Most Beneficial Way to Weigh

Options
2»

Replies

• caitmarshhh
    caitmarshhh Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to weighing myself too! I only take my weekly Friday morning weigh-ins into account, though. If I weigh myself any other time it's mostly to see how I'm progressing throughout the week and determine if I'm on track. I also like to see how my weight fluctuates througout the day just because it interests me and since I am less than a month into changing my eating and exercising habits I like to see how my body reacts to different things. If you can't resist weighing yourself more often than you should, just remember not to let it get you down. There have been times where I step on the scale just for fun and my weight is a few pounds higher than I expect, but I know the next morning those pounds won't be there.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I got so bad at weighing that I was weighing up to 8 times a day and it was determining my whole day. I stoped weighing for two weeks. I havent weighed since. Im using my tape measure and weighing every 2 weeks or so. Trying to focus on being healthy and not just a number :)

+1 for this. I think only use the scale when it's a tool, one of many ways to help you measure your progress, and not when you center your sense of progress or failure around the number and one result changes your whole mood. Then it may be time to take a break and just focus on how strong/fit you feel and if you are hitting your calorie goal.
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    When my scale at home was working, I was on it every day! But I used it as a motivation to do well on logging my food each day. I never looked at it as a failure if the number went up. I only "counted" to myself, if it was Friday or Monday. Now that it's broken, I weigh at work on Friday & Monday. Friday keeps me going over the weekend & Monday tells me how I did! But I WILL get it fixed! I want my body fat % back!!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week.

Saturday morning (or afternoon, whenever I wake up).

After using the toilet.

Naked.

Any other variables or weighing on other days just frustrates me, so I sick with once a week.
  • whitespirit1
    Options
    I have the same sort of problem! I weigh numerous times a day, often 4x plus. I recognise it's a bit of a problem and rather strange for a guy, but nonetheless present.
    Aswell as trying to lose weight i'm also trying to tone up, so i regularly weigh after exercise out of interest. I'd love to reduce this amount but can't help but find myself drawn back to the bathroom scales. I think the amount of times you weigh is healthy so long it doesnt have a profound effect on your dieting.

Feel free to add me as a friend! Im pretty new too and would welcome new people :)
  • heatherutopia
    heatherutopia Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I got so bad at weighing that I was weighing up to 8 times a day and it was determining my whole day. I stoped weighing for two weeks. I havent weighed since. Im using my tape measure and weighing every 2 weeks or so. Trying to focus on being healthy and not just a number :)

Congratulations on having the strength not to peek at the numbers!! My problem is if I don't weigh I am so paranoid that I'm gaining weight I pretty much give up, and eat what I want as 'im going to gain it anyway!' humph!!
  • heatherutopia
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week in the morning. If the number's don't move, I don't worry cuz my goal is to lose two pounds a month!! I figure that it didn't take me a couple of weeks to put on the weight, it will take me the same amount of time to get it off. And look I've lost 16 pounds in 6 months!!! You can do it, but getting upset with yourself is only hurting you...you need to stay positive and take it one day at a time!! If you make a bad choice one day, make a better one the next day!!! GOOD LUCK!! :wink:

Also I'll be your friend, just request me!!!

Thank you for your kind words, and well done on those results too!!
  • heatherutopia
    Options
    omg youre just like me! lol. Seriously im obsessed...but because of that I know how my bod responds to certain things that i eat.
    On the negative side, as everyone knows, theres the fluctuation. it can be discouraging.
    I just count the weigh ins i do every morning around 5 ish.....after i pee and get naked of course! lol.

HAha snap! I'm a lot better than I used to be... I would weigh 3/4 times a day and it DID help me lose weight, unfortunatly I went and got myself a job where I say down all day, my boyfriend moved in and I just stopped thinking and the pounds crept back on! My boyfriend has moved out now (new job in a different city) and a plus is more me time, I'm thinking about what I'm eating again hurray! Trying to cut down staring at those scales tho :P
  • heatherutopia
    Options
    Ahh thanks everyone, I tried to reply to everyone who posted, but didn't get very far ;) Thank you all for your words of encouragement, I can't believe how well everyone who has replied is doing!!

Ideally I would like to get to not worrying and weighing once a week, although it is currenly so at the front of my mind I daren't look away from the scales!

I am waiting for the day that I can fit comfortably in one size smaller dress size, I think that is truely the best gift after all the hard work that you can get :D
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I weigh when I get up, after I use the bathroom, after I get out of the shower (this is usually the lowest, go figure) and then again - about 40 minutes later after my makeup is on but before I get dressed. Never ever after work because I find that is just appalling. :laugh: I use an app on my Iphone called Daily Tracker that gives the average for the month and year. Really cool to see the averages for May compared to April and June compared to May.

I may get over weighing 4 times a day at some point but I doubt I will ever get over weighing daily as I did it for all those years when I wasn't even trying to lose weight. If you feel comfortable weighing in a few times a day just do it. The only reason to stop would be if any little increase leads to getting depressed and making bad choices or giving up.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself when I feel lighter. LOL
  • ladydove5
    ladydove5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I weigh only once a week first thing in the morning before I get dressed. That is the weight I record. Sometimes I gain a pound and sometimes I see I've lost a pound. Most of the time its just water gain. If I know I am recording everything I have ate and being active then I don't worry about it because most of the time it's gone when I weigh the next week.
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Mandys_Getting_Fit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself a few mornings a week, naked (or close to it) after using the bathroom but before eating breakfast. I only log my Monday morning weight though. I'm more concerned with the weekly change, not the daily variations, so I don't get discouraged if my numbers are a bit up and down. I chose Monday morning because I feel like I'm better "behaved" on the weekends if that scale is waiting for me ... :wink:
  • jamleee
    jamleee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, but naked, Sunday mornings. I get so excited on my weigh in day, I wake up extra early, jump out of bed strip off my clothes, and hop on the scale. Then I crawl back into bed and go to sleep. As long as I don't gain and I know I had a good week as far as diet and exercise go, I'm happy.

I also pull out the tape measure the 1st of every month, and measure my stomach and hips.
  • AlyBelden
    AlyBelden Posts: 45
    Options
    I weigh in daily, in the morning, right after I go to the bathroom and take off my clothes, lol. It took me a while to not get discouraged by the little ups and downs, but I think I'm there (still haven't gotten used to those frustrating plateaus though).

I added you as a friend :)
  • abellone7289
    abellone7289 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem! I was obsessing, weighing myself everyday 3 times or more a day. It was making me crazy and so discouraged. I Finally made myself stop. I haven't weighed myself since Friday (although I did break out the tape measure today because I needed something!) It's really REALLY hard. Every morning I see the scale and I just want to step on it because i feel lighter, or i worked out hard the day before, or I stayed under my calories....But I know I will just be disappointed and discouraged. That's why I had to stop in the first place.

Feel free to add me. I could use some more support on this front myself =)
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at least twice a day (obsessed a little)....But it has helped me to see that my weight fluctuates dramatically throughout the day and to not freak out if I gain 5lbs in one day...B/C the next morning it'll be back down again..I think I mostly do it to keep reminding myself what I'm working toward.
  • kyledc2000
    kyledc2000 Posts: 10
    Options
    I weigh once a week. My scale also does water and body fat % and it is the body fat I'm most concerned with.

and you are more than welcome to add me as a friend if you like. :-)

What scale does this?