New to Weightlifting

Options
Hi all,

I've recently dove into this whole weightlifting thing and I'm kind of loving it! My problem is that when I started, I had a friend that was a little more knowledgeable in the area and she kept me on track, motivated, and on form. We stopped working out together though and I'm feeling a little lost at the gym. I use the Fitness Buddy app for workout ideas and watch some videos on form online but I somethings just missing. I'm hoping someone at a similar level or a more experienced weightlifter stumbles across this and would want to help me stay motivated and accountable and/or offer some tips! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    What is your current workout split? Do you do a different muscle group each day, broken into upper body and lower body? Push/Pull? Circuit training?

Also what are your goals? Are you trying to improve strength? Build muscle? Lean out and retain muscle mass?

I have been lifting for a long time, but people do things differently. I think first you should establish your specific goals.
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also just started lifting (about 2 months ago) and I have also found that I really enjoy it! I actually bought the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" on amazon for about $12 and have been following the prescribed workouts in there. It really is awesome. I have never been someone who enjoyed working out, except for walks or organized sports so finding something that I like doing has been incredible.
  • skinbeauty2005
    skinbeauty2005 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm super new to weightlifting. I've been following Jamie Eason's Livefit program through bodybuilding.com and I'm only on day 9. I like that it gives me structure, I'm not just wandering around the gym lost, and it has video guides for proper form of each exercise. I use the app to track my workouts, and that alone keeps me pretty accountable. She doesn't demand heavy lifting right away and the first 2 weeks are mainly for you to get comfortable with everything, focus on form, and then it revs up from there.

Based on your goals, you need to map out your nutrition plan, because that plays a huge part in your success, too.

I really can't advise much, because I'm just starting out, but I'm very interested in experienced people's thoughts. Good luck in your journey. Shoot me a FR, if you want
  • amfunes737
    amfunes737 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    What is your current workout split? Do you do a different muscle group each day, broken into upper body and lower body? Push/Pull? Circuit training?

Also what are your goals? Are you trying to improve strength? Build muscle? Lean out and retain muscle mass?

I have been lifting for a long time, but people do things differently. I think first you should establish your specific goals.

I just started training a different group each day (legs, arms, back/shoulders, chest) with a few abs after. I started with a full body variation each time and then switched to an Upper/Lower body split before what I'm doing currently. I like this much better because I'm getting out of the gym in about an hour now.

I'm trying to gain strength and just be healthier overall. I'm really interested in seeing the number on my weights go up instead of concentrating on the number on the scale going down!
  • amfunes737
    Options
    Hi! I also just started lifting (about 2 months ago) and I have also found that I really enjoy it! I actually bought the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" on amazon for about $12 and have been following the prescribed workouts in there. It really is awesome. I have never been someone who enjoyed working out, except for walks or organized sports so finding something that I like doing has been incredible.

I will have to check that book out! Thanks!

I too have never really loved working out before but have found weightlifting to be very empowering and almost therapeutic!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Find a set program that fits your needs (working out different muscle groups each day or full body a few times a week) and stick to it. Don't try to "create" your own routine, or just willy nilly do lifts because you think they are doing something you don't actually know about, as it may not give you the results you want. I do SL 5X5 and have for a couple years now. My husband started out doing whatever lifts he thought would help him and "tone" the places he wanted to look better. He found out fast that this form of lifting doesn't give you the results desire. he is now doing the 5X5 also and he's much happier with the results.
  • amfunes737
    Options
    I'm super new to weightlifting. I've been following Jamie Eason's Livefit program through bodybuilding.com and I'm only on day 9. I like that it gives me structure, I'm not just wandering around the gym lost, and it has video guides for proper form of each exercise. I use the app to track my workouts, and that alone keeps me pretty accountable. She doesn't demand heavy lifting right away and the first 2 weeks are mainly for you to get comfortable with everything, focus on form, and then it revs up from there.

Based on your goals, you need to map out your nutrition plan, because that plays a huge part in your success, too.

I really can't advise much, because I'm just starting out, but I'm very interested in experienced people's thoughts. Good luck in your journey. Shoot me a FR, if you want

Ooh! The program sounds much better than what I've been using! Fitness Buddy has pictures that show you form but sometimes it's hard to get it exactly right just from that. How do you like the tracking feature on that? Is it easy to use?

And yes, nutrition has always been my biggest struggle but I'm hoping that my desire to gain strength (vs. being focused on losing weight) will keep me on track.
  • amfunes737
    Options
    Find a set program that fits your needs (working out different muscle groups each day or full body a few times a week) and stick to it. Don't try to "create" your own routine, or just willy nilly do lifts because you think they are doing something you don't actually know about, as it may not give you the results you want. I do SL 5X5 and have for a couple years now. My husband started out doing whatever lifts he thought would help him and "tone" the places he wanted to look better. He found out fast that this form of lifting doesn't give you the results desire. he is now doing the 5X5 also and he's much happier with the results.

Great advice! Thanks! I feel like I'm getting a little better at choosing my workouts and setting a plan but I may just have to find a program to stick to. I'm glad your hubby jumped on board with you!
  • aub6689
    Options
    I think bodybuilding.com is an excellent resource. They have great beginner programs, but they also have a lot of things you can read about variations of exercises or about how to isolate different parts of a muscle. While I don't think you should try to create your own routine now, I do think that you can develop a passion for lifting and really learn how to target your muscles in different ways. The more you know the easier it is to change the program if you don't have a piece of equipment available to you. I completely dictate my own workouts now and love every minute of it. Also make sure you are getting enough protein to support muscle building or retention (if eating at a deficit).

Lastly, focusing on getting stronger puts you in such a better headspace than focusing on the scale. I'm excited for you. Lifting has changed my life and I wholeheartedly think everyone should do it!
  • amfunes737
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    I think bodybuilding.com is an excellent resource. They have great beginner programs, but they also have a lot of things you can read about variations of exercises or about how to isolate different parts of a muscle. While I don't think you should try to create your own routine now, I do think that you can develop a passion for lifting and really learn how to target your muscles in different ways. The more you know the easier it is to change the program if you don't have a piece of equipment available to you. I completely dictate my own workouts now and love every minute of it. Also make sure you are getting enough protein to support muscle building or retention (if eating at a deficit).

Lastly, focusing on getting stronger puts you in such a better headspace than focusing on the scale. I'm excited for you. Lifting has changed my life and I wholeheartedly think everyone should do it!

I was on their site this morning reading an article but I guess I should have explored more! My friend I was working out with before created our workout plans for us but now that I've been on my own, I've been trying to do the same thing and it just feels off. Thanks for the advice, I'm really excited about finding a program now!

How long have you been lifting? What motivated you to start??
  • aub6689
    Options
    Yeah, it is hard when someone is taking the lead and then you have to start doing it yourself.

I actually started at 14 years old. My oldest brothers were into bodybuilding and I was a fat little teenager. My oldest brother took me under his wing and was basically my workout partner. He is now a personal trainer and competitive bodybuilder so it was awesome to learn from him and when we are in town together (usually on the holidays, we still lift together).

So I've been lifting for over 10 years, but there was a brief break when as a young girl in high school I had a lot of stupid boys who were upset that I was stronger than them and I listened--Luckily I got over that ;)

• amfunes737
    Options
    Sounds like you two have an amazing bond! Thank you so much for your advice!!