Healthy Alternatives to Salad Dressing

Options
JollyHodgers87
JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
I'm thinking of trying apple cider vinegar and maybe lemon/ lime juices and mixing in herbs with that instead of adding bottled salad dressing this week... Any other ideas for alternatives?!

:p:):o;):DB):*:#

Replies

• willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Honey mustard
  • matuskap
    matuskap Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Also you can make your own, just dont use mayo. Use sour cream a little salt some herbs and stuff. Its usualy very decent in the end. I eat a lot of cucumbers with some salad leafs, tomato and sour scream dressing. Averages to very low calories per gram of food.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    For the last couple months I have been using frozen-thawed mango on my salads. I quickly realized that the mango was so sweet and wet/juicy from being frozen-thawed that I didn't need dressing.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I use any sort of salsa or guacamole!
  • melisweet
    melisweet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    balsamic vinegar - a ton of flavor (you can get flavored ones too!) and very few calories!
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I make a dressing using Dijon, White Wine Vinegar and Greek Yogurt (and shallots and herbs) works out very well and is signifigantly lower than anything that uses oils but still has a nice mouth feel thanks to the thick yogurt
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I just use lemon juice or have chunks of avocado in the salad
  • ardnassac
    ardnassac Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use Braggs amino acid for asian style salads. OR make a creamy one with avocado mashed up and plain greek yogurt (add some garlic, and onion powder)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    dalila747 wrote: »
    You should always include some sort of fat like olive oil in your salad dressing (unless you're already including some other fat source in the salad) because fat really helps your body to absorb all the nutrients in the salad and veggies.
    I like to drizzle mix 1 teaspoon of olive oil with balsamic vinegar, mustard, and some herbs.

This. Also add a dab on honey.
    Or Mix salsa and Greek yogurt.
    Or Avocado and vinegar or lime juice.
    Or just add a bit of water or vinegar to your regular salad dressing.
    For lower cal bottled options, try the Bolthouse Farms or Litehouse dressings made with yogurt. They are in the refrigerated section, usually with the produce, and taste pretty good. 45-60 calories/ 2Tbsp.

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    -apple cider vinegar
    -lemon
    -Greek yogurt
    -mustard(try diff flavors, I like the Chardonnay or spicy)
    -balsamic vinegar
    -SF maple syrup (good when making a sweet maple vinaigrette w/ mustard. A little goes a long way though)
    -salsas
    -pico de gallo
    -hot sauce
    -liquid aminos

Play around with those ingredients and see what you like. If using the Greek yogurt to make either an ACV dressing or garlic/lemon/dill dressing, I'd suggest mixing it in the morning, covering, and let chill/ marinate in the fridge til you eat your salad(:
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar sounds bitter tasting to me...but maybe I'm wrong
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I love wholegrain mustard, a little extra virgin olive oil with some herbs mixed in... and my guilty pleasure is balsamic vinegar - amazing taste
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love lemon juice with salt and hot sauce. I also add lemon juice and hot sauce to virtually ALL my soups. Oh man, I can have soup every single day (and do for most lunches) so long as I have lemon & hot sauce.

My preferred preferrably is Tapatio, Cholula, and Sriracha. So much flavors in those three sauces.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Simple, evoo & your choice of vinegar and herbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    just keep in mind that some fat in your dressing isn't a bad thing...it will help you absorb all of the nutrients in the salad.

I just use lower fat/lite salad dressings...usually a lite Italian or lite balsamic or I make my own...I never go fat free, I don't see the point...dietary fat is essential and healthy.