Vacation in NYC...how to not gain weight?!?!?

Options
So I'm going on vacation to NYC for 10 days, and I'm ok if I don't lose weight, but I definitely don't want to gain any wieght. I also don't want to completely limit myself or anything. I'll be staying with family in Brooklyn and doing things all over the city, so I'll be walking a ton. Right now I'm planning on buying some Luna bars, apples, and bananas when I get up there to keep in my bag so I can snack on something healthy...or at least have the option to :wink: Anyways, I was just wondering what everyone's done to stay semi-healthy when they go on vacation? I also won't have access to a gym or anything, not that I'd have time to go, so my only exercise will be walking. Any ideas on how I should log this? I have the MFP app for my blackberry, so I can at least log my food, I'm just looking for some help on finding a balance between strictly eating only my calories and not worrying about it and just enjoying my vacation.

Replies

• concealedpearl
    Options
    Walk a lot and just eat when you're hungry.
    The last time I went to NYC, I ate a whole lot of food that I normally don't eat and came back with no weight gain at all. I was totally shocked. I didn't even get to drink a lot of water, because I didn't want to end up going to the washroom a lot since they weren't that clean at all.
    I say enjoy your vacation, eat the good food in moderate portions and walk as much as possible.

Have fun.
  • scaatynj
    scaatynj Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Food in moderation and walking are the two keys! I take cruises and am able to maintain by walking everywhere and limiting my elevator use to when I'm worn out at the end of the day and just can't handle 6 flights up the stairs!
  • BethanyCee
    BethanyCee Posts: 70
    Options
    I live in NYC and I think all the walking has been what's helped me the most in my effort to lost weight - even more than the hours I log in at the gym! I'd say just try to avoid the subway as much as you can and put in as much time on foot as possible. Not only will it save you money, but you'll get to see more and you won't have to deal with gross, crowded train platforms. And of course it will help balance out all the delicious food NYC has to offer.

I'd just do your best to keep track of where you walk and then when you have access to the internet, check it out on google maps. That will give you a rough sense of how many miles you walked. I normally just log it in as 2.5 mph even if I think I walk quite a bit faster than that. I'd rather underestimate than overestimate. Especially since MFP is somewhat overly generous with the amount of calories burned.
  • quishajuice
    quishajuice Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I go to NYC every summer and I do not restrict myself on food at all ( I mean seriously they have some of the most amazing food in the country how can you?) Anywho, lucky for you NYC is hot and HUMID as all hell which means sweat sweat sweat!! I tend to walk EVERYWHERE while I'm there and drink tons of water and even with all the eating will lose a couple pounds from all the sweating, walking, and water drinking. Skip the taxis and let the subway stairs be your friend :)
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I was worried about the same issue a few weeks ago. But i just kept an eye on what i was eating and did A LOT of walking. walking a 1/2 hour a day can burn an extra 500 cals a week, i just read. So if your doing a lot of site seeing that should work as a great work out. the mobile app is great!! i love the bar code scanner!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Watch out for portion sizes!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC and I think all the walking has been what's helped me the most in my effort to lost weight - even more than the hours I log in at the gym! I'd say just try to avoid the subway as much as you can and put in as much time on foot as possible. Not only will it save you money, but you'll get to see more and you won't have to deal with gross, crowded train platforms. And of course it will help balance out all the delicious food NYC has to offer.

I'd just do your best to keep track of where you walk and then when you have access to the internet, check it out on google maps. That will give you a rough sense of how many miles you walked. I normally just log it in as 2.5 mph even if I think I walk quite a bit faster than that. I'd rather underestimate than overestimate. Especially since MFP is somewhat overly generous with the amount of calories burned.

