Dairy, egg, gluten, and soy free recipe ideas?

Options
mathandcats
mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
edited May 2016 in Recipes
I'm on an elimination diet to figure out what's disagreeing with me so badly, so I can't eat dairy, eggs, gluten, or soy for the next three weeks. Currently I'm eating a lot of oats, either as oatmeal, granola, or homemade bars for breakfast. For dinner, I've been cooking Indian recipes, or Mexican inspired dishes and leaving out the cheese... but honestly I'm already getting tired of tomatoes.

Do you guys have any favourite recipes that fit these restrictions? I'm particularly interested in some high-volume recipes, so that I can eat a big portion for ~400 cal. I'm not big on salads. My default for this kind of thing would be a veggie-heavy stir fry, but all my favourite sauce combinations would include soy sauce. Also, I'm trying to see this as an opportunity to try some new dishes!

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• mathandcats
    edited May 2016
    Options
    accidental double post...
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    When I did an elimination diet, I mainly ate rice, chicken & cooked vegetables. What kinds of problems with diet are you having? I would stick with very nuetral acid foods. Definitely not tomatoes, have you done research on an elimination diet?
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Also, are you eating gf oats? Are you sure it's one of the 4 things you mentioned? I can't have wheat, corn, quite a few fresh fruits & vegetables due to Oral Allergy Syndrome, I avoid dairy, it makes me more mucasy. There are many things that can cause problems.
  • bulgingallover
    bulgingallover Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For many years I had bloated aching tummy, lethargy and a very sore mouth (so sore at one point I could only drink water). After many tests and cameras down my throat and up where the sun doesn't shine :) I was diagnosed as a coeliac. I immediately changed my diet. Within 2 to 3 weeks I felt amazing!! At first I didn't eat oats at all. You do have to scan through all the ingredients and it does take a long time for the first few months to do shopping. If you want to be completely gluten free, you need to also exclude wheat, rye, barley and oats. No beer or barley water drinks. You mentioned soy sauce which is made from barley usually but you can get a gluten free version and it is ok. So many things include wheat, rye and barley as carriers for flavourings. Your GP should be able to help you and send you for tests. It is really worth it to feel so much better. I remember my energy levels went through the roof!! You can get information and a diary of all food that is considered GF from Coeliac.org.uk. I hope this has been useful for you.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You can eat a ton of this without breaking your calorie bank, especially if you serve it over riced cauliflower instead of regular rice (leave out the hot pepper if your stomach is sensitive to it): Oh, and it's good!

http://www.food.com/recipe/lentil-dal-456

A few more from my GF file:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/bacon-sweet-potato-hash/?

http://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/slow-cooker-sweet-potato-chicken-and-quinoa-soup/

http://www.canieathere.com/recipes/the-best-gluten-free-meatloaf-ever
  • Chip32
    Chip32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For soy sauce, look for Tamari or gluten free soy (Kikoman has one) - check the ingredients but both should be wheat free. For a gluten free soup take a look at http://www.camping.com/camp-cuisine/1968-scrumptious-lentil-soup
  • CorneliusPhoton
    Options
    Chip32 wrote: »
    For soy sauce, look for Tamari or gluten free soy (Kikoman has one) - check the ingredients but both should be wheat free. For a gluten free soup take a look at http://www.camping.com/camp-cuisine/1968-scrumptious-lentil-soup

Yes, a soy sauce replacement is essential!!! I have also used coconut aminos but tamari / GF soy is easier to find. Stir fry some veggies with ginger and tamari. YUM.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I come from a family with lots of celiac disease and egg allergies, so we eat lots of meat and vegetables. Starchy sides are always potatoes or rice - but Barilla gluten-free pasta is excellent and almost indistinguishable from wheat-based pasta. Full-fat coconut milk is a great substitute for dairy in sauces, smoothies, etc.

Also... unless the oatmeal you're buying is CERTIFIED to be gluten-free, you're still getting a lot of gluten in your oats. Bob's Red Mill certified GF oats are the brand we use.

Some specific meal ideas -

Pulled pork tacos - Serve pulled pork in crunchy corn taco shells, top with BBQ sauce, slaw, and corn & bean salsa

Rice paper chicken wraps - Serve chopped roasted chicken, romaine lettuce, avocado, and some kind of vinaigrette in rice paper wraps (what you normally see in an Asian spring roll)

Spicy sausage pasta - Brown some Shadybrook Farms Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage with onions, mushrooms, and green peppers. Add in marinara and serve with gluten free pasta.

Cobb salad - Serve chopped turkey, tomatoes, bacon pieces, and chopped avocado on a bed of romaine.

Go to the health food aisle and look at vegan salad dressings - lots of them are pretty good! My niece has a severe egg allergy, so we make a lot of dressings and sauces with Veganaisse (a vegan substitute for mayo). It's pretty tasty.

• CorneliusPhoton
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ...Are you sure it's one of the 4 things you mentioned? ... There are many things that can cause problems.

She is starting out with the most likely culprits.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm surprised they let you have tomatoes as they can be a common allergy. for a gluten free condiment, I recommend Bragg's liquid aminos. It kinda tastes like soy sauce and it pretty versatile. Can you eat beans and sweet potatoes? You can make a solid veggie burger with those. I use this recipe but you can switch out the flour and breadcrumbs for rice flour I would think. Or even some Besan which is chickpea flour.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/sweet-pea-burgers.html
  • mathandcats
    Options
    ...Are you sure it's one of the 4 things you mentioned? ... There are many things that can cause problems.

She is starting out with the most likely culprits.

Yes, I'm just starting with these. I have no reason to believe tomatoes are the problem, for example (indeed I have not had any problems eating them twice a day for the last several days). I actually believe soy is my main problem. I have begun to feel much better already.

Also, as others have asked, yes I got gluten free oats... Though it is my understanding that most oats have only traces of gluten if any at all - the reason they can't all be labelled GF is because they may have been grown near a grain with gluten and they cannot absolutely guarantee no cross contamination.

Thanks for the recipes, I'll take a look on my lunch break!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    againstallgrain.com/ has a lot of recipes that would work for you. Also check out paleo recipe blogs. They wouldn't be 100% free of the ingredients that you listed, but I'm sure a lot of recipes would fit the bill.
  • LGSuarez1
    LGSuarez1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just replace soy sauce with tamari and you're good to go on sauces. You can stir fry just about anything with a combination of tamari, maple syrup, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes and it'll be delicious. Serve yourself some stir friend veggies over quinoa. Maybe sautee some cashews with maple syrup and sesame seeds to give yourself a little extra crunch and some healthy fats on top ;)
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    We do gluten free soy free glutamate free at our house due to an allergic family member. We like quinoa, black rice, a variety of seeds, nuts, beans, all types of veggies and fruits and lean meats. Soy is in many forms in most processed foods. Natural flavors is soy based. We cook from fresh ingredients, but sometimes fresh produce is sprayed with a nasty preservative, and meat can be injected with flavor enhancers. I'm certain that my organic garden is safe.