Running when morbidly obese

So I am over 300 lbs but I have dreams of someday running a half marathon and a marathon! Are there any tips or has anyone ever been in this situation and started running? I mean I know to start slow, but let me know how you led up to your runs!

Replies

• willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    Walk 1 mile every day for 30 days and eat 500 cals less than maintenance
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    This is what I did Alternate 1 minute jog and 3 - 5 minute walk. Keep doing it for at least a week or two. Then as your stamina gets stronger keep adding more jog time 1 minute at a time and decrease walk time. It might take a month or 2 to build your stamina to running depending on you. I say go for it. There are also good training guides like C25K.
  • Lenco007
    Lenco007 Posts: 28 Member
    Running can be hard on joints of those (like me) who are obese. I jumped right into running and ended up with knee problems and a strained hip flexor muscle. My ortho recommended slow distance walking for at least 3-4 weeks and gradually increasing my speed and distance until I am doing speed walking for 3-4 miles. Swimming and elliptical were also suggested to help build endurance without stressing my joints.

As my weight has begun to drop, I am now doing very slow jogging, but only on my gym's inside track, which has padded Astro Turf. I work with a sports physiologist who emphasizes strengthening the muscles you depend upon for correct movement before actually doing the exercise. He is also a huge advocate for stretching afterwards. In fact I now stretch for almost 10 minutes after each session and have found it extremely helpful.

• Marycycles
    Marycycles Posts: 48 Member
    I was at 250 started walking got up to 8 miles a day took about a month, then as I listened to music I would jog a little during the faster songs. Within 5 months I jogged a half marathon at 12 minute miles. BUT My knee was not ready for such a pounding and now gives me trouble when I run more than three miles, so I bike, but running is my first love! Also suffice you run on matters lots! I trained mostly on gravel trails softer on the knees and ran the race on hard pavement. Take your time! I know only to well how addicting it can be. It was hard in the beginning but once I got to jogging three miles runner's high began to kick in and knowing when to stop was hard! Good luck!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Running is hard on joints, as mentioned before. Walking is safe for everyone.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    You could try the C25K app to help you get started (Couch to 5k). It gives you a schedule to follow and starts you off walking with very short bursts of jogging. The very 1st workout, for example, tells you to do a 5 minute warm up walk, then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes, then a 5 minute cool down. I believe it is an 8 week schedule total. I'm currently using the C210K (Couch to 10k) app and am loving it. Good luck! You can do anything you put your mind to!
  • willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    You could try the C25K app to help you get started (Couch to 5k). It gives you a schedule to follow and starts you off walking with very short bursts of jogging. The very 1st workout, for example, tells you to do a 5 minute warm up walk, then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes, then a 5 minute cool down. I believe it is an 8 week schedule total. I'm currently using the C210K (Couch to 10k) app and am loving it. Good luck! You can do anything you put your mind to!

210k! Super woman you are!
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    I started MFP at 288 lbs. shortly after starting, i began walking regularly. As i got comfortable there, i started pushing myself to run as far as i could, which were short sprints of a hundred feet or so. As time went on, i was able to double my distance, and start cutting down on my recovery walks between sprints.

The real breakthrough for me came when i started couch-2-5k, seven weeks ago. I downloaded a free app (i use ZenLabs and am happy, but it's by no means the only choice). I also read and posted quite a bit on these forums, trying to get into it correctly.

Here's my take-away so far, as i approach the end of the eight week program, and have already completed a 5k, with another scheduled in a few weeks:

1. run slow! If you can go slower, and still be running, do it! you should be going so slowly you can carry on a conversation while jogging.
    2. breathe from your belly/diaphragm - when you inhale, push your belly button out; when you inhale, draw your belly button to your spine.
    3. don't cross your arms in front of you - keep them moving straight forward and back.

You can do this. Just take it slow, and pay attention to your body. Your muscles WILL be sore as you start, but if you notice foot/ankle/knee/hip pain, you might be doing something wrong. Run safe and properly, and you're going to find me out on that path, cheering you on.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    running at 300 lbs is going to be way too hard on your joints, and your vascular system as it struggles to keep up. Focus heavily on losing weight. You can bike or elliptical safely to start slowly building up cardio and endurance. When you get around 200 lbs it might be safer to start a c25K program while you continue losing weight. thats my opinion. be safe and take care of yourself.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    When I was that heavy I tried it for about 10 feet (goofing with my kids during a walk) and think I loosened every joint in my body from neck to ankle. I was a mess for many days. If you have the will, you'll find the way and like everyone said, be careful! Good luck :)
  • scottnield1
    scottnield1 Posts: 3 Member
    Couch to 5k. Follow it. Ran first 5k at 290 March 2015. Ran 2nd Half Marathon last Sunday at 207.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Speedwalk. It should be hard - walk like you're trying to get somewhere as fast as you can. Not strolling.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member

210k! Super woman you are!

Might have misunderstood you, but it's not 210 kilometres the poster is doing - the acronym is C (couch) 2 (to) 10 (ten) K (kilometres). Sorry if that's not the case! ;)
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,768 Member
    I would advise swimming or stationary equipment before jumping into running. Running especially outdoors can be very hard on your joints and body.
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    running at 300 lbs is going to be way too hard on your joints, and your vascular system as it struggles to keep up. Focus heavily on losing weight. You can bike or elliptical safely to start slowly building up cardio and endurance. When you get around 200 lbs it might be safer to start a c25K program while you continue losing weight. thats my opinion. be safe and take care of yourself.

Yeah this.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Sometimes people have a misperception that walking is somehow "not enough". But, walking is excellent exercise, especially for people who have been inactive for some time.

Just start walking! Start off slowly and build up your stamina over time.

Meanwhile, eat at a reasonable deficit.

At some point you will feel ready to step things up. You can try incline walking, or walking at faster speeds or walk/jog intervals.

You don't need to worry about a formal running program until much later.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Couch to 5k program.
  • MadPanda75
    MadPanda75 Posts: 73 Member
    Thanks everyone! These are great comments!!
  • charleycartee
    charleycartee Posts: 49 Member
    I started off around 340, and I've been just walking/hiking. First a mile once a day, then two. Now I generally do between 5-8 miles a day, usually broken up into two or 3 chunks (when I first get up, on my lunch break, and after dinner).

Between that and tracking my food, I have no issues losing weight (even going out to eat with friends a couple of times a week).

But my goal (besides improving my fitness level in general) is more to be able to enjoy backpacking more, and since I enjoy hiking, I don't actually mind spending the time walking.
  • Sklahsen
    Sklahsen Posts: 76 Member
    I agree with the c25k app! I was hesitant at first, but I too had dreams of becoming a runner! I just completed week 4 day 1 today which consisted of two 3 minute runs and two 4 minute runs (with walking between) I was pretty proud of myself. Just start slow..I agree with whoever said if you can slow your pace and still be running, do it! You don't have to run fast at all!