit 3 weeks ago he told me to keep a check on it as I lost more weight. If the top number got below 110 or I started to feel dizzy light headed to contact him. He said it is a possibility as I continue to lose weight I might not need the medication anymore, since I only started taking it in my 40's after putting on weight.
  • weirdpurplepig
    weirdpurplepig Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 33 and was diagnosed with Hypertension 1 last February. I had my bp reach as high as 190/100 due to stress and anxiety and the fact that hypertension and high cholesterol runs in my family and I am also obese. I am currently taking BP meds and have generally controlled my BP to 120/80 on a good day... There are still some "bad days" where in my BP would spike up to as high as 150/90. Like you, I am actually stressed about by BP which in turn also causes my BP to spike up. (crazy, huh?) But right now, I am trying to lose weight. I 've already lost 18 lbs so far (I used to weigh 160lbs and I am only 4 feet 11inches tall/short. ) and have tried to exercise as much as 30minutes a day atleast 5 days a week. I'm currently struggling with losing more weight as I feel that I have reached a plateau. I've also cut down on my sodium intake. Reading this thread here has helped me a lot because I've always felt "alone" in my struggle with hypertension. My family and loved ones are really all supportive, but sometimes it's nice to hear someone who really understands the struggle as they have gone through it themselves. Your stories are all inspiring me to keep doing what I'm doing and have a positive outlook in life. :smile: Hopefully I lose the 20 more pounds I need to lose to finally reach my weight goal and maybe stabilize my BP soon. Cheers! :smiley:
  • laurenwilson60629
    laurenwilson60629 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Watching sodium and losing the weight WILL lower your BP. Mine was higher than yours 140's over 96. I wieghed 203 at 5ft 4 was drinking beer all the time and eating pizza, chinese, chips and put tons of salt on everything. Since January I cut the salt started using hot sauce for taste instead, started cooking light exercise and have lost 35lbs and my BP is a faithful 118 over 75. I also got a BP cuff at my pharmacy for about 40 bucks to moniter it every week.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    Watching sodium and losing the weight WILL lower your BP. Mine was higher than yours 140's over 96. I wieghed 203 at 5ft 4 was drinking beer all the time and eating pizza, chinese, chips and put tons of salt on everything. Since January I cut the salt started using hot sauce for taste instead, started cooking light exercise and have lost 35lbs and my BP is a faithful 118 over 75. I also got a BP cuff at my pharmacy for about 40 bucks to moniter it every week.

@laurenwilson60629 I only like to make my own hot sauce occasionally, but I found that I really like Alex's Ugly Sauce - only 10mg sodium per tsp as opposed to 180mg for Frank's. I'm also pickling my own jalapenos.

I used to make all of my own condiments back in the day, and tapered down to just marinara, BBQ, and enchilada sauce. Now I'm back to making them all again or buying things like salt free mustard or making mayo! That's my downfall. I love my condiments. :)