Thanks everyone! Logging it as 2.5 is a good idea, and being an almost broke college student I will definitely be using the subway and walking only...no taxis
  • purpleprose
    purpleprose Posts: 650
    Options
    Depending on where in Brooklyn you are there are some great parks with trails and bike rentals and whatnot. And most gyms in the city do a free one-week trial, so you could find something close to your family and sign up for the free time!
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I spent a week on business in NYC earlier in the month and ended up losing a pound. I walked most of the time instead of cab or subway, ate small portions but tried a lot of stuff, and hit the hotel gym every morning and it worked out well.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I just got back from vacation a week ago, including NYC, so I understand your concern. The walking helped me a great deal. I also found that planning ahead helped me mentally. For example, I knew we were having pizza one night and I would eat one slice. I calculated the calories so I knew from early in the day how many I could eat the rest of the day. You can do it! Good luck.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I have three rules for holidays:

1) Log everything
    2) Set target as maintenance rather than loss
    3) Don't log any exercise unless its pretty hardcore stuff

Its amazingly easy when you are used to a much lower 'allowed' portion. Last two times I came back weighing less than when I left
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    When I travel I always try to start my day off healthy. I am not a big fan of huge restaurant breakfasts, so I have a bowl of cereal and fruit. Then I can spend my calories on other yummy things. As many people said.

1-Watch portion sizes.
    2- look it up and log it before you eat it.
    3- drink lots of water
    4- Walk, walk, walk
    5-Have fun. it is a vacation
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Everyone has already mentioned the walking... Manhattan is great for walking. Another thing to check out is all of the healthy type restaurants the city has to offer. Truly coming here and not having a slice or two of pizza would be a sin... but there are so many uber healthy options available too.

as for logging your walking depending on your phone you can download apps that will help you track or I use Mapmyrun.com but I know the city pretty well and can easily tract my routes.

Just be sure to have a blast while you are here!
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    When I go on vacation or go to a restaurant I'm excited to try, I don't limit myself as to food choices, because that's part of the experience of vacation, you want to thoroughly enjoy it! I just try to be careful as to how muchh I eat, as opposed to what I'm eating. And although I'll eat what I want for the most part, I do still try to pick if atleast mildly healthier options, like instead of getting fries with a burger maybe i'll get a baked potato, or if I'm torn between the chicken and the steak I'll get the chicken, etc. Mostly I'll eat what I want but just try not to eat too much.
  • pixycats
    pixycats Posts: 62
    Options
    I just got back from NYC and expected a gain but managed a tiny loss instead! I walked a ton each day, so I think that helped the most. I didn't limit myself in my food choices, but I also tried my best not to overeat (which is always what I want to do on vacation). Having mini-Clif bars in my purse for a snack helped a lot too. A lot of the cart vendors have calories posted too, so if you ended up grabbing anything from those, it can help you make a better choice. Most of all, enjoy yourself!!!
  • rg4u
    rg4u Posts: 20
    Options
    I live in Brooklyn. I understand your concern about enjoying the NYC food and all but trust me there are LOTS of healthy options here as well. I walk all the time and never drive. I take the subway everywhere and get to walk alot as well.
    You can go online and search for healthy eateries and trust me they taste good. Once in a while you can even splurge and eat some famous NY pizza and bagels. But trust me, its hard to gain weight when you'll be so active.
  • azdmelani
    azdmelani Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC

Walk, walk walk
    take advantage of the fruit stands on the corner
    plan plan plan, most places have menus online

Enjoy!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I go to NYC every summer and I do not restrict myself on food at all ( I mean seriously they have some of the most amazing food in the country how can you?) Anywho, lucky for you NYC is hot and HUMID as all hell which means sweat sweat sweat!! I tend to walk EVERYWHERE while I'm there and drink tons of water and even with all the eating will lose a couple pounds from all the sweating, walking, and water drinking. Skip the taxis and let the subway stairs be your friend :)

I was gonna say this lol...walk everywhere and stay hydrated...you should be ok. And enjoy!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    when i was there last spring i split everything with someone. never ate a full meal the entire time. Talk about some huge portions and OMG so good.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    P.S. Im super jealous!